Thread: severe leak metal transmission cooling line

severe leak metal transmission cooling line

Please help I have lost count on how many times this forum has answered my question and showed me how to fixed my 1999 with 165,000 miles on it with just a search . Thank You . But all the searches I find on this are about the rubber lines . My leak is in the lower metal line on the passenger side where it is clamped to the truck . Its the original line and the whole thing is badly rusted . When I run the engine it shoots fluid like a water gun from the spot in the picture . I need to know where I can get the line , if it can be done at home without a lift and how ? or if anyone knows of a shop around the Westchester NY area that might be able to do it and around how much. If by chance anyone has an idea for a temporary fix to get me through winter I will take it . Thanks in advance for any help.
    Evil and Out

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    I would take it to a transmission shop for an estimate. I would think they would check it out for free. I do know of a way to temporarily fix metal lines but it would be tough in this situation. That would be to clean it to bare metal and then tightly wind wire around the line starting and ending about a half an inch from the hole. Then you solder the entire winding. Believe it or not you can temporarily repair even hydraulic line this way. But for this trans line you'd probably have to remove the line first to get it clean enough. If you're already removing it then just replace it.
    There's no 'I' in denial.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmanS4 View Post
    I would take it to a transmission shop for an estimate. I would think they would check it out for free. I do know of a way to temporarily fix metal lines but it would be tough in this situation. That would be to clean it to bare metal and then tightly wind wire around the line starting and ending about a half an inch from the hole. Then you solder the entire winding. Believe it or not you can temporarily repair even hydraulic line this way. But for this trans line you'd probably have to remove the line first to get it clean enough. If you're already removing it then just replace it.
    Ya won't work as a fix for this but great tip ..thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigevil View Post
    Please help I have lost count on how many times this forum has answered my question and showed me how to fixed my 1999 with 165,000 miles on it with just a search . Thank You . But all the searches I find on this are about the rubber lines . My leak is in the lower metal line on the passenger side where it is clamped to the truck . Its the original line and the whole thing is badly rusted . When I run the engine it shoots fluid like a water gun from the spot in the picture . I need to know where I can get the line , if it can be done at home without a lift and how ? or if anyone knows of a shop around the Westchester NY area that might be able to do it and around how much. If by chance anyone has an idea for a temporary fix to get me through winter I will take it . Thanks in advance for any help.

I would not play around with that. Don't drive it until it is fixed.

You need a small pipe cutter, flaring tool, and bending tool. Take the old ones out and copy them. don't need to be perfect. Where they connect to the transmission will be a bitch because it is hard to get good rotation on a wrench. Cheap fix but might take a little time.

Tools needed:

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-6519-Th...r+bending+tool

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4503-Sting...s=flaring+tool

http://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-32975-8...xgy_auto_img_y