Thread: Roof Rail Leaking

Roof Rail Leaking

Every time it rains, I end up with water on the floor of the front passenger side compartment. It took me a while but I finally figured out where it is coming from. My right roof rail leaks. Water runs across the headliner (which apparently is waterproof), then down the right front pillar, then eventually finds is way onto the floor.

Has anyone removed one of the rails before? I figure it must be bolted on from underneath the headliner. I wonder what they used at the factory to seal it?

I am actually in the process of removing my roof rails so I can have my roof repainted. I have large rust bubbles at the front of both rails. The rails are bolted to the roof from below so you will need to remove the headliner to get to them. Problem with that is that most of the rest of the interior needs to come out before you can get to the headliner. I almost had the headliner removed before I moved a couple of months ago, and since then the VX has just been sitting in the garage. I have an extra set of roof rails that I could take pictures of if it will help you.

I don't know how they are sealed to the roof, but apparently whatever it is breaks down over time because you are having a leak issue and I am having a rust issue. In looking at the rails on the VX the seal looks like some kind of foam, but I'll let you know if I get my roof rails off before you do.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll be dismantling the interior this weekend. I'm thinking that I could stop by a body shop on the way home from work and ask them what they use for sealant. I wonder if the sealant "glues" the rails. Hope they aren't too difficult to pry off after they are unbolted. I'll keep you posted. Hope there isn't too much rust.

Here...It ONLY took me 15-20 minutes to find this older thread. (Yes...a complaint about the "'broken" links to prior threads.)

Hopefully, this will help with some of your questions....
    http://www.vehicross.info/showthread.php/24291-Roof-Rail-Removal
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 89Vette For This Useful Post:

Malibu_Robert (02/19/2016)

Thanks for finding the old post. A lot of good information there. Now I realize what I'm in for. Looks like this won't be easy!

(It always takes twice as long to do something than it first seems like it will)

'97 Astral 1334, '97 Astral 1320, '98 Golden Mica 1432
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu_Robert View Post
    .... Looks like this won't be easy!
    Hi Malibu_Robert,
    Did you finally remove your roof rails? If not I highly recommend you check out a new addendum which I just made at the very beginning of my thread "Wet Carpet Syndrome - SOLVED !"
    I thoroughly investigated the wet carpet problem and possible sources of water. I too believed that water must be getting in from the roof rails or rear roof antenna and running along the headliner but since removing the headliner and all pannels, I discovered that water could not pool above the headliner and if indeed you had a leak at one of the four bolts holding the roof rails, you would have a wet carpet directly in line and to the side below the offending leak. You may save yourself a ton of work by checking out the Post: http://www.vehicross.info/showthread...ndrome-SOLVED-!!!!!

Hope this gets to you in time!

Geoff
    AKA Jayd-S