Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket radio + VX antenna?

'01, Dragon Mica Green NO MORE, 1393 SOLD

Aftermarket radio + VX antenna?

I noticed our VX antennas are identical to the one my VW GTI had. The VW Fuba antenna was amplified and the factory radio sent power to the antenna. When installing aftermarket radios a DIN-12 adpater was required to provide the antenna with a power lead.

Is that necessary with the VX antenna?

I checked behind the dash the other day and noticed a blue wire running along side the antenna cable. This blue wire ends at a small plug which is plugged to an orange wire running to the factory radio harness. Does this wire feed power to the antenna?

Thanks.

When I replaced my head unit with a Pioneer I didn't and it works just fine!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Anyone have any further input on this? I just swapped out my stock radio w/an Alpine head unit and the AM reception is almost non existent. I used a Crutchfield harness, but am now thinking that the extra wire that was jumped into the factory harness at the connector might have been power for the antenna which the aftermarket harness doesn’t account for. Toughts??

i dont have any trouble with reception and i didnt even use the factory harness for my wiring, i ran a new power, new ground etc, only wire i used from the factory unit was to dim the faceplate when the headlights are on

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by paultvx
    I noticed our VX antennas are identical to the one my VW GTI had. The VW Fuba antenna was amplified and the factory radio sent power to the antenna. When installing aftermarket radios a DIN-12 adpater was required to provide the antenna with a power lead.

Is that necessary with the VX antenna?

I checked behind the dash the other day and noticed a blue wire running along side the antenna cable. This blue wire ends at a small plug which is plugged to an orange wire running to the factory radio harness. Does this wire feed power to the antenna?

Thanks.
    When I installed my aftermarket headunit, I used a generic wiring harness/pigtail purchased at a car audio shop. I don't recall any additional power needed for the antenna.

But I'm a little unsure about why you would send power to an antenna anyway. If you need to amplify the signal, you could do that in the radio. Remember, that antenna isn't sending anything OUT, it's only recieving signals. VW's are weird - maybe they wired something else to it also, like a HomeLink connection?
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Unfortunately, I don’t even have an antenna. When I bought mine there was nothing but the stand. I get fairly good reception in town but when I head home, which is kinda up in the mountains, it gets crappy. So if anyone knows of any good replacement options I’ll be open to those

Fuba antenna, same as used on late model VW's.

Plentiful and cheap on ebay and probably elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorak

Hmmmm, those Fuba antenna's look powered. That might have actually answered my question...

Quote Originally Posted by Zorak

So if I get that sucker it will screw right in?

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn
    Unfortunately, I don’t even have an antenna. When I bought mine there was nothing but the stand. I get fairly good reception in town but when I head home, which is kinda up in the mountains, it gets crappy. So if anyone knows of any good replacement options I’ll be open to those
    http://www.antennax.com/

Click on "Volkswagen" and then click on "page 2" then select "GTI".

Cheap replacements with quick shipping. It's where I got my last one.

Same here, when I swapped out the OEM with a Pioneer, plugged right in. In fact I had to buy an extension ant. lead since I mounted mine in the lower hole where the cd changer was.

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker

Click on "Volkswagen" and then click on "page 2" then select "GTI".

Cheap replacements with quick shipping. It's where I got my last one.
    thanks alot!!! after I posted that I went for a drive and put my foot in my mouth and had some crappy reception.

I swapped my head unit too, and I have no issues. But then again, why the heck would you wanna listen to the radio anyway? Its nothin but mainstream pop garbage, jesus channels and country???

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    why the heck would you wanna listen to the radio anyway? Its nothin but mainstream pop garbage, jesus channels and country???

Bart

There are only three halfway decent stations here. I bet there was more in Chicago

Actually, Chicago was pretty bad too, there were just MORE mainstream pop garbage channels to choose from. So if you got sick of listening to one hideous mainstream pop song, you could just change the station and hear it again on a different one

There is one station I like: NPR. Its the only thing I can listen too. Maybe I really am getting old? Or maybe I am just extremely close minded when it comes to music

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn
    There are only three halfway decent stations here. I bet there was more in Chicago