Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Transfer Case Compatibility

Transfer Case Compatibility

So my transfer case is on the outs in my '99 Ironman and I've already dropped the diff, swapped cv's, checked prop shaft, etc. It IS my transfer case that is going.

Now that that is clear, is the Trooper transfer case with TOD compatible with the VX? I mean, can I drop my current transfer case, stick a TOD Trooper transfer case in, hook up driveshaft and drive off?
    I've searched and found that it SHOULD be possible but a few Isuzu veterans have told me that it might not work due to the fact that the Vehicross is full-time 4wd whereas the Trooper has the switch to activate TOD under 50mph.
    If that is the case, would I not be able to take the switch from the donor Trooper and install in the Vehicross to have a selectable beast?

Hopefully I'll be pulling a transfer case from a yard come Sunday and if it does work I'll be rebuilding my original transfer case anyways. This would be more of a 'to get me by' fix.

Shouldbe identical, the difference with the selector switch is purely electronic, turning the TOD puter on or off. I would take the computer and switches if you are already there, would be much cooler with the swap.

PS-doesnt have to be a trooper, the acura SLX would also be a compatible unit, that is where I got my last prop shaft.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

When you say outer, which one are you referring to? Got a picture of it?
    And Marlin, if this works, be expecting an Ironman to drop in and share a drink or two with you since you're the only one that could give me a straight answer sir!

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    puter as in computer not outer.
    There's no 'I' in denial.

No problem. If you want to drive up to washington, we can talk shop all day.

Got the transfer case today.
    It's off of a 1998 Isuzu Trooper with TOD. Hoping to get it fitted soon. My only worry is that this one read 4422 000 004
    whereas the Vehicross reads 4422 000 002
    (there may be more zeros but the only digit that is off is the last one)

I grabbed the button too but couldn't figure out the wiring and need help with which computer it is that I need to grab. I have no clue as I normally deal with completely mechanically driven 4wd set-ups. Any guidance on that?

(I'll post pictures once I can get some off my memory card later tonight)

Tod computer is located under the passenger seat.

Wiring for switch should be ran from switch to that 'puter eh?

Vehicross does not like the Troopers computer. Just tried it out, simply unplugged VX computer and plugging in Trooper and TOD lit up like a Christmas tree with the angel on the top being the CHECK light.

Guess that's a no go. I do have my button from the Trooper so I'll look into the write-up that someone did to have a homemade TOD-off switch and try to integrate that into my Trooper switch for a clean install. Anyone have that wiring diagram? lol

Make sure that puter is grounded to the chassis, that's where I'd start.

That sir, would be the reason it would have lit up. I didn't mount the 98 box, just unplugged it from my 99 and tried it. Guess those two screws ground it out?

When you mount it, it grounds it to the chassis.

Beat me to it, it needs to be grounded.

i talked to both borg warner and isuzu about the vx transfer case - other isuzu cases will work but the gearing is slightly different - the vx transfer case is completely unique to only the vx no other vehicle ever - confirmed this by both companies when doing my rebuild - so will another case work? probably - will it be exactly the same? no - and you'll prob always have a check engine light (which can be solved by taking the bulb out)

that being said i dont see any real benefit to having the actual vx transfer case compared to one off a rodeo - especially if you can maintain tod regardless of what the stupid dash lights say - would be much easier to find parts for the trooper or rodeo tcase in the future (like the seals i had to wait 2 months for because they had to come on that slow boat from japan - both companies confirmed they were completely unique seals to the vx tcase - actually, the borg warner guy found one of the 3 i needed in a current case they make for hd ford pickups but i still needed the other 2)
    Last edited by evillecutter : 12/10/2014 at 08:42 AM

When/if mine goes I will replace it with a manuel tcase. TOD is just not something I require.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)