Thread: Over heating my fix. 1st post.

Over heating my fix. 1st post.

I have read most threads on this over heating AFTER I installed a electric fan.
    (The fan noise was driving me nuts with a fan clutch)
    Once I installed installed electric fans it started running hot on long upgrades on the freeway, it did ok at low crawling speeds in the desert and mountain trails. That seems backwards to me.
    I went back to the stock clutch fan set up and poof the temp was back to normal.
    It runs just below halfway on the gauge in all conditions.

This weekend I was in the hottest place on earth (to me) Calico, Barstow Calif.
    On long grades on the freeway the gauge would clime up to just below the hot line doing 70 mph on the pavement and the same in washes and rocky hills. It was 112-117 outside I couldn't tell you how hot in washes with the AC blasting.

Anyways. After looking at my VX after trying a electric fan set up I came up with this.
    The design on the cooling system is border line (IMO) The opening through the grill is too small to let enough air in when my cooling system isn't in perfect, new, pristine OEM condition in hot weather.
    With around 20"x5.5" opening in the grill and the radiator is 25"x16. It only allows 25% of the radiator/condenser to get a straight blast of air through it.

In washes it was getting hot and I jumped out with my screw driver and a 10mm socket and pulled my grill off. And poof ! The temp went back to normal ( just below halfway) I kept it off and enjoyed my weekend in the dirt being careful not to poke my radiator, I put the grill back on and hit the freeway home. On long upgrades on the freeway, in 110 degree heat it started getting hot again. I pulled over and pulled the grill again and poof back to normal again.

I have a new radiator, thermostat, clutch fan. 225,000 miles on the engine. Never has it got hot like it did this weekend but, I have never took it out in this wonderful weather.

This week I'm going to make a desert, summer grill for it, maybe a hood ven too.
    This is just my fix and will update later after I make a grill and go back to electric fans.

P.S. My window fix seems to be working perfect with no little plastic clips.
    I used a Teflon cutting board cut up.

Went with a FF Dynamics single 3000 single 16" cfm fan with shroud off eBay and haven't had a over heating issue at all.
    You have to ask for the single big fan.
    Everything has been normal and the temp needle has stayed just below halfway on the gauge and
    No more fan noise ! Now for the funny part, feels like it has more pep just off idle. I'm sure it's just no fan noise but it feels better. And yes it's still hot out in the desert.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISUZU-VEHICR...TxmBevhMzakOAQ

Anyone want a new clutch fan ? Lol

So what electric fan did you use at first? I know this might be a silly question, but is there a chance that you had it wired backwards (a very common mistake)? That would explain OK cooling at low speeds.

As for front end design, you do not need FULLY open radiator to work, most cars have obstructed openings, many are much worse than VX's!
    96 Eclipse Spyder GSX (already turbo, AWD swap)
    93 Eagle Summit AWD (4G63 turbo swaps)

My 1st try was wired correct. It was a cheap fan off of eBay ($54.00) THEY said it was a 3000 cfm but I have my doubts. It's was installed directly to the radiator and with the stock shroud.

The new one has a adjustable thermostat so it might be that the old one was backing up the air on the freeway, ( going slower than the air coming in) because it never turned off as far as I could tell.

Another member had good luck with this fan set up curing his over heating also but he had a relay go out a year later and went to the updated stock set up. But it was noisy.

I have been running a FF Dynamics's 3000-3500 cfm big single electric fan ( NOT the smaller dual set up ) with housing and thermostats $300.00 on EBay and it's just been perfect !
    I have had it on for a few months and put over 4,000 miles most of which have been desert rocky washes, long hills and mountain off road trails. So. Cal people might know the areas I go to, Afton canyon, back side Calico, White mountain, Death Valley. I live at 7,000 ft in the mountains so I deal with a lot of long uphills on the pavement also. In the desert we still deal with 100 degree heat and mid 30's mountains at night. I just love loosing the fan noise !!

Anyone in the area want to go just yell, but we will warn you. If you drive a show VX, don't yell at me if it comes back looking like, like, mine.. lol
    Last edited by Nikad92397 : 10/19/2016 at 10:28 AM

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nikad92397 For This Useful Post:

siemprelisto (10/19/2016)