Thread: VX overheating...what haven't we done?!

VX overheating...what haven't we done?!

My 2000 Ironman has been overheating for a few summers, but only when using the A/C in hot temps. We tried EVERYTHING. Replaced thermostat 4 times, new water pump, new beefy radiator & hoses, new timing belt & pulleys, new fans & beefed up fan clutch, block tested for head gasket leak, changed temp sensor and even changed transmission fluid and cleaned A/C condenser. Turns out, over a very long and costly process of elimination, we had too much freon in our A/C due to a faulty A/C pressure gauge. Once the freon was adjusted to the correct specs, the overheating issue stopped!!! Overjoyed here, as tomorrow is forecast to be 105 degrees!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KristyRemo For This Useful Post:

Y33TREKker (08/11/2016)

Sorry to hear it resulted in such a roundabout process of elimination to determine the problem.

It doesn't sound like this is why your A/C system was overcharged, but your story should be a cautionary tale for anyone putting too much faith in the accuracy of the gauges on those DIY A/C recharge kits as opposed to having an A/C system professionally checked out and recharged if necessary to make sure both the high and low sides of the system are operating with the proper pressures.

It just so happens that my A/C system seems to currently be in need of being checked since the cooling doesn't seem to be consistent, but as long as a proper charge adjustment should last, it's well worth the $60 or so to have it checked and charged accurately.

Grill.
    I live very close to the Mohave desert, hot, deep sand, lots of rocks and Long Steep grades on roads and freeways. Add all this with 112* temps out side and your cooling system can't be on the edge of being able to do its job.

My cooling system would run up to just below the" H" line on my gauge in extreme conditions with A/C on. I tried a electric fan, new fan clutch, etc. nothing helped much.

Last outing in Barstow in a rocky, sandy wash in 112* heat it started getting hot.
    I let it cool down as I was miles from anywhere. Tried to get out of there but over heated again. Then it hit me on another idea and I took off the grill. The temp went back to normal ( just below 1/2) I left it off till I got home and ran to Home Depot for a drop ceiling light grill and made a big grill out of it.. I have NOT come close to over heating since.

Does anyone think air flow on those little grill openings might only let just enough air in to work when every thing is in pristine condition ?

Now I'm going to try my electric fan again. I just hate the airplane sound.
    Last edited by Nikad92397 : 08/12/2016 at 05:44 AM