Thread: Wet Carpet Syndrome - SOLVED !!!!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    '97 Astral 1334, '97 Astral 1320, '98 Golden Mica 1432

Wet Carpet Syndrome - SOLVED !!!!!

Hi All,

I have solved the wet carpet syndrome!

I figured that with age, the wet carpet syndrome is not going to get any better. This is just a heads-up before winter that I will very shortly post the clearly illustrated solution to this age old problem. Bottom line, other than something as obvious as a broken windshield, the problem stems from two manufacturing defects. I have taken a ton of pictures from beginning to end and will use the best so you can clearly see what to do. I kept track of the time it took for each step so you can plan your day! I shall also add some tips and tricks that will help you save time.

Busier than heck with my company right now, but promise to get this post up ASAP.

Stay tuned!

ADDENDUM: April 17, 2016 - Since making this post and especially the post with photos on page 2, I have thoroughly checked for the source of water that appeared to be coming in through the roof. First off, the head liner is curved, no water can pool above it. If water is entering through the roof rail brackets or the rear roof antenna, the carpets close to the side of the possible leak and directly below it, will be wet. The roof rail brackets are really strong, bolted solidly and with normal roof rack wear and tear, unlikely to leak.

Where I did find water coming in was at the top of the windshield to the driver's side where the sealant bead was thinner than the spacers used between the windshield and the frame. It may also have been possible that the sealant shrank over time. Anyhow, this allows water to run down into a reinforcement box section that runs from side to side at the front of the roof. Here the water can pool and with enough water could give you that sloshing sound and a wet carpet or foot when you drive around that first bend! If you parked with the slope of the road to the curb then water will not pool but simply drain from the box section onto the top of the front of the headliner where it will run along the headliner and down behind the front windshield pillar plastic trim and down to the front carpet on that side. See the photos I posted on page 2 of this thread Section 1, photos C and D. There you can see the watermarks.

The fix was simple! I ran a thin bead of wicking silicone along the outer and inner edges of the exterior windshield rubber trim, along the top and sides.

IF YOU HAVE A WET FRONT CARPET, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU START BY CHECKING HERE FIRST BEFORE FOLLOWING ANY OF THE FURTHER REMEDIAL WORK THAT I DETAILED LATER IN THIS THREAD. SIMPLY REMOVE THE FRONT WINDSHIELD PILLAR PLASTIC TRIM AND LOOK FOR WATER MARKS. KEEP YOUR FEET DRY !!!
    Last edited by Jayd-S : 04/17/2016 at 02:39 PM Reason: New Information

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jayd-S For This Useful Post:

CatFish (01/10/2016)