Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wet Carpet Syndrome - SOLVED !!!!!

'97 Astral 1334, '97 Astral 1320, '98 Golden Mica 1432

Wet Carpet Syndrome - SOLVED !!!!!

Hi All,

I have solved the wet carpet syndrome!

I figured that with age, the wet carpet syndrome is not going to get any better. This is just a heads-up before winter that I will very shortly post the clearly illustrated solution to this age old problem. Bottom line, other than something as obvious as a broken windshield, the problem stems from two manufacturing defects. I have taken a ton of pictures from beginning to end and will use the best so you can clearly see what to do. I kept track of the time it took for each step so you can plan your day! I shall also add some tips and tricks that will help you save time.

Busier than heck with my company right now, but promise to get this post up ASAP.

Stay tuned!

ADDENDUM: April 17, 2016 - Since making this post and especially the post with photos on page 2, I have thoroughly checked for the source of water that appeared to be coming in through the roof. First off, the head liner is curved, no water can pool above it. If water is entering through the roof rail brackets or the rear roof antenna, the carpets close to the side of the possible leak and directly below it, will be wet. The roof rail brackets are really strong, bolted solidly and with normal roof rack wear and tear, unlikely to leak.

Where I did find water coming in was at the top of the windshield to the driver's side where the sealant bead was thinner than the spacers used between the windshield and the frame. It may also have been possible that the sealant shrank over time. Anyhow, this allows water to run down into a reinforcement box section that runs from side to side at the front of the roof. Here the water can pool and with enough water could give you that sloshing sound and a wet carpet or foot when you drive around that first bend! If you parked with the slope of the road to the curb then water will not pool but simply drain from the box section onto the top of the front of the headliner where it will run along the headliner and down behind the front windshield pillar plastic trim and down to the front carpet on that side. See the photos I posted on page 2 of this thread Section 1, photos C and D. There you can see the watermarks.

The fix was simple! I ran a thin bead of wicking silicone along the outer and inner edges of the exterior windshield rubber trim, along the top and sides.

IF YOU HAVE A WET FRONT CARPET, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU START BY CHECKING HERE FIRST BEFORE FOLLOWING ANY OF THE FURTHER REMEDIAL WORK THAT I DETAILED LATER IN THIS THREAD. SIMPLY REMOVE THE FRONT WINDSHIELD PILLAR PLASTIC TRIM AND LOOK FOR WATER MARKS. KEEP YOUR FEET DRY !!!
    Last edited by Jayd-S : 04/17/2016 at 02:39 PM Reason: New Information

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jayd-S For This Useful Post:

CatFish (01/10/2016)

Ugh, I am dealing with this issue at the moment. Had fun taking apart the center console, tried taking the passenger seat out (till i stripped a bolt in the rear). Drying the carpet now and RTV'd the windshield cowl left most screw clip. Hoping to have it all dried and put back together tomorrow while listening to the Saints whop the Cowgirls...

Got carried away...Chasing the leak.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DaGambit69 View Post
    Got carried away...Chasing the leak.jpg
    Hi DaGambit69.

Holy Toledo! You really did get carried away!

I promise everyone, the fix is real easy, will take no more than 3 3/4 hours and will cost you no more that $6!

I am almost done. I have finished the write-up and just selecting the best photos and resizing them. There were actually three manufacturing defects, not two!

Had some rain last week and did not leak, it wasn't much rain though. Need one good pour down to pass its final test.
    Kent

Am I missing the photos?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayd-S View Post
    Hi All,

I have solved the wet carpet syndrome!

I figured that with age, the wet carpet syndrome is not going to get any better. This is just a heads-up before winter that I will very shortly post the clearly illustrated solution to this age old problem. Bottom line, other than something as obvious as a broken windshield, the problem stems from two manufacturing defects. I have taken a ton of pictures from beginning to end and will use the best so you can clearly see what to do. I kept track of the time it took for each step so you can plan your day! I shall also add some tips and tricks that will help you save time.

Busier than heck with my company right now, but promise to get this post up ASAP.

Stay tuned!
    Are the photos posted yet and I haven't searched in the correct places?

Rod

Zzzzzzzzzzz.........

[QUOTE=RodL;308332]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayd-S View Post
    Hi All,

Are the photos posted yet and I haven't searched in the correct places?

Rod
    Hi Rod,
    My apologies everyone! I have been on my travels and just returned from Africa. There is only one VX in the whole of Africa and I didn't get to see it
    I had everything ready to post, then discovered that a small amount of water was still getting in when I drive in really wet conditions!
    Rather than post in multi parts, I thought it better to keep everything in one post.
    I have discovered another location where water is coming in and it is easier to get at and fix than the process that I have already gone through. Better if I put all problem areas in order of easiest to most difficult to check so that it won't necessarily take you a whole bunch of time.
    Its chucking down rain and snow at the moment, so as soon as sun comes out, I'll set about making the fix with photos.
    I'll make sure all photos are in the post if possible. I resized all photos to a small file size so they should all display fine.
    Sorry for the delay!
    All the best, Jayd-S

The suspense is killing me and my the wife. Her VX is the one with the set floor, and I don't want to tear things apart just to find that there was an easier way. Thanks for the update.

I am also waiting for this post. I've recently pulled the roof rack and spoiler off, patched some rusty spots, I suspect that some may be coming from the roof pinch seems and the cowl.

Hi Guys,
    I need help to post this properly. I have written a detailed "how to" with 52 annotated photos. I resized all the photos so I could insert them within the text to make it easy to follow. My problem is that the 52 photos take up 18.3 MB which I believe is more than my quota.
    Any suggestions?
    I promise you will appreciate the end result!
    Jayd-S

I wish I could help I always have to post that kind of stuff in pieces, I put all my pictures I want to post in a Photobucket album then I paste the text, then I copy the image link for the picture I want to insert and then paste that under the text, then repeat for each section of text followed by the image link. I think this method will not use 18.3 MB of space as it is links to images but if you move them or delete the Photobucket they will go away.

Another option is to make a PDF out of everything and then just email it to people that request it from you. I know there's a way to post PDF's on this site but I think it requires admin help.
    Current caretaker of The elusive 2001 "Pearl White" VX - The last one.
    1988 BMW 325ic

Hello all, I had this same problem, after a rain or through the car wash, a severely wet carpet on the driver's side. I discovered that the bottom left windshield (outside) wasn't sealed properly. A couple of strips of black Gorilla tape along the area in question did the trick.
    Raider