Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This looks Interesting!

This looks Interesting!

Got an email, followed link.. Instead of Vinyl wrap, it's paintable. Still deciding if I want to stay with silver. They have a lighter silver, but the gray looks good too... Check it out... It's a sister company of ALSA paints I like..
    http://paint-wrap.com/

That looks really cool. I'm in LA so I might have to stop by to see how real it is.
    Current caretaker of The elusive 2001 "Pearl White" VX - The last one.
    1988 BMW 325ic

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Gloss plasti-dip, Cool idea!

...this seems like something I would do.

Thinking I might try the Nevada Silver on my car.

Reading the application guide, it talks about applying a few coats of base coat, then a few coats of Topcoat Color. Do you guys think they're just talking about their "Standard" and "Metallic" products?

And if I went that far, I'd probably top it off with a few coats of their "Clear Protect".

It's not like we'd be out that much to try it anyway if we took advantage of their half off sale this Monday and Tuesday.

Rado, Thought of the ease it would be. Other than the wrap you did...Much easier. Looks simple to repair also, just touch up...

I wonder what came first, plasti-dip or paint wrap...

I knew I should have capitalized on this idea 10 years ago, I'm seeing shops that do it for business everyday making decent money. Plus there is the DIY portion of the business. Another idea stolen by the masses, now when will somebody crazy enough get around to making the tornado capsule that you ride in for fun I thought of in high school...

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by jmayer40 View Post
    Rado, Thought of the ease it would be. Other than the wrap you did...Much easier. Looks simple to repair also, just touch up...
    I didn't research too much into this product but if it applied the same as plasti-dip, it would be much easier to install than a vinyl wrap. The two reason I didn't try plasti-dip before was the VERY matte texture and too prone to scratching off.

I like how they added the gloss/satin to this product... it just needs to be tested for durability.

I'll be interested to see the results on your VX!

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Interesting that the application guide only list spray on with professional equipment in the guide...no instructions for rolling or using a paint brush.

Also says if you leave it on over 6 months you have to respray the vehicle for easy removal...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Just ordered 2 qts Nevada silver, 1 protect coat , 1 black standard. Now the black going to experiment on cladding. Didn't want to buy a gallon. so only 2 quarts to cover vx.. we shall see. Hopefully stays warm out for a bit longer. Wonder if I could use it as undercoating hahaha

I'm not sure you want to use that on cladding. The product adheres to and peels off of a smooth slick surface. If you spray that on the cladding you might never get it off. Especially if it gets ragged looking. I'd recommend trying a test patch first.

Looks something like this site.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php

I have bought Plastidip for tools. and have opened can and it's like silly putty. Although that website does look interesting, I guess i'll have to experiment... trial and error...We shall see.

The videos on the paint-wrap.com site made it look like spray-on application wouldn't be all that difficult provided a person has the right spray guns. The videos just made me wonder how much material could be saved by either rolling or brushing it on as opposed to what is lost in over spray.

I know on the website it says that two gallons would be required to spray a small or midsized car, but when I asked one of the reps how much material it would take to spray a full set of wheels, I was told that even that would take a full gallon. LIke Mile High said though, no indication whether a smooth finished surface can be achieved rolling or brushing on the new metallic wrap material.

There was a pic on the site of a black C5-R (i think) that was done with a roller.