Thread: Body Lift Guys

Body Lift Guys

I think I posted when I 1st did my body lift that it was binding up when turning the steering wheel. & no one had experienced that before. Well it seemed to loosen up & steer properly until I drove it a couple days & when making a turn it bound up for a second & then felt normal. It scared the hell out of me when it happened, but didn't seem to happen again for the past 6 months & probably 3-4K miles. Today when I was leaving work & going over our speed bumps (slow with the torsion bars cranked). I felt a pop & then felt like I had no power assist. I turned into a lot & the intermediate shaft actually came apart completely! Ripped the rubber boot & there are pieces missing that hold the upper & lower 1/2's of the shaft together. I know no one posted that they had problems after a body lift but I definitely have. I'll probably get one fabed up with u-joints that will take the angle better from the firewall to the steering box. I'm very happy this came apart at 5mph going straight!!! Sunday I was drag racing this thing at 80mph & I drive on the freeway 25 miles to work at around 75mph! thanking someone up high for the timing!!!

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Never had any issues with the slip yoke on the steering shaft. Did you have the steering extension installed on the steering box?

I had this issue when I put my body lift on. Losses up the bolt that goes on you steering column knuckle and then tighten it back up. This is what fixed mine. Hope this helps
    That others may Live
    Warrior Automotive
    Jake

I had the steering shaft loose on the box, but couldn't compress it enough to install the extension. Looks like I'm going to have to take the column out & have some machine work done. If you have taken the slip joint apart, there are 2 square pieces that fit on 2 pins on the lower shaft. I lost 1 of the square pieces when it came apart. I may end up fabing another ujoint up near the firewall & a different style slip shaft.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    I had the same issue installing the shaft extender. I heard later that you need to remove the steering box to install the extender. Anyway, glad it happened in a parking lot!

I took the steering column out today & the lower 1/2 off the steering box so I could clean the grease out & get a better look at it. I found all the pieces that fell out when it came apart. Only problem I'll have is the boot is ripped in 1/2. you can't buy just the boot. Do you know of anyone with a damaged steering column that may sell me the boot off of it??