Thread: won't start

1999 Astral Silver 0291, 2000 Kaiser 0419

won't start

So we had the VX for a couple of days, started just fine. Then this morning all we get is a "click". We jump it and it starts right up, figure bad battery so I get a new one. Starts right up, turn it off and try again...."click"... no go unless I jump it. But then it will work again, then it won't unless we jump it.

Any Ideas?

Check battery leads for tightness and corrosion. If all okay, then it is probably the solenoid contacts on the starter motor on the way out.
    It will gradually get worse, and might end up with the starter motor staying engaged after the engine starts. That can cause a fire.

Just ask me how I know!!!!!!!!!

If you know what you are doing, you can pull the starter motor off and replace the contacts for less than $20, or a new starter for about $120 plus installation.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

Thx, definitely not terminals. Been trying to jump it for 20 min, then all of a sudden it starts. Turned it off and on a few times with no problem. Now nothing but a single click.

Sometimes the corrosion will seep down into the cables and cause these symptoms.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Thanks PK,
    Definitely the starter.

I used to have this problem, then bought a new starter, didn't have the problem for a little while, then it came back. Figured out that it was a bad connection issue at the starter. Then the same thing showed up later and it was the magnetic sensor in the shift lever area not sensing that it was in park, I figured that one out by shifting it to neutral and it would fire right up. Next time it happens try starting it in Nuetral with your foot on the brake, and see if that changes anything. If not, starter or starter connections.

Took VX to old Isuzu dealer near me this morning (now Hyundai), getting a few things checked out. Only second one they have seen. Starter stuck for a couple of minutes this morning luckily stopped whining, thought of you PK. Had them do a "safety" check, cv boots are torn. Service guy says not worth replacing, too much $$$. Looks like I'm getting my hands dirty!!
    On another note, when driving today and accelerating it sounded like something vibrating under the rear seat. It would slowly spool up then go away when I stopped accelerating (or if you turned on the heater motor), any Ideas?
    FYI...Not lifted....yet

Took VX to old Isuzu dealer near me this morning (now Hyundai), getting a few things checked out. Only second one they have seen. Starter stuck for a couple of minutes this morning luckily stopped whining, thought of you PK. Had them do a "safety" check, cv boots are torn. Service guy says not worth replacing, too much $$$. Looks like I'm getting my hands dirty!!
    On another note, when driving today and accelerating it sounded like something vibrating under the rear seat. It would slowly spool up then go away when I stopped accelerating (or if you turned on the heater motor), any Ideas?
    FYI...Not lifted....yet

The stealerships won't change just the cv boots...they will only do the whole shafts and yes it is quite pricey. But not changing the boots will eventually kill your cv's. The boots are cheap and not overly difficult to change...time cinsuming (after the first one it goes faster) and messy. Do it sooner than later though. The longer you drive it the more chance of damaging the cv's. Replacement shafts can be found for cheap but most are considerably weaker than the oem shafts so you want to preserve your oem shafts as long as you can.

I plan on replacing boots next week, doing ALOT of research on this site. A bit overwelming for a noob, seems once I figure out how I'm going to do it, I read another thread and get confused again.

Simon,

I'll send you my collection of maintenance stuff on DVD if you'd like. Just PM me your mailing addy.

t4b
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

When my front driver side CV was going out I got harmonic inside the VX and a vibration that felt like it was right under the drivers seat under acceleration. Come to fine out, since the third member is hard mounted to the frame, the vibration from the bad CV was traveling through the frame and I was perceiving it under the driver seat. I don't know why your sound goes away when you turn the heater on though. That's a bit odd.

A vibration under the back seat may come from the u-joints in the drive shaft. You can (or you can have someone) lube the three zerks fitting on the drive shaft and see if that helps. One zerk at the front u-joint, one at the slip joint in the middle of the drive shaft and one at the rear u-joint.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Talking

Sorry for the confusion, it doesn't go away when heater is on. It sounds like someone turning a heater on high when I accelerate. Should never type when I'm tired
    Tom, you already have me covered.....Pete Simon
    Last edited by simonsayz1 : 11/25/2014 at 12:53 PM