Thread: Oil can catch...

Oil can catch...

hey guys...

As with everyone else who owns a VX, I became concerned about the excessive oil consumption issue that these motors were notorious for. After reading about Tom's catch can mod, I decided to give that a try. Here are some pics:

I purchased an oil catch can from ebay and installed it last weekend. Basically, modified the oem pcv valve to remove the internal spring valve and make it an open nozzle to have a better seal attachment to the cover and a clear passage to the can.

Had to make a custom metal bracket to attach the can to the brake fluid reservoir bracket since I no longer have the oem air filter box in place to attach to. As with Tom's can, this mod replaces the pcv valve itself too.

Drove the car like normal for a couple hundred miles (mostly freeway) during the week. Noticed that oil consumption had reduced quite a bit. I'll need to see how much over time. But you can see that a small puddle of oil rests at the bottom of the vial after a couple hundred miles.

Also noticed that the VX felt a little more peppier driving around. Not sure if it's a mental thing or whether the unrestricted passageway to the catch can made a difference for the pressure buildup in the valve covers or not. Either way, it's still too early to tell whether it made a difference or not. In the mean time, I'll be monitoring the oil consumption and see how it goes with this mod.
    For custom VehiCross skidplates and accessories, check out:
    www.aftershockproducts.com

Good post.

I meant to follow up with my install. I'm still at a lower consumption as well. I noticed the other day that the breather/filter I installed on the oil fill cap is getting quite dirty ... so I rekin that one is helping out as well. Maybe it's time to try the crossover instead of replacing the filter ... NAH, not quite through procrastinating yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Can you post a link to the unit you installed?
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Looks to be this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEGS-Perform...d2ea16&vxp=mtr

I like this one also and you can add a breather but not sure it's worth the extra $40:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADD-W1-Baffl...3D400553077270
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    Looks to be this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEGS-Perform...d2ea16&vxp=mtr

I like this one also and you can add a breather but not sure it's worth the extra $40:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADD-W1-Baffl...3D400553077270
    DANG...WTH is up with their pricing???... http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADD-W1-UNIVE...item19eda3f369

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    DANG...WTH is up with their pricing???... http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADD-W1-UNIVE...item19eda3f369
    Yeah, I saw those. Since this was more experimental, I wanted to spend as less money in case it turned out to be a dud. However, I do like the transparent casing to be able to see the oil level on this one. rudy

Don't expect the transparency to last too long. It's gonna get pretty grodie (sp?) pretty quick.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Is there any added value for the ones with the breather?

I will be doing this project in the not to distant future. I did an oil change last night and my PCV was full of oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    Is there any added value for the ones with the breather?
    Not really - other than as an overflow port if you don't empty accumulated oil in the can

If you want to add a breather, you'd get more benefit from adding one to the oil fill cap since it's on the other bank of valves.

Don't need no discussion about there being a channel between the banks to equalize pressure. I did it on the 3.2L in the Amigo & it seemed to help. Rekin my next step will be to put in Rotella at next oil change.

One suggestion is to mount the catch can at some distance from the PCV port on the valve cover and at a slightly uphill run. That'll allow oil to condensate inside the tube & run back into the valve cover. That way you'll keep more in the pan & less in the can. A service loop (upward gooseneck) wouldn't be a bad approach either.

It has been my experience that using a catch can with a breather anywhere in the system is a waste of time. Once you add a breather you lose vacuum on the crankcase and allow unmeatered air into the system. There are several reasons why this is not a good idea. The best answer for a NA setup is to to have the pcv system tap either each valve cover, or just the valley cover (like the LS6), run to a catch can and then to the intake with a pcv valve. The trick to getting a catch can to remove the most amount of oil is to make sure you get one with the inlet closer to the bottom of the can and the outlet near the top. Another important piece of the puzzle is to get one that is baffled, or at least install steel wool. All this combines to help remove a surprising amount of oil. Now if you have gone forced induction the system needs to be a bit different but it doesn't look like many have gone that route here. I'm still not very familiar with this engine but once I get some more time with it I'll do my best to help come up with a good catch can setup, it seems to be very necessary on this engine. I don't mean to offend anyone or anything, this is just from my experience on LSX motors and rwd 3800II's. Sorry for the long winded post.

Make a trip to Home Depot and pick up an air water separator from the tool section. Google search "Home Depot oil catch can" total price ~$20. I've had one for years sitting in my tool box, think I'll get that installed soon.

Lowes has $12 item