Thread: GTS Headlight Covers

GTS Headlight Covers

Didn't see any archived threads on this so here goes.

I installed a set of GTS brand carbon-fibre headlight covers on my VX today. Model # is GT0196X. They're not really carbon-fiber, but rather a micro-grid style overlay that is quasi-transparent. These snap on, so there's no need to worry about installing velcro, having a spit-shine polish or anything like that on the headlights. They're a bit "lighter" in hue than I was hoping for, but the smoked ones are also very DARK, which doesn't necessarily look good against the not-quite-black hue of the stock (even mint condition) cladding. I may do a headlight polish in the future to clean some of the haze off mine, and it should be cake to pop these off and re-install after I'm finished. They look absolutely fantastic with only the parking lights on, and it really does improve the overall look of the VX front end, imho.

I have matching tails to install later, but those apparently require velcro, so they may have to wait a bit. I have to say I'd wholeheartedly recommend these covers. The GTS logo can be pealed off (which is good), and for the simplicity of install, these are hard to beat. The most you need to do is pop the hood (since these snap over the top (underhood) portion of the light; you'll also need a wee bit of elbow grease to get these to slide UNDER the headlight gasket (between it and the front cladding). These are also available in smoked & clear; the latter can probably be custom painted to mask off parts of the headlight to give a "pissed off" look.

Pics when I can get them.

P.S.

I've decided to scrap off all of the GTS logo, except for the top part of the T...since it looks like an upside-down Isuzu logo.

My biggest complaint on the rears is that the adhesive on the velcro is white. It would look way better black.

Where do you get these? Looks cool.

Got them off Amazon. The smoked lights have the same part number, but with an "S" instead of an "X" if I'm not mistaken.

I have these as well. I don't know if I am going to put the rears on though because you can see the adhesive so easily...I took off the white ones and I am going to try and replace it with clear. We'll see how it goes. The headlights though definitely add that extra oomphh to the look. People be mirin'!!

I have the smoked versions. Opinions vary on whether a VX looks better with or without since the headlight styling is definitely an attention getter, but I like the idea that keeping the smoked versions on during the day limits UV exposure to the polycarbonate headlight material.

Yeah, I'd love to find some compatible velcro with a black adhesive backing. IMHO, better looking WITH the covers, since the shape is different & it makes the headlights look a bit more pissed off (rather than a tumor-like bump poking out the top). I will say though that I do notice the difference in light output...so LED headlights are a future mod for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ipd View Post
    ...I will say though that I do notice the difference in light output...so LED headlights are a future mod for me.
    While I do keep mine on during the day as much as possible to limit UV exposure, I do take them off at night since it's so easy to do. The stock headlights output more than enough light (especially on bright) that LED's aren't really necessary IMO.

Rather than LED's, maybe an easier option would be higher output fog lights in place of the stock round lights, or some oval shaped foglights in the oblong openings to the sides of the license plate?

I don't want to wear out the gaskets around my lights by putting them on and off constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by ipd View Post
    I don't want to wear out the gaskets around my lights by putting them on and off constantly.
    Just modify (thin) the bottom tab so it slides past the gasket easier.