Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mystery Wire Destroyed... HELP??

Quote Originally Posted by disasterlady View Post
    Thanks Y33TREKker!! Sorry about name ... that was WormGod. oopsy. I appreciate the help, now I gotta figure out HOW to get to it... hahaha.
    Any suggestions are appreciated.

DLady
    After looking for the wire from the front passenger side of the engine, I'd suggest working on it from there would be your best bet.

With a small pair of hands, you could possibly get to the connector (between the intake chambers and the engine block) to get it unplugged from the sensor itself, make the repairs to the wire with both the wire and the connector out front and center, then, once the wire is repaired, fish everything back into the opening between the intake chambers and the engine block and plug the connector back onto the sensor.

sorry, life got in the way....THANKS Y33TREKker, you have been of great help. I'm tackling this again, trying to figure out what I can disconnect out front of engine manifold area so I can get my hands into the center of engine area.
    You identified the radiator hose in the manual photo, I'm assuming fluid will come out if I remove for fix? and the other hose? OK to open for this fix?

Anyone have suggestions? Also anyone know what a NEW Knock sensor costs and where to get ? I can see with a mirror that the wire broke off the end flush with the sensor, don't know if soldering would fix and what gauge wire.... would love info or suggestions??
    Last edited by disasterlady : 03/23/2016 at 03:23 PM Reason: need more info

01 Proton 1131; 01 Proton 0504; 00 Proton 0695; 00 Ebony 0285; 00 Foxfire 0032 Donor VX; Complete S/C Engine on Stand;
    Next time I go out to my storage I will get some close up pictures from the front of the engine at eye level.

I remember trying to take a picture of the knock sensor from the front when I got you the others. I don't think I could even see a path to it from the front.

I will also look to see what has to be removed in order to get to it from the front.

There's always a way...

Not an easy location to get to. I replaced my module and connector when I had the supercharger off last, so it was a piece of cake to reach. Without knowing what all you are looking to repair/replace, it was affordable. Given you you arent touching the module itself, the connector is just a few bucks. Usually go to Rockauto to get good comps on pricing.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by disasterlady View Post
    sorry, life got in the way....THANKS Y33TREKker, you have been of great help. I'm tackling this again, trying to figure out what I can disconnect out front of engine manifold area so I can get my hands into the center of engine area.
    You identified the radiator hose in the manual photo, I'm assuming fluid will come out if I remove for fix? and the other hose? OK to open for this fix?

Anyone have suggestions? Also anyone know what a NEW Knock sensor costs and where to get ? I can see with a mirror that the wire broke off the end flush with the sensor, don't know if soldering would fix and what gauge wire.... would love info or suggestions??
    If you were going to remove any other coolant hoses, then yes, draining the coolant system/radiator would be necessary first.

If the wire has been chewed off where you said, you wouldn't need a new sensor. It might be possible that you'd just need to reconnect the wires to the connector that plugs into the sensor, but you'd have to have it removed first to see what you had to work with. The other option would be to get another connector (with intact wiring at the connector) and splice that into the existing wiring harness that's going to the knock sensor area.

Thanks again Y33TREKker, yeah I realize now that I don't need to replace the sensor. The original wire is shot so I am ordering a new connector, I'll be splicing it into the harness as suggested.

I have decided to put some flame retardant aluminum tape over the wiring to discourage the chewing. I'm thinking of putting in some metal netting like chicken wire only 1/4 inch at both ends of that valley to keep the critters out... not sure how, but gotta try something.

Anyone else tried any of this?