Thread: The crazy canucks LS4 swap?

The crazy canucks LS4 swap?

Hokay... first off... yes... I am crazy… second... well I guess I didn't think of a second thing... hmmm (see first point)

So down to the task at hand.. a swap thats been kicked around more than that stray soup can that you kicked when you were a wee little one.

For simplicity I decided to go the LS4 route because a few members here said that it will bolt up to the 4L30E so I won't have to put in a different trans and complicate things more.

The mechanical should be pretty easy.
    • Motor mounts
    • Make a starter mount bracket to mount the starter on the engine.
    • Install diff drop brackets.

The electrical is a bit harder.
    I was talking to a guy on the LS1tech forum and he said that if I find the wiring diagram for a 4L60E trans then I should be able to match up the 4L30E wiring to a new plug and play harness that uses the 4L60E. I would just have to get the ECM tuned to run the 4L30E.

I printed out the diagram for the 4L30E and I found out something interesting…. I have no idea what the F@^$ I'm looking at.

If I install the 24X LS4 then I don't have to change over to DBW so I can retain the cruise control.

sooooo if anyone would like to offer up some advice on the wiring, you'd be doing me a huge favour.

thanks,
    your friendly neighbourhood crazy canuck
    Make it yours, but make it classy........ unless theres zombies.........thats when the gun rack goes in.

I can't help you out with the wiring diagram but I might be able to aid you with the diff drop. I think I have a set of diff brackets in the garage. I could get Welder Guy to modify them or ship them off to Darlington for him to modify for you. The only catch is that I'd need your brackets back eventually since these are earmarked for my own future project.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Diagram can be very confusing, if you are not used to reading it. Start by creating ECU pinout spreadsheet. See how many wires go between engine and transmission computers and what they actually do. Then, try to find them on the diagram. Next, you will have to make sure that signals are compatable.
    96 Eclipse Spyder GSX (already turbo, AWD swap)
    93 Eagle Summit AWD (4G63 turbo swaps)