Thread: Draining transmission fluid and replacing solenoids and hit a snag...

Draining transmission fluid and replacing solenoids and hit a snag...

So,

Couple of weeks ago, the VX decides it doesn't want to shift into 3rd and forth. No grinding, crunching, or other noises that have been associated (limited experience) of me destroying a transmission. so upon searching the web, saw stuff about losing "A" and "B" bands, low or dirty transmission fluid. So I shot from the hip and planned to replace the fluid and all the solenoids hoping I really didn't crush my transmission. Ordered this kits, http://www.electricaladvantage.net/4...t90-99oem.aspx and received it earlier this week. Plan was to drain on Friday, replace everything Saturday, and pray on Sunday. Well, started a day and a half late and as this is my first time doing it, learned some lessons. Definitely remove the center crossbar (4 bolts each side and there should be two hard-to-reach center bolts, though I only had one). Outside bolts definitely need replacing. Started my drain and I did not even come close to the 9 quarts that should've been in there (had I changed my fluid when I bought it, probably would not have had the issue I had). Removed the small pan and found out it didn't have a gasket on top of making a tremendous mess. Be careful, wiring harnesses are very very brittle. Unscrewed what should have been the TCC lock-up solenoid and noticed my replacement did not have the extra body that was used to screw it into the housing. In fact, it looked just like the "A" and "B" shift solenoids. Sent an email to the company so they can explain. Also, just realized the EPC solenoid body may have the same issue. Has anyone ran into this same issue?

Kent

If its blown i have one for ya only 100k on it. Gonna cost ga 2500/3k to rebuild.
    Dan/2001 Proton/MD

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Not trying to undermine you selling your used tranny....BUT!!

A good, full rebuild.... costs between $1400 & $1750...

..at least it does here in San Diego

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guess depends where. Cause anyone ive seen get a rebuild
    Cost min 2k ive had mine rebuilt 2 times an cost me over 2k both times. But never the less mine would still be alot cheaper

UPDATE...
    Received and installed the correct TCC lock-up solenoid and the only solenoid I didn't replace was the "A" band due to not being able to remove the pull pin. Replaced the gaskets, sealed everything back up and torqued to spec, and finally added fluid. Took me an extra week to find cross-member bolts that would work and finally after 16 days of not moving, I got to finally drive it out of the garage. So far so good but didn't get a chance to to get it to full speed but it did hit third gear....
    Kent

What was the part number of the correct TCC lock-up solenoid?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

24425E was the correct number... Out of his entire bin, I happened to get the wrong packaged part...

hi just came acrooss this thread. I just had my tranny rebuilt which cost me 1500 problem i am having now is when upshifting from 3-4 and downshifting from 2-1 there is a hard shift and a bang. this is a intermittant problem and brought the car to the mechanic 4 times until he actually felt it. it comes and goes and can last days sometimes then go away for a week.

the mechanic said its a pressure solenoid. did your car do this? also he said this wasnt changed in the rebuild, is it supposed to be?

Zadam,

I didn't have that banging problem, I only had the not wanting to shift from 3rd to 4th. But since I was doing one solenoid, I did them all. Just be careful of the wiring harnesses, they are very fragile.

Thanks for the reply I was looking on the website where you bought the solenoids and notice that the EPC solenoid does not look like it's for our transmission underneath something. It looks like the kit comes with 4 solenoids and you have to purchase the EPC separate but underneath it says if you have a 2000 model was your VX a 2000 or a 99? My vehicle is a 99 so do you know if I would have that selonid? Also just curious if you ever got a check transmission or check engine light code. I have that banging and because of that banging I blew out my transmission and never once got a check engine or check transmission light

Zadam,

This is the kit I purchased...http://www.electricaladvantage.net/4...t90-99oem.aspx... Hope it works out for you.
    Kent