Thread: Some TLC for my Killer Bee VX

Some TLC for my Killer Bee VX

I had Rancho 999214 for the front, and 999215 for the rears installed on my VX. (I kept the OEM for a future rebuild.)
    * Wow - my shocks were obviously shot because I feel like I am riding 1000 times smoother. I would get the teeth jarring crashing sound when I hit bumps.
    Almost feels like I am driving a different vehicle.

I had brand new drilled/slotted rotors installed as well as 4 new brake pads.
    I also needed to replace my right front caliper.
    Axle seals/synthetic grease and more......
    "KILLER BEE" :

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Awesome...what brand did you choose for your rotors?
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

r1 concepts - always a coupon to attach as well.....anywhere from 12-18% off of what you see

http://www.r1concepts.com/detail/pro...OSS/SubModel:/

That zinc coating is key. I had all four drilled and slotted until my brake pad exploded in the rear and ruined my rotor. Put a cheap replacement on and it got gross and rusted looking within two months...I'll probably need a new set soon. I have some grooves in my front rotors but maybe they can be smoothed out.

Drilled rotors is a BAD idea. Slotted is the way to go.

Ive ran drilled an slotted for 10 years on all my vehicles love them 3/400k miles between them never a warp or crack. Just all on who ya buy from not thin cheap chinese crap
    Dan/2001 Proton/MD

I've never known someone who tracks their vehicles--to recommend drilled. I've seen too many "aftermath" pics. The benefits of it are miniscule, and the risks are great--even for well-machined rotors. It really is, imho, a "looks" thing. Slotted, floating-hats, are the way to go.

drilled and slotted with zinc

Quote Originally Posted by ipd View Post
    I've never known someone who tracks their vehicles--to recommend drilled. I've seen too many "aftermath" pics. The benefits of it are miniscule, and the risks are great--even for well-machined rotors. It really is, imho, a "looks" thing. Slotted, floating-hats, are the way to go.

They are cross drilled and slotted....and they are coated in zinc. They are also made here in the US and are thicker than the crap you can find online. They are also made to order as well. Very happy with them and they have great reviews and recommendations online as well. I only drive my VX about 1000 miles a year. Also one rotor was shot and a caliper was shot. So my differences are amazing in ride, stopping and I guess looks. I wish I could find a nice set of CALIPER covers.

I am very happy.

Paint the calipers. They'll look better than new and you can "get" them in just about any color you want.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Paint the calipers. They'll look better than new and you can "get" them in just about any color you want.
    I want to...did you take the rims off in order to do it? I have a Proton...not sure if I would do it in yellow or in the red?? Still hoping someone makes the nice caliper covers one day as well.

When I replaced my rotors and pads I ended up just removing the calipers to paint them so it was a bit easier, but I would say to definitely take the wheel off so you can easily get to the whole caliper. There are a few Proton's with yellow painted calipers (Moncha comes to mind:http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...y.php?cat=3109) and I'm sure there are some with red calipers too but I can't think of any. The kits come in so many colors now you could really pick just about any color of the rainbow. I know Sue (VX Kat) painted hers purple when she had her Foxfire: http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...-spray&cat=500

Rickshaw in CA has red...they are sweet!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2001-Is...1WwrFu&vxp=mtr

Not sure if this is what you're looking for in covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2001-Is...1WwrFu&vxp=mtr

Not sure if this is what you're looking for in covers.
    Yes - that is - but way too expensive for now....thank you!