Thread: anyone ever mod their VX for camping?

Lightbulb anyone ever mod their VX for camping?

anyone ever mod their VX for camping?
    Please post photos or ideas
    thanks

No, but I've slept soundly on the rear seats after removing the headrest, laying them flat, and placing my feet on the armrest.

Last edited by eternal21 : 04/17/2016 at 07:01 PM

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

great links! Thanks... I wonder which ROOF RACKS folks are using that can hold the higher weights than the standard 110 lb Yakima?

Quote Originally Posted by disasterlady View Post
    great links! Thanks... I wonder which ROOF RACKS folks are using that can hold the higher weights than the standard 110 lb Yakima?
    In the first pic I posted, you can clearly see the OEM Yakima racks under the tent. As for the weight limit, you can decide how you want to handle it, but on the OEM roof racks, I've personally transported (one at a time):

-a 300lb Sears Professional cabinet (I have pics) on 2 separate occasions
    -a 300+ lb sofa
    -myself and my g/f at the time sat on them simultaneously (300+lbs combined) to watch various racing events.

That second pic is my VX at the races in Austin, TX. I used the rig in the first pic to feel comfortable with the weight issue. I follow them on Facebook where they are VehiCrossAmerica, and if the two of them were good sleeping that often in the Tepui RTT, I figure it'll be fine for me alone. Keep in mind that the closed up weight of that tent is 95lbs, but when you open it up the weight is distributed across twice the length and supported by the ladder. You will also be stationary when it is open (I hope!), and my understanding is the 110lb weight limit is for while driving.

I'm 6'3" and 220-240 and it has been awesome. In the thread above, I mention Brad at Rock Creek Offroad who is a great Tepui dealer and a great guy to deal with (and support a fellow small business!). Let me know if you have any other questions here or follow #earthboundtravel to Instagram & Facebook. -Doug
    Trooper Skid Plates, OME 912's, Stric9 Sliders, MT 285/75 R16s', Aussies F&R, 4.77s & Warn Manuals.

Thanks for the input Doug... helps ME in my decisions. I really appreciate the weight testing that you reported on.

If anyone else wants to ad their mods, it would be nice for all of us.

No problem, I love to help people. One other thing to note; the tent on both of these VX's is the smallest Tepui tent they make. It's a two person tent, but I call it a "one Doug" tent. lol The mattress takes full/double size sheets perfectly, and it's quite comfy.

The roof rack when driving down the road can experience "G" forces so 110 lbs hitting a hard bump could hit five or more "G's". I am sure they figured in a safety factor. I think that the roof rack would take the load of two adults and the tent as long as long as there are no high "G" maneuvers. I think real world testing is called for including load meters, "G" sensors and photos
    Mike

I went the WAY less scientific way of looking at the two kids camping in VehiCrossAmerica, where they've taken road trips from Alaska to Arizona and Alaska to North Carolina over several years. That's tested plenty for me to have made my decision. That speaks volumes to me about weight capacity, road worthiness of the VX, and quality of the Tepui product. JMHO

Also, Ryan (previous owner of my VX), had a full Yakima extended rack with; 4 Hella lights and mounts, CB antenna and mount, Hi-Lift jack & mount, and tire lock mount with a full size spare matching those in my description (which weighs way more than 110lbs alone) on the roof, and it stood up to road trips with that stuff too. (!)

Great info everyone! thanks
    For myself, I have decided on a DIY modified rooftop tent set up as I can't afford those others... hahaha.
    There is actually a guy's video on his cheap set up that inspired me.

But still open to other's ideas and information ( like experiences with the weight capabilities of the roof rack, etc. )