Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Moab 2016 - official thread for details, etc....: 05/14/2016 12:00 AM - 05/22/2016 12:00 AM

I think 1-2 might be about right if you want we can try and meet in Denver for the ride up GJ if we are all ready to go around the same time.

Sounds like a fun trail you guys! We get in Saturday, late afternoon. See ya'll then!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

I'm thinking breakfast at Dennys (nextdoor to the hotel) at 9930 W. 49th Ave. Wheatridge, CO 80033 at about 7:30 AM...
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Mike C, what is your route plan as it pertains to (or doesn't) DFW?

Quote Originally Posted by mcaramb@rocketmail.com View Post
    Finally making one of these after 5 years of trying!

Taking my 2001 Keiser all the way up from south Louisiana. Staying at the Apache as well! Can't wait to meet everyone!

-Mike C
    Trooper Skid Plates, OME 912's, Stric9 Sliders, MT 285/75 R16s', Aussies F&R, 4.77s & Warn Manuals.

If anyone will be passing by the Ogden UT area this weekend, hit me up! As of Monday, I'll be leaving on uncle sam's prerogative.

it's the same Idaho number...
    Owner Darlington Offroad Racing and Manufacturing

So...as a total NEWB to 'Zu Zoo and "wheeling", I have some questions I hope y'all will tolerate.

1. How does this work in general? Is there a predetermined daily schedule or more like a breakfast meet-up every day to decide what trails to hit? I'll be basing the rig at the KOA 4 miles south of town (unless I can finagle a deal with the hotel to use their parking lot & lobby!), so I'll need to know where to go or how to stay in touch. I'm open to adding some numbers to my cell if anyone wants to PM me.

2. Does the Zoo include venturing into both Arches AND Canyonlands National Parks? Does it include either?!?

3. Any general tips on what to bring fo' sho'? Things that a person might not normally bring along for basic camping (sun protection, bug spray, food & water...gas & oil)

Thanks...I'm super excited to make this event and see some great stuff along the way & back. Time to get #earthboundtravel on another adventure!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CatFish View Post
    Kevin and I are planning to meet Joe Darlington in Grand Junction on Saturday so we can take the gateway trail into Moab if anyone wants to join us. We are not sure what time we are meeting yet I will post a time when we know or PM and we can exchange numbers if you don't already have Joe's or mine.

Steve and Dave or anyone else if you want we can meet you guys too if you want to take this route, it is easy but a nice drive off the highway. http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=356
    I have a reservation close to Apache for Saturday night (5-14). Are you all planning on arriving in Moab on Sat night? If so, then I think I would like to join you all on this trail

Tyler
    ---------

Ty

Quote Originally Posted by duhgbert View Post
    So...as a total NEWB to 'Zu Zoo and "wheeling", I have some questions I hope y'all will tolerate.

1. How does this work in general? Is there a predetermined daily schedule or more like a breakfast meet-up every day to decide what trails to hit? I'll be basing the rig at the KOA 4 miles south of town (unless I can finagle a deal with the hotel to use their parking lot & lobby!), so I'll need to know where to go or how to stay in touch. I'm open to adding some numbers to my cell if anyone wants to PM me.

It's not that formal. The gang always hangs out every evening (usually just in the motel parking lot) and different groups informally form and decide what trails they're doing. Usually the groups are similar skill /equipment level. THere's always a "newb" group and an "easier" trail is picked. usually it's Hell's Revenge or Fins-N-Things.
    Tuesday has traditionally been for a "VX only" run that any stock VX can do, but since there's so many VXs and other Zus that come, it's really now just a general Zu group and usually do an easier trail. If there's too many people in the group, we've found it's best to break it up into 2 groups as a big group takes ALOT longer and it gets kind of boring having to wait and wait.
    As the week goes on, seems people tend to do the harder and harder trails. Some go on an overnight trail (White Rim), that's farther away.
    The evening socializing in the parking lot is quite fun and spirited, and alcohol may be involved.
    Usually doesn't break up until past midnight, but you can always leave at any time.

2. Does the Zoo include venturing into both Arches AND Canyonlands National Parks? Does it include either?!?
    Does NOT include ARCHES, but there's one trail in Canyonlands (IIRC Elephant Hill) that actually goes into the N.P. NO dogs are allowed in NP so can't bring a dog on the trail in Canyonlands.

3. Any general tips on what to bring fo' sho'? Things that a person might not normally bring along for basic camping (sun protection, bug spray, food & water...gas & oil)
    There's a very detailed list of stuff to bring....I'm not sure you can find it searching so I'll post it again here today. You probably could go to a previous Moab thread from prior years, I've included it in them, so you may find it that way.

Thanks...I'm super excited to make this event and see some great stuff along the way & back. Time to get #earthboundtravel on another adventure!!!
    Also, plan on bringing a lunch/food/drink with you when you leave in the morning. There's a supermarket down the street and lots of peeps buy like a hoagie/hero/sub sandwhich there. It probably goes without saying, but BRING LOTS OF WATER! (And bring plenty of oil for your VX too.)

It's a very relaxed, informal, jovial group of people with lots of fun and laughing. Some bring some food to eat in the evening, but usually a few people group up and go to dinner somewhere together..."Milt's" is famous for it's great burgers, and there's all kinds of other places. Pizza and Italian are 2 of our group favs, and we usually go with a group.
    Last edited by VX KAT : 05/05/2016 at 06:11 PM

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VX KAT For This Useful Post:

duhgbert (05/05/2016)

Thanks so much VX KAT...that helps a lot. I was planning a grand trip of the National Parks around a training in Vegas. I couldn't do it because the remanufactured engine I had to install didn't even make it to Austin and back. Engine #3 seems to be fine, but we're going to do the oil and see if there are metal flakes again.

I own a travel agency and it's the 100th anniversary of the National Parks system. 'Zu Zoo looks awesome, but I can't imagine not hitting those two while we're right between them (I'm getting Mesa Verde in along the way from Dallas,too...then Monument Valley on the drive home).

It doesn't seem like many (any?) others are backcountry capable or willing, but there is a 100 mile loop in Canyonlands called White Rim Road, with the ability for "high clearance 4-wheel drive" vehicles to drive down Lathrop Canyon to the shores of the Colorado.

I'm probably looking at blending things like that and some Arches driving/hiking with 'Zu Zoo events first. That way y'all can teach me how to drive this beast 1/2 as good as it's previous owner Ryan did at Uwharrie!

Cool

I'm pretty sure White Rim is the name I couldn't recall, it's the one they camp overnight. BigSwede would know for sure, he's done it many times.

ABSOLUTELY plan on doing Arches and Canyonlands...I answered the question if the ZuZoo peeps do a trail there......no trail in Arches, and I explained the Canyonlands trail. There's plenty of time for you to go visit them however.
    Arches is only about a 2 hour drive through, if you don't stop to go hiking etc....just to give you some perspective and time planning.
    Canyonlands is much larger.

Backcountry capable or willing??? Most attendees are there for the wheeling. Many have been there many times, so they've already seen the sites, but noobes almost always visit the N.P.s

Absolutely do Monument Valley! It's one of the most majestic places I've ever seen. We lived in Plano for many years and loved going to Big Bend frequently....too bad many people don't visit it because it's so far from everything....that made it even better for us! We'd stay in Alpine for a night and some other great towns along the way.
    ....but when we moved to AZ in '08, and first drove through Monument Valley, OMG, it's gorgeous and amazing! Lucky for me, we have to go through Monument Valley on the way to/from Moab! Double score! We're leaving for home Thursday, if that overlaps with your plans, maybe we can caravan to Monument Valley.

One thing I forgot to mention...usually in the evening there's some wrenching going on ...whether it's new mods, repairs, upgrades or changes...

Uwharrie and Moab are vastly different terrains, so you'll get to experience something that's found almost no where else! Slickrock!

You're going to have a fantastic trip, no doubt about it!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VX KAT For This Useful Post:

duhgbert (05/06/2016)

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    The big question is....

Who's got Monkieee Night Blender sports covered...

..... and I propose a 2nd annual "Thrift Store Gala"

For those new to these shenanigans , Monkieee night is Milk Shakes avec Rum.. and is DANGEROUS !!
    ...and the "Thrift Store gala" is a formal (cough cough ahem..) "Stoop" night of revelry...
    ..with all Zu'ites attired in a max of $10 of thrift store finery ... receipts will be scrutinized !!

Cheers !

Jo

VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MOAB
    Thought I'd post several different MOAB prep lists.
    Some stuff is for wheeling & recovery, some for plain emergency, and some info just for info.

MOAB PREP LISTS:

1) http://www.vehicross.info/showthread...ight=MOAB+LIST

2) http://www.vehicross.info/showthread...=moab+cb+radio

3) http://www.vehicross.info/showthread...ht=moab%20prep

TRAIL ETIQUETTE
    Trail Etiquette
    ALWAYS One of the most common and most commonly broken rules on any trail ride is to always keep the vehicle that is behind you in your rear view mirror. In this way, the group will always be together -- if the person behind you slows down, you should slow down, and this will cause a chain reaction to the whole group. This is especially important at trail intersections. If you lose sight of the vehicle in front of you, let the driver know to slow down -- another great reason to have a CB. This in turn will work its way up to the trail leader and no one will get lost. Do not follow too closely either, especially while going UPHILL. The truck in front may need to roll back to take a different line. When you make it up over an obstacle, you need to wait for the next vehicle in line to make it, so if a strap is needed you can assist. If those below you can't see over the top of an obstacle, let them know when it's clear at the top.

SHACKLES, TOW STRAPS, TOW EQUIPMENT:
    http://www.vehicross.info/showthread...ecovery-Setups

PICS OF WHERE SHACKLES/D-RINGS/CLEVIS HOOKS GO:
    http://www.vehicross.info/showthread...355#post184355

SOME GOOD/GENERAL INFO

http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu/trails/moabzu5/

http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu/trails/moabprep/

http://www.4x4wire.com/trail/technique/spotting99/

YES! You won't regret it! Definitely something to experience at least once.

KEEP IN MIND: You DO NOT have to tear up your truck to have a ton of fun. Some of the gang go on the crazy trails, some of us more sane individuals (well, that's debatable)...but I digress....some of us go on great trails, with some great rocks, ledges, and the scenery is magnificent.

MANY 1st timers (incl me) went totally stock and did fine. On the Tuesday of the week, we used to go on the "VX Only Run"...but it's now kind of been renamed the "Zu's" only and it's always a trail a total stocker can handle.
    My VX was not lifted but did upsize the tires a bit, gained about 1" - 1 1/4" height...and wow, did that little inch make a difference!

BTW, can you tell we have a lot of good fun and laughs while hanging with the gang on the stoop?........
    If you come, you can do as little or as much as you want! There's often an "open seat" in somebody's rig that you're welcome to ride along!
    Last edited by VX KAT : 06/17/2017 at 08:08 AM

16. The Following User Says Thank You to VX KAT For This Useful Post:

CatFish (05/11/2016)

White Rim is a wonderful trail and camping experience, but camping is by permit only. Worth a check because there can be cancellations, but you generally have to get a permit months in advance. The trail is roughly 100 miles long, and can be run in a day but then you won't have time to stop and enjoy the overlooks and side trails and hikes. And yes, no dogs allowed. There are doggy daycares in town.

One alternative is to head up to Island in the Sky, then divert off to the Shafer trail and go down the famous switchbacks. Then you can do a portion of White Rim to Lathrop Canyon, which is a fun little run down a wash to the river...although the view at the river isn't all that much due to the tamarisk. You can also stop at Mussleman Arch and walk across it. Then head back toward town on Potash Road along the river, maybe going up Long Canyon if you have time.

Get the Charles Wells Moab trails guidebook if you don't have it.

Now, as to Arches, turns out there is a 4x4 trail there, I noticed it on a map and a few of us did it last year. It doesn't have a name, but it is pretty fun actually, and of course includes a couple of arches along the way. This is Tower Arch:
    Last edited by BigSwede : 05/05/2016 at 07:22 PM

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigSwede For This Useful Post:

duhgbert (05/06/2016), Zierro (05/08/2016)

Big thanks BigSwede!! I knew you'd know all this good info!!