Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Transfer Case Compatibility

im not sure what exactly happened to mine - im guessing previous owner tried to use 4wd low on dry pavement or something stupid like that - the guys at the driveline shop said they rarely have problems with borg warner products especially in passenger vehicles

the only time i actually ever used tod was in the snow but it worked perfect - much better than any 4wd truck i have owned - always wanted to compare the vx to an awd subaru or something of about the same year to see which is better
    Last edited by evillecutter : 12/15/2014 at 01:33 PM

I'm wanting to keep the TOD as I live in Lubbock where they don't believe in a drainage system so the water that accumulates from the 76 degree day, freezes the next day when its 17 degrees.
    I've got the case and I'm cleaning it up but I'll be out of town this coming week but next weekend I plan on putting it in. I just have to find a wiring diagram for my Trooper TOD button, so that should something go wrong, I can disengage TOD and be solely 2WD. (Though I've seen people caution against this, but I'm not sure what harm can come from it)

I got one from a Trooper, and while I love wheeling, I haven't been doing as much lately so gearing isn't a huge issue for me currently. I'm actually hoping to source out parts for a 5-speed swap soon. (In the midst of possibly moving)

Also, can someone PM how to change that info about my screen name? I've put 20k miles on my Ironman since I got it and I would like to claim it on here hah

Two wheel drive is just fine. I have manual hubs which I leave unlocked all the time unless I am off road and the VX functions just fine.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I second Billy,just get manual hubs, as for never using TOD except in the snow, TOD is all the time in our trucks, unless you disconnect it. 4wd on pavement shouldn't matter either. The 4wd(low) is chain driven, and unless you were locked or haulin ***,it shouldn't matter too much.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I've been thinking about putting a Trooper auto transmission transfer case with the teralows in it in the VX. Anyone know if the driveshafts will line up with the Trooper case?

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dunford View Post
    I've been thinking about putting a Trooper auto transmission transfer case with the teralows in it in the VX. Anyone know if the driveshafts will line up with the Trooper case?
    Yep. You'll have to change the front prop shaft to the u-joint Trooper one and swap the flange on the front diff to match it. For the rear depending on the year of Trooper TC the flange on the TC itself needs to be swapped to mate to our drive shaft. The TC is I think a little shorter but so the drive shaft extends far enough with plenty of spline still inserted. I've got my new gear set ready to go in, just need to find the time to do it.
    There's no 'I' in denial.

Commencing the drop now.
    Just figuring out which lines to disconnect and whether or not I'm going to have to remove the exhaust to get the case down and out. I'll do a write-up on removal and installation of the transfer case as well as if the TOD computer is needed.
    Now then, that's a solid no go on the front driveshaft compatibility correct?

1999 Astral Silver 0291, 2000 Kaiser 0419
    Please take plenty of pics.......might have to do mine very soon

I plan on doing a full write up of a removal, basically I'll take pics as I re-install mine and arrange them in the removal order. Stuck on the compressible front shaft at the moment though.

To get mine to fit I basically used the front prop shaft from the TC donor vehicle along with the flange from the front diff. I say basically because my TC came from a '95 trooper and the rest of my parts came from an '01. The reason I didn't use the '01 TC is they have an electric motor on the TC to lockout 4wd. Then I also needed to swap the flange on the back of the '95 TC with a newer version ('01) of the four bolt pattern. Let me see if I can take some pics. Also, I didn't realize until I pulled off the front diff flange that it is the seal for the diff too so have a pan under it.
    Scott

Still need to get the front prop shaft out in order to get to the remainder of bolts out of the transfer case. That's all that's left and then re-install so the quicker I get that figured out the quicker I can make my "Transfer Case Replacement for Dummies" thread!

Wiring is a piece of cake and you don't have to do anything with the TOD computer 'cept unplug it if you don't want the TOD dash lights. There are two connectors on the manual TC. One is speed sensor and the other is 2wd - 4wd indicator switch which is not used unless you do something custom.
    As far as the exhaust goes I already had mine removed because I'd pulled the trans. I think the prop shaft comes off first though and then likely you'll need to pull the passenger side exhaust.

Right, well I just need a tip to get the prop shaft out and then I can get after it.

Well, thanks to that slip yoke not compressing I have to put off moving into the new place a day.
    I have two bolts on the passenger side that I just don't have enough leverage to get off with a boxed end wrench. I'm soaking everything in PBlaster and hoping that it comes off easier tomorrow morning when it's forecasted to be 19 in the morning with a blistering high of 30

12:22AM
    Got the last two bolts out, dropped the case and got it into the garage... The danged prop shaft is still connected at the transfer case. It can have it.
    I swapped over my speedogear for continuity sake, and I'm waiting on daylight to get at installation.
    Last edited by Audacity : 01/08/2015 at 10:22 PM Reason: Got the bolts free!

I can say that without a doubt the TOD case from a Trooper is a direct swap to the Vehicross.

EXCEPT:
    The front driveshaft will be needed from the Trooper as well, due to the CV style joints in the VX driveshaft.

The only difference I noticed is the Trooper TOD shifter is angled back a tad whereas the VehiCROSS is straight up and down.

I'll be compiling my photos to correspond with the factory service manual directions over the next few days but be patient as I'm also moving into a new place