Thread: Experience with Heads Up Displays

Experience with Heads Up Displays

Hey All,

My 1999 VX is a US import to Canada. I was trying to figure out an elegant solution to converting the speedometer to metric, as this is what the civilised world uses as a system of measurement

I know I can take apart the dash and insert a new "face" but finding one that matches is difficult - if anyone has a JDM speedometer face they'd like to sell, let me know.

I was thinking about a Scanguage and then I stumbled upon the idea of a heads up display and now I'm intrigued.

From what I can tell, it hooks up to the OBD II and gives you all kinds of info, including speed in kilometres/hr (assuming the OBD II outputs in Kms?).

http://www.amazon.ca/Sourcingbay-Veh...ywords=car+hud

Does anyone have any experience with HUDS? Do they look as nice in use as they do in the pictures? Are they distracting?

Standing by for wisdom and "sh*t chucking" about the metric system!

Cheers,
    Tony

We have a heads up display in our Lexus 450h. It is a factory option. It was on the car we bought. I thought this was something we had to pay for that we would never use. Boy, was I wrong, we use it constantly. I was looking at some of the aftermarket ones but the reviews were not that great. Let us know if you find a good one.
    Mike

OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY!

This might be the thing I've been waiting for all my life but didn't know I was waiting for it!

https://www.navdy.com/

If it is as good as it looks, I think this solves my problem....looks too good to be true though.

I'm still reading but it hooks up to and is powered by the OBD II. It hasn't shipped yet.

01 Proton 1131; 01 Proton 0504; 00 Proton 0695; 00 Ebony 0285; 00 Foxfire 0032 Donor VX; Complete S/C Engine on Stand;
    I came across that recently. If it works as good as in the video I'm in.

Have you found how much and when they will ship?

Let us know.

The website says $299 for pre-order and will ship in 2015 - no date. Non pre-order is $500. Yikes!

I saw that Navdy a few months back as well. Sounds really cool, I just don't like how it doesn't have that OEM feel to it.

I will be modifying my dash to fit this double din unit when/if it ever comes out.

If you ever do a double din conversion, do share!
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

you could always try something like this…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLlydrvHvwQ
    1993 Trooper (gone but not forgotten - sniff), 1999 Vx, 2003 Yukon Denali - luv em' all.

Quote Originally Posted by Knigh7s View Post
    I saw that Navdy a few months back as well. Sounds really cool, I just don't like how it doesn't have that OEM feel to it.

I will be modifying my dash to fit this double din unit when/if it ever comes out.

If you ever do a double din conversion, do share!
    I am looking at doing a double din (or a single din with monitor that slides out) for a rear-view camera.

I would probably do that AND a Navdy. The HUD appeals to the fighter pilot in me!

my $60 gps tells me where im going AND kph

I've got a speedo app on my phone (Android) that will turn itself into a HUD. You just set it on your dash. Obviously it only works real good at night. It just sucks when you go around a corner too fast and the phone slides across your dash and out the window.
    Current caretaker of The elusive 2001 "Pearl White" VX - The last one.
    1988 BMW 325ic

I super-glued a neodymium magnet to my GPS mount. There are lots of places on the dash where the steel frame is close enough to the plastic for the magnet to "stick." None directly over the instrument cluster though. It stays in place even during the hardest cornering, but comes loose with just the slightest tug.

Conveniently there is steel right below the glovebox so whenever I park it takes no time at all to pull the GPS loose and stick it upside down below the glovebox hidden away from prying eyes.