Thread: ARB Front Locker

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753

ARB Front Locker

So, I thought I should post one of my recent mods for your viewing pleasure. Since one of our fellow members decided to go with a SAS mod, his front end with ARB locker became available. I made a deal with Rado and he even helped me install it. Thanks Jon!
    I didn't take any shots during the front end swap but it was just a matter of pulling the half-shafts, front prop shaft, and then dropping the entire diff/axle assembly. This was the right time to change over to Trooper half-shafts and drive axles. This provides me a much larger bone yard parts source for when I blow-up my CV joints. To make this job easier and faster since I was doing this with Jon's help at his house I had pulled my half-shafts prior and sourced the Trooper drive axles at the local pick-n-pull. All of this when in without a hitch and if I remember correctly we did the swap in under 2 1/2 hours.

Old VX front end assembly

I then had to come up with an air source. A compressor is the usual route but I had a different plan. I had a CO2 tank and regulator from a kegerator that I wasn't using so I decided to go entirely pneumatic. I bought a pneumatic switch, extra ARB tubing, 5mm push in fittings, and a fire extinguisher holder. I ran the tubing along side the rear brake line using the spare clips along the frame. I routed the line just behind the transfer case and over to right under the e-brake. I drilled two holes through the floor under the console one for the feed to the locker and the other for the pneumatic switch exhaust and used pass through push to connect fittings to finish it out.

ARB air line

Push to connect fittings through console floor.

The pneumatic switch I used didn't easily fit in the switch blank next to the side mirror adjust so I cut out some of the plastic and made a small patch with a piece of aluminum. I sealed this piece in and mounted the switch to it along with a safety cover (blue of course). Next I drilled a hole through the back of the ashtray holder and mounted a pneumatic quick connect to the outside and a push to connect on the inside of the console. Then it was a matter of simply running the tubing inside the console to the appropriate fittings.

Clippard pneumatic switch

Safety switch down

Safety switch up

For the tank I wanted it mounted where I could reach the valve from the driver's seat so I opted for just behind the passenger seat. I used the available bolt hole from my removed rear seat to secure the tank in place.

Connected

Disconnected

Tested it all out and it works beautifully with the switch very accessible while driving. The CO2 tank can also be used to top off tires. An empty tank is easily swapped for a full one for about $15. If just using it for the locker it will last forever but tires are a different story. Excited for Moab!
    There's no 'I' in denial.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    NICE.....

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Be careful with the in cab mounted bottle! When the emergency valve blows your windows will frost over and the oxygen in the cab will disappear! Ask me how I know
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Be careful with the in cab mounted bottle! When the emergency valve blows your windows will frost over and the oxygen in the cab will disappear! Ask me how I know
    Doh! How did your ears hold up?

Ears were fine. It's not loud...just a big "hissss". Trying to hold your breath, get the windows down and not crash is the fun part
    (And that was only a 5 lbs bottle)

BartmanS4,
    Be careful with a full CO2 tank. When the tank is at less than 45 degrees angle there is a good chance of passing liquid CO2 into the regulator. Better to have it at least 45 degree or greater angle...
    Eddie