Thread: Roof top dimensions and tents

Roof top dimensions and tents

Hey all,

Is anyone interested in measuring the exterior roof dimensions of our VXs for me? I am 1100 miles away from my truck and I'm hoping to not have to wait until I am back home, if someone could help.

I am looking at moving my spare & Hi Lift to a Wilco Hitchgate and putting a roof top tent on my VX.

Any experiences or opinions on roof top tents would be nice as well. I was looking at Cascade and Tepui soft-sided units, but I'm also thinking an Autohome Columbus Variant hard-shell would be worth the investment.

Thanks in advance!

Personally, I think the VX is a little small for a hard shell RTT, but you could still put one up there, it would just look a bit....odd. Here's my build thread from ExpeditionPortal for my Trooper:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...rlanding-Build

I have a James Baroud tent. I like it quite a bit. It's very comfy inside.

Bart

Thanks Bart, and I like your build pages! I had not heard of the James Baroud brand (but I have only been looking into RTTs for a little while).

I guess that is why I'm anxious to know the roof top dimensions of the VX, because if there is no way it will fit, I might as well stop shopping for a hard shell unit. The Columbus Variant is the triangular pop-up style vs. the cube style of your model. The thing I just found is the Columbus is acutally even longer than yours...83". I'm 6'3", so I was even wondering if the Columbus XL would be better for me @ 91" long.

Based on your Trooper photos, I am now expecting either of those options would overhang greatly (but roof top dimensions would still eb nice to know if anyone wants to bust out a tape measure : ) )

-Doug

Doug, you should also look into the max weight the VX roof rails are designed to support. Technically, my RTT could be attached to my VX as well. All you need are horizontal crossbars. The instructions for my tent recommend at least 3 crossbars, and the VX only has two. I also think that the tent, plus gear and two people might severely exceed the roof weight limits, so you might look into that as well. Personally, I don't really think the VX is a great platform for a RTT, but I have seen Mini Coopers and plenty of Subarus with RTTs.

Bart

Yeah, I'm looking into the weight as well. I don't know anyone who would sleep in the thing with me, so that eliminates at least 100+ pounds, and I was considering the investment in the Columbus Carbon Fiber model (but yikes $$$$$!!).

It's all conceptual right now, and dimensions and weights could make it a short consideration...which is why I sent out the favor request for measurements.

-Doug

It's looking like I'm going to have to go back to soft shells...this is a Tepui Ayer closed up, and that is 48" front to back. Another 35" would hang WAY over and I really doubt the rail system could be utilized in a way that would work.

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...c5&oe=56565506

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    I found this a while back...

http://www.vehicross.info/showthread...=roof+top+tent

I wanted a roof top tent for a bit but decided the VX roof was a bit too narrow. IMO, the side view looks a bit funny in the pic too.

I was looking at using a Wilco Hitchgate and got Wilco to send me dimensions. Using a Curt Hitch, the rear door of the Vx is unable to clear the Wilco Hitchgate without either modifying the Hitchgate, modifying the Vx rear door, or using frame spacers to bump the Curt hitch lower. I talked with Wilco about a custom built Hitchgate and they seemed receptive but the talks fizzled after some back and forth. Think I'm going to cut the Vx back like VXorado did for full size spare mounting.

So is the Tepui Ayer the best fit rooftop tent you've found so far? I'd like something like that for camping as well.

Also, any more thoughts on max weight the roof rails can take?

The Tepui Ayer is one of the smallest closed footprint RTTs I've found

Size (Closed) 48" X 42" X 11" (WxLxH)
    Size (Open) 48" X 84" X 39" (WxLxH).

I am also looking at the Cascadia Mt. Bailey because it is a bit bigger for my 6'3" frame

Size: 48"W x 96"L x 45"Ht. (Open) Actual sleeping footprint
    Size: 48"W x 48"L x 15.5" Ht. (Closed)

Both weigh 95 pounds per se, which meets the 110lb dynamic weight rating of the VX roof racks. Keeping bedding inside, plus exterior lights, CB antenna, etc will add bits & weights to that to test the rating limit.

Based on the VX RTT sites I've seen/posted, the static weight of two people sleeping in one has been proven, and for me it only needs to support one, so I am confident with going forward with one of the units mentioned here.

I was hoping for space for the AutoHome Columbus because setup would be 30 seconds vs. ??? minutes to setup one of these soft-siders. (I've seen mention of around 7 minutes, which is no biggie unless the weather sucks. The hard shell is way more aerodynamic and will last decades in the elements as well...this is a rather permanent addition to my VX because I don't have storage to take it off! :P

-Doug

PS- I would still REALLY love for someone with a tape measure & 3 minutes of spare time to post the dimension of the VX roof (noting which is front-back and side-side)...just sayin'

-Doug

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Here is what I have:
    From seam to seam:

Width in front - 40"
    Width in rear - 37"

Front - Back:
    70" from windshield seam to rear door
    65 1/2 " from windshield seam to the front of the radio antenna

Hope that helps.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Here is what I have:
    From seam to seam:

Width in front - 40"
    Width in rear - 37"

Front - Back:
    70" from windshield seam to rear door
    65 1/2 " from windshield seam to the front of the radio antenna

Hope that helps.

Thanks so much, Mile High!!!
    Trooper Skid Plates, OME 912's, Stric9 Sliders, MT 285/75 R16s', Aussies F&R, 4.77s & Warn Manuals.

@duhgbert

Here is Ala5ka's threads:
    http://www.vehicross.info/showthread...ighlight=tepui
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...EHIcross/page3

He has the Tepui RTT as well. Maybe hit him up and find out how the stock rack is holding up to the weight.
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)