Thread: offset question

offset question

i am gonna pull the trigger on some new wheels but am a little confused as to what offset to get 0 mm or +12 mm offset can anyone that has these two offset wheels weigh in on the fitment
    mine will be 18x9
    thanks for all the help and pics would really help

Found this after a quick google search:

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types (measured in millimeters).*

Zero Offset

The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive

The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative

The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly. We have test fitted thousands of different vehicles for proper fitment. Our extensive database allows our sales staff to offer you the perfect fit for your vehicle.

I had some wheels fitted to my VX a few months ago which had a positive offset and brought the tires outside the rim of the fenders. I thought that was a pretty cool looking, but it made the tire hit the front of the fender when turning the wheel 3/4 of the way.
    Last edited by HeckaTrebeka : 01/14/2015 at 02:58 PM

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    This may help....

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...highlight=Rims

Many have given offset along with rim sizes and tire info.

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Right

I know the basics off it but what I wanted to know was can I get a 0mm offset or +12mm offset wheel without modification so was hoping members that have 0 or +12offset could chime in on there wheel experience.
    Last edited by vxfocus : 01/14/2015 at 04:43 PM Reason: Spelling

Stock is +38. When I installed my -2 rims, there was a good amount of fender chopping to do, and you have to beat the bolt on the rear side of front well back a few mms. It's totally doable, but I had my offroad guy do it.

With 0 offset, you're going to have nearly the same amount of chopping that I did with my -2.
    While I don't have pics of a +12...I share the pics of +38 and -2 so you can approximate in between for the +12.

Here's a super useful website that let's you easily VISUALIZE offsets and how it affects the fit.
    http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

As the offset number goes down (from +38 to 0), the wheel face moves OUTWARD. So when I had OEM +38, the tires and wheels were tucked within my wheel wells and didn't go beyond the fender. With the -2 rims, you can see pics below, the entire wheel moves outward, and caused a little of the rubber and rim to stick out beyond the fender.

Here's a diagram and chart to help as well:

This thread shows close ups of my -2 rims with 265/60-18 tires, and a few torsion bar cranks to lift front a little bit.

This is the OEM +38 rims, with 285/60-18 tires. It required a little trimming, just that little triangular pice. You'll need more trimming than this if you go with a +12 rim:

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    This too....

WHEEL SPEC WIKI THREAD..

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13540

jo

ordered

ordered the +12 mm offset
    thanx kat
    dont want to trim or hammer anything

Tons of info here on the forums. I remember taking forever to decide, myself. I'm on +25s. The link Jo posted was most helpful. But I recall it being as much about tire size as rim size. I'm on big-ish tires, but didn't have a ton of hacking to do to make it all work.

-V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-