Thread: Transmission Fluid/ Filter Replacement ... One More Time

Transmission Fluid/ Filter Replacement ... One More Time

I know, I know. This has been talked about ad nauseam, but that is why I'm confused right now. I've read multiple threads regarding changing the transmission fluid and filters so I wanted to get current opinions about this topic. I have changed my transmission fluid before without a problem, but in getting Vicki ready for Moab I am having a shop replace the catalytic converters (they were bad) and they are suggesting changing the transmission filters since, to my knowledge, they have never been changed in the 160k miles that Vicki has on her.

I know NOT to get the transmission flushed, but what is your opinion about changing the fluid and the filters (in particular)?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

My opinion is leave well enough alone. Especially this close to MOAB.

you would hate to ruin your trip over fixing a "non-issue"

I bought a filter kit and replaced it myself when I bought my first VX with 51K miles back in 2009. Very easy to do, no need to go to a shop. When replacing it there is a magnet in the cover - clean the magnet from all the metal dust that sticks to it. I think it's good to replace it especially if it has never been done but do it after MOAB. It has run for 160K without the filter replaced and will sure run through MOAB just fine with the old filter.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    The previous owner of mine did it at 60K with no issues that I know of.

I had it done at 100K with filter and fluid but no flush as you stated above. The only issue that I had was that once, and only once, the day after I got a missed shift and an auto trans temp light. Pulled over, shut it off, restarted it and for the last 23K have had no issues...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by mikemol View Post
    Very easy to do, no need to go to a shop.

insert 2cents

True, very easy to do except how many of the 16 dirty and worn out quarts that is pumped out and replaced by the shop method that is still sitting in the converter and elsewhere that didn't drained out. I'll stick with the shop method of pumping out all of the old fluid. And besides, I'd rather have a good grade of ***** on me then transmission fluid.

just my 2 cents worth
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

True ^^ I drained and filled my own not long ago and only got around 4 quarts out! I did not drain the cooler lines or front pan however. I'd let a shop do it if I were doing it again. I will be replacing my solenoids however in a few weeks and will replace the filter and refill with fresh fluid since I will already have the pans dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by mattferguson14 View Post
    True ^^ I drained and filled my own not long ago and Blocked Drains Croydon and only got around 4 quarts out! I did not drain the cooler lines or front pan however. I'd let a shop do it if I were doing it again. I will be replacing my solenoids however in a few weeks and will replace the filter and refill with fresh fluid since I will already have the pans dropped.
    call the drain cleaner.