Thread: Did I screw up my timing? Timing belt replacement

Thumbs down Did I screw up my timing? Timing belt replacement

Ok, I took the plunge to replace my timing belt at 122K; I was on borrowed time. I'm using Bart's How-to and got to the point of successfully aligning both Camshaft and the Crankshaft green reference marks. I could not make out any lines on my original Isuzu belt; I had no markings remaining and I couldn't see the dotted line that is supposed to be at about 8 o'clock on the crankshaft. So I did about one full revolution and aligned the three reference marks. When I released the push tensioner, my camshafts pulleys sprung to RH 9 o'clock and LH 3 o'clock. Bart's How to says they should both spring to 12 o'clock)

So...am I in trouble here? Am I 180 degrees out? Can I install the new belt while pulling the camshafts back to midline to their reference marks (if they were both at 12 o'clock you would pull both to the outsides to get to the 10 and 2 reference marks) or do I need to go through the scary-sounding instructions for when camshaft timing has been disrupted?

Any advice is appreciated. Call if you'd rather. I'm worried and really need the VX next week for work. Thanks, Bren.

Bren Workman
    Gretna, NE
    (C) 402-312-1992

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm looking now for how to retime the camshafts. I found the tutorial also in the How-to section, that basically says to rotate the odd bank camshaft (passenger side) until it pops into the 12 position. The even bank is supposed to pop to 9 first, then continue rotating and pop to 12. I'm cautiously going to try this now.

With multiple "snaps" at varios positions, both camshafts' reference marks have snapped to the 12 o'clock position. With the crankshaft also ar the 3 o'clock position, hopefully I'm fine. The Workshop Manual is useless for info. on setting crankshaft timing. Fingers crossed.

01 Proton 1131; 01 Proton 0504; 00 Proton 0695; 00 Ebony 0285; 00 Foxfire 0032 Donor VX; Complete S/C Engine on Stand;
    @workmeistr

I have not done the timing belt as yet.

From what I have read and have come to understand, this is non-interference engine. Therefor you should not have any problems spinning your crank or cams into position.

Good luck...You'll get it done

Everthing turned out fine. Bottom line, ensure camshafts snap to 12 o'clock. If they don't automatically when removing belt, just do it afterwards. As long as the Crankshaft is on its mark, all will be well to do the Camshafts afterwards. After installing the belt, I turned the Crankshaft many revolutions to ensure all three marks lined up correctly. Thanks also nfpgasmask Bart, for words of inspiration. If anyone is contiplating or on the fence about doing the job yourself, feel free to call me and I can help you through the process. Bart's How-to was a life saver and I'm glad I did the job myself. It gives me peace of mind that it's done right and saved me a bunch of dough.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Congrats Bren...nothing like that feeling of accomplishment!
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

GTK Bren. I may need to call you whenever I get back to working on Boy's VX. I'm pretty sure we lost timing reference whenever we were replacing head gaskets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.