Thread: Carbon fiber hood

Carbon fiber hood

Has anybody tried a carbon fiber hood from these guys: http://svx-motorsport-accessories.st...recafiho.html? Does it fit well? How is the overall quality?

PS: Not sure if this is the right section for this post or not so wouldn't mind if the moderators move this thread to a section that fits it better.

Never heard of them. Unless they can provide you with at least a pic, since one isnt on their site, I would avoid. Not the most quality looking website, heh.

I think they best we had around here was CarbonFiberOne, but they are long gone now. Theirs was only "ok" at best though. Had fitting and cosmetic issues. Plus, their products could not stand up well to weather elements for more than maybe 2-3 seasons. Best part was, they were willing to work with us without need for group buys. You dont get much of that with C/F shops.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Ask for a picture.

The owner of that website is a member here and owns a VX... I can't remember their username. I'm sure they'll accommodate your request if you're interested in buying one.

Aftermarket hoods usually have sketchy fitment at the best of times. Add in the Ceramic Die Stamping process used on VX's (and how there may be minor variations over the run lifetime of the stamps)--and you've got a recipe for almost guaranteed mediocre fitment.

And let's be clear while we're at it. This is a modification that's really best suited for cars that are looking to shed weight so they can run faster. Unless you're trying to drag your VX--you're probably not going to benefit from this much. Plus, you lose hood insulation and (god forbid) if your engine catches fire, the hood will melt.

About the only thing that would make me look twice at this...is the amount of weight that will be added by rhino-lining or similar. I'm not willing to be a guinea pig though--and I'll sooner live with a steel hood coated--than gamble on paying for an aftermarket one, and it not fit--or fail to live up to my expectations.