Thread: TOD ERROR flashing -Any good repair shops around Hampton Roads, VA?

TOD ERROR flashing -Any good repair shops around Hampton Roads, VA?

Pep boys can't access the codes and the OBDII I have doesn't either to read the TOD system. I'm not a car tech so I'm stuck. The dash shows green for rear wheels but no lights for front wheels and they feel extremely sluggish, no power at all. Not safe to drive. Trying to find a repair shop or person that has the tools to diagnose and fix near me in Hampton Roads, VA. the only Isuzu dealerships are hundreds of miles away or one that I've dealt with before that is a massive rip-off scummbag place not to be named.

If i can at least get it diagnosed i can figure out what to do next.

I found these tools on ebay and wrote them to see if the tools cover the TOD system

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Isuzu-PC-USB...247141&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EOBD-OBD2-Sc...a9a16b&vxp=mtr

All help appreciated,
    thanks,
    wolf

I just use a paper clip to jump pin 4 and 8 I believe. Code 12 will flash 3 times followed by any error codes.
    Chris|2001|Ebony

From my experience, most shops seem to have trouble reading any of the codes that the TOD ECU throws out. Any scanner that would be able to read them would run you quite a bit.

My shop was able to read the codes once I provided the table and directions posted above. Turns out a lot of vehicles use/used this method for indicating non-ECU errors.

Thanks. I'll try pep boys again and see. I'm also reading where the tech 2 tool is supposed to do everything with an isuzu module. Retail $4000 new + card cost. Lots of fakes for sale.

Pep Boys won't be able to. I brought mine in with the same thing and they couldn't help me. A went to a mechanic and he said he might if he had the right adapter for the scan tool. That's about all I know

Good news is using the info provided Pep boys was able to diagnose the problem as the EHCU module. They gave me the report from their diagnostic. They said they could not get it themselves because its a factory part. This was the culmination of the ABS light that's been on for several years. Anyway, i checked on the net and found a pull for same model and year from abssystem.org and got it ordered. They said they carry only factory pulls no aftermarket and they do carry vehicross parts all the time. Here's hoping I'll be on the road soon.

Quote Originally Posted by virtualruffy View Post
    Good news is using the info provided Pep boys was able to diagnose the problem as the EHCU module. They gave me the report from their diagnostic. They said they could not get it themselves because its a factory part. This was the culmination of the ABS light that's been on for several years. Anyway, i checked on the net and found a pull for same model and year from abssystem.org and got it ordered. They said they carry only factory pulls no aftermarket and they do carry vehicross parts all the time. Here's hoping I'll be on the road soon.
    I am having the exact same problem. It's flashing. Driving is very weird (unless I go in a straight line and do not turn the wheels)... My Scanner won't read the codes. So basically if I took my VX to Pep Boys, what do I tell them? Just show them this thread? Is that enough?

I haven't drove my VX in 2 months now
    ---------

Ty

Print out the thread and highlight the codes. Get the mechanic to come in and read them so he understands what problem you are having and how to get the info that is needed from the pin jumping. If they have issues I'd suggest they look up my pep boys (warwick blvd store, newport news va) and talk to them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to virtualruffy For This Useful Post:

tysamigo (09/03/2015)

Received the part, took to be installed, throws code 43 bad solenoid, cylinder valve not opening. Totally worthless. Completely non functional. At least my part still works mostly. Called the place I got it from and they are taking it back. But it seems they are a brokerage and I'm to send the part to the real source of the pull. They had assured me the parts were guaranteed working pulls. Obviously not. Tried to get my VIN # to say that maybe I'd ordered the wrong part because there 'were so many different models that year' obviously a lie and I don't trust them now at all. Wanted to send me another. I said no, don't want another bad part. Long phone waits, finally leaves me on hold and comes back and asks me why I'm still on hold. Then denies putting me on hold said he had told me he was done. I fricking hate scumbag auto parts dealers. So don't order from them.

OK, so my problem was a bit different. Turns out it was a wiring problemo...

After reading this thread and checking my TOD error code, I received a "shorted ground" error code (#13). Looked under the truck at the TOD and started from there...

Long story short...It appears that the guy who replaced my catalytic converters and exhaust did a GREAT JOB on all that...however he didn't route the TOD wiring harness correctly once everything was finished. The wiring harness was laid up against the exhaust which melted through the wire sheath and shorted a few wires together. Once the wires were separated, repaired and secured properly, the TOD CHECK light went off and everything is back to normal.
    Last edited by tysamigo : 09/24/2015 at 11:41 AM

Finally got a working ABS module from Automotix.com $182 free shipping (http://www.automotix.net/usedautopar...11196339g.html) and it works. Note they give you a 1 year warranty! On used parts! Buy it on a visa platinum to double the warranty.

Unfortunately there's still problems. All the ABS problems are gone but the TOD system still has a problem. It drives fine but a mile or two into travel the green lights for the front wheels go out and a minute or so later the check light starts flashing. Everything works, even 4 wheel drive. Maybe a sensor at this point. Pep boys couldn't do anything more as they dont do transmissions or TOD systems so they referred me to a transmission place. Have to call them and see if they can resolve.

I really don't think ABS and TOD have anything to do with each other. In fact the code that Pep Boys said they pulled earlier in this thread isn't even a TOD code. My bet would be the TOD sensor is broken, which was the same problem I had a few years back. I don't think you can get it anymore so you may need to pull one from a yard somewhere.

From what I'm seeing in the other threads they are integrated. Which makes sense. EX:
    http://www.vehicross.info/showthread...43-TOD-gremlin
    "From the 2000-2001 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual
    The T.O.D. control unit receives an input from the ABS system, when active, to apply voltage to the clutch solenoid (transfer)."

Took the Vcross to a recommended shop, Mr. Transmission, but they couldn't access the TOD codes after all. They checked everything else and it was good. no codes from any other systems including ABS. Good people. No charge. I'll definitely use them if I ever need transmission work etc.
    So it's down to just whatever the TOD problem is. At least it drives fine.