Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New speaker help, any car audio guys out there?

1999 Astral Silver 0291, 2000 Kaiser 0419
    Mrlarrys, the rears aren't as bad as you think. I planned a whole day but it only took a couple hours, TAKE THE BACK SEAT OUT!!! I think I still have the instruction sheet from crutchfield if anyone wants it.

Again, crutchfield is WAY overpriced. If you're not using an amp, I wouldn't worry too much about what head-unit you want to use. Nor would I worry about iPod connectivity. Get one with a USB port & plug one of these into it. 128GB is PLENTY of music, and you can just plug it in the USB port & forget its even there. I've got one on the way for my head unit. Plus you don't have to worry about the battery on your phone/device.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-...=ultra+fit+128

FWIW, I used quick-splice connectors when I did it. Butt splicing, twist splicing, etc--these all are a pain, hard to reverse, and potentially can fail. The splicers I got are reusable, you just put a wire in from each end, and snap it closed. Cake. For the head unit though, I HIGHLY recommend getting a loom (wire harness). This item plugs into the stock head-unit plug & then is custom-wired to fit your aftermarket head-unit. The beauty of this is that you can simply unplug the loom & directly plug in the stock radio without any work. Plus, if you swap out head-units in the future & you've already chopped off the stock plug, you get more and more of a rat's nest over time.

P.S.
    One last thing. Don't pay attention to the peak wattage of speakers or head unit. Pay attention to the RMS of both--they should be near the same range for maximum results (assuming you are not using an amp).

I have 2 cents.

recently fed my kenwood kvt 516 a knuckle sandmich, it was hungry trust me! I preplaced it with a blaupunkt toronto 420bt... most definitely the clearest sounding head unit I have ever owned. The bluetooth is garbage though. Had kenwood speakers for a trip to moab one year, i pulled them out as soon as I returned home, they were horrible. I went with boston acoustic component after that only, complaint is that the cross-overs should have been setup to solder the wires in. The screw that secure the wires are a joke. I have recently solder most of them in,Yay. On the cheap spectrum of speakers I've had tolerable results with sony explodes, they are muddy but good enough.