Thread: mystery noise

mystery noise

I'm struggling trying to identify this noise. Recently I changed the rear brake pads. I'm unsure if this has anything at all to do with the noise. After the noise started I changed out the right front axle. Seems to have made no change to the noise although there was no question the axle needed changed.

The noise is more obvious after I have been riding for awhile (maybe 15, 20 minutes). I can feel it before I can hear it. It starts out as a low rumble kinda like going over a light rumble strip on the road. The longer I drive the more frequent and less subtle it becomes. At times if I take my foot off the accelerator it appears to go away. At times it does not. It "FEELS LIKE" it is originating from the right rear. But it is so subtle I am not really sure.

I can not feel any parts heating up after a ride. Using my hands wheels, axle, hubs, caliper housing's,,,, all cool to the touch.

Best description of the sound:

Brrrrrrrrrr,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, brrrrrrrrrrrrr,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Is does not have a consistent pattern.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    Bryan

Try greasing the 3 grease nipples on the drive rear shaft. There is 1 in each U-joint, and 1 in the slip yoke behind the transfer case.

I think you will find it fixed then.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

Kinda worked. now it is only making the noise when accelerating. More of a vibration than a noise really.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Have you checked you transmission mount and motor mounts.

Several members have experienced their transmission mount bolts being lose or missing...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

I will check that next.

Its really frustrating. I feel like a little old lady describing something to a mechanic. It seems not to make that noise when I have my actual mechanic rides along. Right now we suspect that may be because he weighs 300+lbs (big guy). I think greasing it up took out some of the static background noise and will hopefully allow us to focus on what scares me most (the vibration).

I would be surprised to find it caused by a mount. This might sound weird, but it "Feels" like it is coming from around the rear passenger side. Regardless I'm gonna check that out, process of elimination I guess.

How long have you had your VX?? If the ujoints have been run dry for a while, they will need replacing, and will create a vibration.
    Easiest test is to get under vehicle and hold shaft either side of ujoint and turn each side in opposite directions.
    If you observe the slightest bit of movement at the joint, they need replacing.

The slip yoke can tolerate a bit of movement.

PK

Spitballing here, but did you lift the rear of the VX up and try to spin the wheels (while in neutral)? Maybe one of the brake calipers/ parking brake is hanging up causing the vibration/ noise?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

thanks. I will try all three things.

I have suspected the brake caliper from the start. I had to replace it, the slide bolt had broken inside the old one. So I have checked that frequently, it does not appear to be loose in any way, nor is it warm to the touch after extended riding. It is something I still suspect mainly because I'm really not a wrencher, and that was the first time I have ever replaced shoe's or a caliper.

Twisting the U joints sounds like an easy check.

I let you all know what I find tomorrow afternoon. Got Jury Duty in the AM.

Did you find and fix the problem? We have similar noise that we think is the rear ujoint on the rear drive shaft (diff side) it is the smaller ujoint on the rear drive shaft (about 3"x3") and all the parts stores only sell the big one (about 5"x5") they think both are the same size and do not even list the smaller one.