Thread: won't start after collision

won't start after collision

I recently purchaced a 1999 vx, from an elderly lady. She ran into someone and damaged the passenger front corner. Before I start buying parts, I would like to get it running. (Battery was crushed pretty good in the accident. I hooked a different battery up and can't get it to run. Everything seems to be working otherwise. I don't think it's getting spark. Is it possible someth shorted out when the battery was crushed? Any ideas would be helpful. Haven't spent much time on it yet , but thought someone out there might give me a good place to start. Thank you

I would first check the cables. What exactly happwns when you try to start it? Any lights, clicking, does the engine turn over but not start, does the engine do nothing...?
    The more info you give the better we can diagnose.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

It turns over fine. All the lights and accessories seem to work. Just seems like it's not firing? I didn't have much time to work on it today. Threw a battery in and after trying for a couple of minutes, had a friend spray some starting fluid in the intake while I cranked it over. Nothing.

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    I might be wrong here but I thought after some accidents the fuel system needs to be reset, not sure where this is, floor board drivers side? I feel like I have Alzheimer's........
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy View Post
    I might be wrong here but I thought after some accidents the fuel system needs to be reset, not sure where this is, floor board drivers side? I feel like I have Alzheimer's........
    Not as Alzheimer-ic as you might think. I remember hearing the same thing. But ... I can't think of a sensor on board that would tell the 'puter to shut down the fuel system (but not deploy the airbags).

Obviously, a computer cold boot (disconnecting battery for 30 minutes) won't solve this problem. Time to dive into the shop manual to see if there is any mention of it.
    Last edited by tom4bren : 04/14/2014 at 08:13 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy View Post
    I know this is the case on many Ford vehicles but I have not seen/heard of this on the VX.

The first thing I would look at is the fuse box. There is a good chance if the battery was damaged that there could have been a short that blew multiple fuses. (thinking fuel pump or ECM fuses)

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I will hopefully get if figured out by the weekend. When I do, I will decide whether I am going to fix the damage or sell it. Whether that be parting it out or selling it whole. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    The first thing I would look at is the fuse box. There is a good chance if the battery was damaged that there could have been a short that blew multiple fuses. (thinking fuel pump or ECM fuses)
    I seem to recall that a great many owners had strange behaviors caused by a harness between the headlight and the battery grounding out. If that corner got squished, it might have damaged that same harness.

I'm sorry I can't say more than that, though. I've never had the misfortune to have to go digging for that one... yet.

I checked the security system guide. Supposedly having the battery disconnected should have triggered the alarm which would have disabled the starter. It would not have cut off fuel or spark.

The Shop Manual wasn't very helpful:
    Last edited by tom4bren : 04/15/2014 at 09:01 AM

how long had the truck been sitting ? gas in the tank could of gone bad and killed the fuel pump..
    turn the key in the On position a few times, then off... and then find a place under the hood near
    the motor you can crack open the fuel line. You are checking the pressure of course. and if gas
    comes out, how bad does it smell ?
    Also you can spray some starting fluid into the air intake while cranking it too..
    if it fires for a few seconds, ..then its fuel related. If still nothing, prob spark related...
    check sparks easy... pull off a coil pack and check for spark that way.

Check out our VX accessories @
    www.planetsvx.com
    click on the Vehicross button on the left side
    of the page