Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket radio + VX antenna?

That's one of the three

OK, the radio was really pissing me off so I ripped the dash apart tonight to check things out. I verified that the stock VX antenna is indeed powered (12v). The problem was that the Crutchfield wiring harness did not acknowledge the antenna pin and therefore didn't connect it to the antenna power. The stock antenna must be tuned to receive FM bands, as the FM stations sounded fine without power. The 12v must be to amplify the AM. So all of you with aftermarket head units that get crappy AM signals, check for the antenna power!!

Oh and as for listening to the tuner, I have Sirius and my iPod hooked up for music, the AM is for sports radio (since Sirius doesn't carry MLB). I don't ever listen to FM.

Quote Originally Posted by PitViper

Oh and as for listening to the tuner, I have Sirius and my iPod hooked up for music, the AM is for sports radio (since Sirius doesn't carry MLB). I don't ever listen to FM.
    Around here the AM sux sooo much worse than the FM. We would be better off finding a Podcast and listening to sports talk that way

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn
    Around here the AM sux sooo much worse than the FM. We would be better off finding a Podcast and listening to sports talk that way
    Sports Radio 660AM (WFAN) is quite good around here. I could live without just about every other AM/FM station though. Besides, it would be tough to listen to a live game with a podcast

true true... I dont really listen or watch too many sports any how so that didnt occur to me.. I watch MMA fights and thats about it

Talking

To Bart, and other's. Why listen to radio?.... easiest way to tune in XM (or Sirrus). Imagine, a genres of music that you really really enjoy,... played non-stop.

Best money I've wasted in a long long time. Actually listening to it right now on the computer as we,...type.

just my 2 cents

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329
    Anyone have any further input on this? I just swapped out my stock radio w/an Alpine head unit and the AM reception is almost non existent. I used a Crutchfield harness, but am now thinking that the extra wire that was jumped into the factory harness at the connector might have been power for the antenna which the aftermarket harness doesn’t account for. Toughts??
    AM 'should' use a ferrite dipole loop antenna inside the radio itself. I dont think the roof antenna affects AM at all... But I could be wrong.
    ~ ~ ~
    Van Eyes - slightly trimmed, Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA head lamps, Red (port) & green (starboard) 5 LED 'headlight horn' lights, PIAA silicone windshield wipers, K&N Filtercharger (in stock air box), MacNeil WeatherFlectors, Assorted cargo nets from previous vehicles, Optima red-top battery, Transmission Interceptor, 20 LED 'light tower' turn signals & brake lights, 18W PIAA W2 running lights, Trooper skid plates, Black Luverne step bars w/Tone's custom brackets

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard
    To Bart, and other's. Why listen to radio?.... easiest way to tune in XM (or Sirrus). Imagine, a genres of music that you really really enjoy,... played non-stop.

Best money I've wasted in a long long time. Actually listening to it right now on the computer as we,...type.

just my 2 cents
    Not for music, for sports. I use Sirius for music (and football broadcasts), so only options for baseball are to get XM as well (they have the exclusive rights to MLB), or AM radio. Since I'm good with Sirius, no need to get to get yet another satellite subscription - I can't possibly listen to all of the Sirius stations as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike
    AM 'should' use a ferrite dipole loop antenna inside the radio itself. I dont think the roof antenna affects AM at all... But I could be wrong.
    Not sure of the specifics, but with the 12v antenna wire connected I now get AM clear as a whistle.

I have the same problem with AM. Did you connect it to anywhere in particular or just splice it to the radio input power?

Not sure of the specifics, but with the 12v antenna wire connected I now get AM clear as a whistle.

My AM whistles when i am near high tension lines :P

I've thought about that, but I already have 260 GIGs of MP3s that are my genre to keep my ears quite happy...no need for radio of any kind, not even for sports, cause I am one of those rare, straight, American males who could care less about sports of any kind....

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard

just my 2 cents

I only use AM to listen to Coast To Coast AM w/ Art Bell or George Noory...

I only like sports at the venue... hate them on the radio, and not so great on TV either

Quote Originally Posted by MustangO3
    I have the same problem with AM. Did you connect it to anywhere in particular or just splice it to the radio input power?
    I connected it to the antenna power wire on the Alpine head unit. You probably don't want to use the main or acc power since it would be on more then it needs to be. The antenna power line only reads 12v when the radio is on.

huh! guess that shows how much i listen to the radio in my VX.. long live the mp3 DVD!

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"