Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: California Motorcycle registration issue

California Motorcycle registration issue

All you California residents, I need your help... your experience... your opinions... or your pity!

I recently shipped my 2014 Honda NC700X (purchased in Virginia) to my daughter in California. It currently has probably 2000 miles on it. Because the bike is NOT tagged as California emissions legal and has fewer than 7500 miles, she cannot register it.

I did not realize that it was not 50-state legal, since it does have a catalytic converter. Apparently Honda has some "magic" they do to bikes in production to make them CARB compliant.

Anybody have any experience with out-of-state motorcycle registration? Know of any exemptions? Her husband is active duty Coast Guard, and she recently got out of the Coast Guard, but that was before the bike was purchased, so I don't think any of the "military" exemptions will apply.

She would like to keep this bike, but I suppose we still have the option to sell it (out of state?) and buy her something else. Otherwise, I would ship it back to me and held on to it.

HELP!!!
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

This seems more of a military question, but plenty of people drive and live in California with out of state licenses/plates. It is more a question of the particular state that you are referencing. I know Virginia is pretty strict with their licensing, they even have a law stating you must register your vehicle in VA if you have a home for more than 30 days. However I don't know of the reverse situation, as in will they let you keep the VA registration out of state.

Quote Originally Posted by Hades View Post
    This seems more of a military question, but plenty of people drive and live in California with out of state licenses/plates. It is more a question of the particular state that you are referencing. I know Virginia is pretty strict with their licensing, they even have a law stating you must register your vehicle in VA if you have a home for more than 30 days. However I don't know of the reverse situation, as in will they let you keep the VA registration out of state.
    That's part of the problem. I had already notified the Virginia DMV that the bike had been "sold", and therefore, technically, it is no longer registered in Virginia. Since it cannot be registered in California, it is in limbo... not registered anywhere.

I'm not comfortable with her riding it "illegally", and I'm not sure if my insurance would still cover the bike if anything happened to it. I never cancelled my insurance, just in case.

I just want this bike to "go away". She attempted to sell it when she first got it from me (she has short legs, so she was only tip-toes, even though I had dropped the suspension 2 inches. But, she bought riding boots with higher soles, so she's OK with it now.) She wants to keep the bike, but I don't see that happening without proper registration, insurance, etc.

So, I'm considering other (legal) options. I would love to sell it (for what it's worth, not the paltry amount offered by the local stealership) and buy her another bike, but I would need a buyer who could register it out of state.

There's also the option of shipping it back to me, getting it re-registered in Virginia, and then riding the piss out of it to get 7500 miles on the ODO. Since I'm already in pain after 100 miles, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

So, I'm calling on my VX brethren to offer some possible solutions to my misery.

I live in California and this state sucks with emissions crap.

Two options, sell it as is and take your loss and buy another out here....or..... re-register it back in VA, in your name, send her the tag (but she needs a VA drivers license to go with the tag) and drive it until she was possibly pulled over and ticketed, to tell you the truth, you really have to make a huge mistake here to be pulled over. You have 30 days to change your drivers license and tag over to CA. Sounds like such a hassle. Good luck.

Put it on a motorcycle jack, put in gear, let run, fill tank, repeat until you reach 7500 miles...problem solved
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Triathlete has a great solution.

But, there are ways to get around the system. Has she talked to a local dealer about it? Sometimes it's as simple as adding something to the system to make it legal. Try taking it to a shop that resells bikes. They might be able to re-process it for her. There are also smog referee stations that have the ability to waive the testing. Are you sure the bike is not smog leagal in all 50 states? Usually a manufacturer produces the bike to be legal in the toughest states so they don't have to mess with different set ups.

Where is she located? I've done business with a couple of shops locally that could probably help her.
    Last edited by ahdoman : 11/20/2014 at 10:54 PM Reason: Added comment
    Current caretaker of The elusive 2001 "Pearl White" VX - The last one.
    1988 BMW 325ic

Quote Originally Posted by ahdoman View Post
    Triathlete has a great solution.

But, there are ways to get around the system. Has she talked to a local dealer about it? Sometimes it's as simple as adding something to the system to make it legal. Try taking it to a shop that resells bikes. They might be able to re-process it for her. There are also smog referee stations that have the ability to waive the testing. Are you sure the bike is not smog leagal in all 50 states? Usually a manufacturer produces the bike to be legal in the toughest states so they don't have to mess with different set ups.

Where is she located? I've done business with a couple of shops locally that could probably help her.
    The bike is in Murrieta. I have already verified that it is NOT CARB compliant. Honda added a vapor canister to the 2014 bikes for California. Not really a viable option to add it, and probably wouldn't change its legal status. A few members of the NC700 forum have suggested replacing the instrument cluster with one having over 7500 miles, but I really don't want to "fake" the mileage, or run it on the center stand for 5000 miles...

I wrongly assumed the bike would be worth more if sold in California, but if it can't be registered, then it's not worth anything in California. I could ship it back to Virginia, and sell it here for more, even if I include the shipping cost ($625).

I'm researching another option, but it's a long shot.

Thanks all!

That's not right. Have her contact a CARB referee station and have them tell her the options. It's not like its a vehicle that can't pass safety standards. You've just received bad info or your talking to someone who doesn't know. Believe me, I've had over 40 vehicles, several vintage, and the stories I got from the DMV are ridiculous! I once brought a Porsche 914 (pre-76, pre smog) into California and he didn't believe me when I told him the engine was in the middle of the car. I had to open the rear trunk to prove it to him even after I showed him the engine bay. I also went to register a Suzuki dual sport and the person at the DMV told me that the only way I could register the bike was with a dual registration (I had to pay for a street license and then a dirt one). I showed her the law but she wouldn't believe me. It took me about 3 hours to register that bike and involved 2 supervisors researching the law books! Honda is a smart company, I find it hard to believe that the needed components can't be assembled onto the bike to make it CARB legal.

I'll check in with my local contact today to see what he says. Murrieta is a couple of hours away from me but it's still in Cali.

being in the military for 12 years, i have had a licences from WI, while living in another State like TX, VA, AK. being in the military allows this. you don't necessarily know were your going to be from year to year. the cost guard is part of the armed forces. not sure if she could get the bike put in his name... or just re-register it in VA and send her the tags. and allow her to be an authorized rider on your insurance.

good luck.
    That others may Live
    Warrior Automotive
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Otwobme View Post
    being in the military for 12 years, i have had a licences from WI, while living in another State like TX, VA, AK. being in the military allows this. you don't necessarily know were your going to be from year to year. the cost guard is part of the armed forces. not sure if she could get the bike put in his name... or just re-register it in VA and send her the tags. and allow her to be an authorized rider on your insurance.

good luck.
    I don't think the military angle applies in this case. I believe it only applies if you owned the vehicle prior to moving to California. My daughter still has Virginia plates on her car.

"Registered by you in the state of your last active military service outside California."

It's all so silly. She wanted the bike to REDUCE her carbon footprint, yet she's not allowed to have it. I'll talk to her about our options, but it's not looking good at this point.

Thanks, guys!

Gregg,
    I checked in with my local Honda dealer contact. He said as far as he knows all new Hondas are 50 state emissions legal. There's a sticker on the frame that should verify this for the DMV. She might have to take the bike to the DMV for verification. If the sticker is has been removed then that might be another issue. Here's a link showing the sticker location;
    http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-g...-location.html

Quote Originally Posted by ahdoman View Post
    I checked in with my local Honda dealer contact. He said as far as he knows all new Hondas are 50 state emissions legal.
    I think that issue has already been discussed. The 2014 NC700XAC was manufactured with a vapor canister for CARB compliance, but mine is just an XA, without the canister, and it is NOT compliant, and there is no CARB mention on the sticker. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Otwobme View Post
    being in the military for 12 years, i have had a licences from WI, while living in another State like TX, VA, AK.
    retired AF here. Once when processing in to a new base, a AF lawyer, who was also in the group asked to speak when vehicle registration came up.

He said, its called The 3 State Rule

'If you have a drivers license from one state,

A vehicle registered in a second state,

and you are driving it in the third state, (your new station) over 30 days,

you have violated the 3 State Rule.

sorry for going , but it was an opportune time to pass this tidbit of military life on
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

^^^ I remember being told the same rule.

Sounds like you will have to re-register your tags in Virginia and drive her til she has the appropriate mileage to register in CA. Then register in CA as used vehicle. Now you can sell her in CA. I followed and finally bought a GSXR1000R out of State on Craigslist. Owner moved to CA with his GSXR and had to register it here as a used bike, before he could sell her to me. 6 months later!!!
    Last edited by EVO : 11/26/2014 at 08:00 AM