Thread: Tires from Storage

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)

Tires from Storage

So I have a set of Bridgestone Duellers H/T on my stock rims. They are 245/60/18 which is the stock size I believe.

They have been stored in my basement since I bought the VX. They have 80% tread remaining.

Before storage I cleaned them and oiled them down good to prevent any cracking. The basement is cool and dry all the time and they have been mounted and still have good air pressure.

The production date code is the 19th week of 2005.

What is the downside to using these for a time? Most of my driving is highway speed about 45 miles to the airport and back. Other than that is just in town.

Thanks for the help. I've heard stories about using older tires, even when new, and just need some feedback.

You guys and gals are the best...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    I've heard stories about using older tires, even when new, and just need some feedback.
    I've heard the same stories and seen some of the news reports. Definitely scary stuff.

Its a risk.

IMHO

If they show no signs of bulging or dry rot, they'll be OK for limited use. The age would scare me enough though that I wouldn't plan on using up the remaining tread ... mebbe just for a couple of months till your new skins are ready for mounting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

old tires

After ten years the tire is at a higher risk of delaminating. no tire shop legally and tuch a tire at that age. if they cant i would not risk it. remember its only one of two things stopping you. the other is your breaks.

I believe the consensus is 6 years. Anything older than 6 years worn or not should be replaced.

That's 6 years from the manufacturing date, not the mounting date.

T.
    '01 Keiser VX/'85 Defender 110/'97 Disco XD

if you use them

I would suggest pumping them up to 70 psi and let sit a little while before using to check quality
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Maybe put a can of Fix-A-Flat in each then have the outside Line-X'd? Could be the last set of tires you'll own.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Maybe put a can of Fix-A-Flat in each then have the outside Line-X'd? Could be the last set of tires you'll own.
    Piano wire works well too...

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-120508a.html

T.

I have a set of Blizzak snow tires purchased in November 2004, mounted on OEM rims, that I rarely use. They have been stored in my garage, or my den since new, and show no signs of cracking. I only added a couple pounds of air to them in January before taking a trip to Pennsylvania. I had absolutely no problems, and plan to use them whenever necessary. Am I taking chances? Well, yes, but I felt a LOT safer on these tires in the snow packed highways than I would have felt on my Khumos under the same conditions. I trust these tires!

FWIW - The Michelin TRX tires on my '82 Mustang (no longer in production), and reproduction Goodyear Polyglas tires on my Cobra were purchased in 2003. I have no plans on replacing them any time soon. Reproduction TRX tires are $500 EACH!!
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

IMO the laws that require shops to not mess withe older tires ect are more due to lobbyist trying to get more sales for tire companies than for safety. Safety while a factor is more of an excuse.

But im not a lawyer or a expert, so don't listen to me. Im just a jaded, synic, ahole

I have a motor home with seven year Michelin tires and I am going to replace them next week. Michelin explains that the high pressure in the tires permeates the rubber and causes the steel cords to rust. This builds up friction between the steel cords and the rubber, which causes heat and eventually a blowout. In their sales brochure they say their tires can be recapped up to ten years. I think they say whatever they can to sell tires. If I have a front tire blowout on a 30,000lbs motor home towing a trailer and a VX, it could cost me a lot more than set of 6 tires at $700 apiece. Still if it were me, I would get a tire pressure and temperature monitoring system ($200-300) and use your tires.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)

Thanks to all

For the thoughts, suggestions, and opinions.

I've decided this is not an option for me. The biggest reason is that the reviews for this tire are poor for my needs in the upcoming CO winter.

I'm going to just bite the bullet and go with the Wrangler Duratracs.

Thanks again for all of the help.

I love this forum!