Thread: Radiator woes

Radiator woes

I'm starting this thread here because I figure it's the best place to continue sharing pics and results of trying to fix my leaky radiator.

To start from the beginning, I noticed that there was a very small coolant puddle on the top plastic part of my radiator. I would wipe it off but it would still be there instantly. So I figured that there was a tiny hole or crack at the top of the radiator. I figure it could be patched up, so I buy some JB Weld putty(bad idea - get the epoxy stuff). Well after two minutes of the VX running, coolant already started eating away the putty and it leaked even worse.

I bought another radiator to replace this one, but another member here suggested that 3m 5200 adhesive worked perfectly for him, so I bought that.

This was my first time putting the 3m on, but I read that the area needs to be really clean before putting it on. So I used a rough file, scratched up the plastic surface really well, cleaned it all off, and applied the 3m.

Well, I was thinking about putting another coat of 3m on there, but I was too eager to try out the fix. So I got the VX running for about 5 minutes and checked to find no leaks. I decided to drive it to work, and then checked it one more time to find this:

Coolant had sprayed all over the engine bay and it was coming out of a really small hole in the front of the adhesive. I drove it home, removed the old 3m, cleaned the area up, and applied a bigger amount of 3m adhesive.

This time, I'm going to wait 24 hours and then will apply another coat of adhesive, then one more coat after that one dries.

If you can't wait longer than 24 hrs see if you can drive with the radiator cap loose. That will relieve the pressure and then wait for a week before turning the radiator cap all the way down. Stop and check to make sure you are not blowing out coolant. If you are running hot normally this may not work. Remember this is a "I don't have the money or want to spend the money type of fix".
    When I bought my VX the previous owner had just replaced the radiator and said they cross referenced it a GM radiator and it was not that expensive. I won't be home for another six weeks so I can't check the numbers but maybe someone else on here might know what GM vehicle it fits
    Mike

I did get another radiator, but I still would like to try your fix. I added another layer of 3m on top of the first one I added this morning. I'll wait a whole week, if I have to. Got a commuter to drive to work anyway.

If the 3m still doesn't work after a few weeks, I'm going to replace the radiator.

Quote Originally Posted by HeckaTrebeka View Post
    I'm starting this thread here because I figure it's the best place to continue sharing pics and results of trying to fix my leaky radiator. To start from the beginning, I noticed that there was a very small coolant puddle on the top plastic part of my radiator. I would wipe it off but it would still be there instantly. So I figured that there was a tiny hole or crack at the top of the radiator. I figure it could be patched up, so I buy some JB Weld putty(bad idea - get the epoxy stuff). Well after two minutes of the VX running, coolant already started eating away the putty and it leaked even worse. I bought another radiator to replace this one, but another member here suggested that 3m 5200 adhesive worked perfectly for him, so I bought that. This was my first time putting the 3m on, but I read that the area needs to be really clean before putting it on. So I used a rough file, scratched up the plastic surface really well, cleaned it all off, and applied the 3m. Well, I was thinking about putting another coat of 3m on there, but I was too eager to try out the fix. So I got the VX running for about 5 minutes and checked to find no leaks. I decided to drive it to work, and then checked it one more time to find this: Coolant had sprayed all over the engine bay and it was coming out of a really small hole in the front of the adhesive. I drove it home, removed the old 3m, cleaned the area up, and applied a bigger amount of 3m adhesive. This time, I'm going to wait 24 hours and then will apply another coat of adhesive, then one more coat after that one dries.
    Cách ch?a cao huy?t áp t??*n g?c hi?u qu?,nhanh chóng