Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Window Fix

Window Fix

I tried to a few of the fixes on the forum for the window problem and did not have much luck with them. I came up with this and is working good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyZQ...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq6REqde3zY

Video's of both sides. The passenger side was working but I could tell it was on the way out so I took care of it also.

Tried a few different ideas with bearing arrangements that did not work so great (pics below). the single bearing mounted to the plate worked best.

I think a better way to go would be two or four bearing mounted directly to the plate and forgo the white clips all together. For now this seems to work good. About 1 hour time on each side and less than $15 per side. The bearing holds the plate to the slide bar and keeps it aligned.

Last edited by VXRick : 08/12/2014 at 12:30 PM Reason: spelling

Very interesting. Right now I'm using the "added washer" method and it works, however the windows go up very slowly and it's probably putting undue stress on the lift motor.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Nice fix!

Come join us on the 23rd down in Denver for the coffee meet.

Meeting note has been posted.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by VXRick View Post
    I came up with this and is working good.
    KUDOS. That's perzakly the fix I had in mind but never quit procrastinating long enough to try it out.

The Proton's passenger window is tilting now so I rekin it's time to do the fix.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

How important is re-installing the vapor barrier for the doors? I need to replace the door speakers, so I will be removing panels again. I don't see the need for it, but maybe I am thinking wrong?

I deemed it important enough that when mine became so brittle that I couldn't use it any more, I made a new one out of a heavy duty trash bag & duct taped it into place.

A significant amount of water does get in around the windows and flows down inside the door & out through a drain in the bottom of the door. It's best to keep any trapped moisture away from the door panels until it evaporates or drains out.

In the old TLC I used to have, the drain would tend to clog. The water would accumulate in the door until it got high enough to seep through the door panel and saturate the carpet. It always surprised me how much water flowed through the door.

This is a great fix. I wish You would have posted it when I had my doors apart a couple of weeks ago. The only thing I would change is to possibly use the two bearing setup on the front side of the mechanism since when the window goes up it wants to tip forward.
    Current caretaker of The elusive 2001 "Pearl White" VX - The last one.
    1988 BMW 325ic

For the vapor barrier - go to BigLots or some other dollar-type store and buy a clear shower curtain. Lay it over the old lines and cut the pattern first, then buy some black interior trim adhesive and apply it over the old lines. Make sure you get all of the original off first and you have to make a couple of holes for linkages and stuff. Looks like original.

-- John

sounds like a much better fix than my 'trash bag' approach.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo View Post
    For the vapor barrier - go to BigLots or some other dollar-type store and buy a clear shower curtain.

-- John
    Or if you're the decorator type just find a nice animal print or your favorite cartoon character...

cold weather

Since it has gotten cold recently here in Colorado I have noticed my windows go up very slow. Way to much stress on the motor. The glass does stay aligned with the bearing but more needs to be done. To much friction in cold weather. Going to meetup with Jake hopefully next week and work on both our windows, maybe add some bungee cords....

Rick - make sure that the rubber is completely seated in the front track. It's actually very easy for it to not sit in there correctly. There's a square base that sits in the track and then each side of the seal has a very small "J" lip that sits over the metal edge of the track. If both of those "J" lips are not properly seated then the gap in the track becomes to narrow and it will pinch the window as you raise it. That piece of rubber also has a pinch seal as well as a flap. I trimmed down the flap just a bit and it helped greatly.

Also make sure that where the forward rubber piece comes out of the door and meets the widow rubber is correct. That's another place where if it's not lined up correctly it will pinch the glass and bind.

It took me a good hour of deciphering these things. Once I found what was up and I corrected the problem my windows go up and down great without and problems.

BTW - can you please send some of your extra cold to Cali? It's 104 here today!

Quote Originally Posted by ahdoman View Post
    Rick - make sure that the rubber is completely seated in the front track. It's actually very easy for it to not sit in there correctly. There's a square base that sits in the track and then each side of the seal has a very small "J" lip that sits over the metal edge of the track. If both of those "J" lips are not properly seated then the gap in the track becomes to narrow and it will pinch the window as you raise it. That piece of rubber also has a pinch seal as well as a flap. I trimmed down the flap just a bit and it helped greatly.

Also make sure that where the forward rubber piece comes out of the door and meets the widow rubber is correct. That's another place where if it's not lined up correctly it will pinch the glass and bind.

It took me a good hour of deciphering these things. Once I found what was up and I corrected the problem my windows go up and down great without and problems.

BTW - can you please send some of your extra cold to Cali? It's 104 here today!

Installed the bearing on Jakes VX with a bit of "rubber trimming". Works ok for now, see what happens when the cold weather sets in.

Just a thought as someone who had the passenger window on my JDM shatter when after I had silicone sprayed the runners. Will these braces place too much of a point load on the part of the window where its fixed? because that was the only thing I could think of that would have made my window go bang and shatter into a thousand pieces. I also noticed that the small bolt that holds the window fixing in was packed out with washers (by the factory perhaps to align it?)

Quote Originally Posted by David Wiltshire View Post
    Just a thought as someone who had the passenger window on my JDM shatter when after I had silicone sprayed the runners. Will these braces place too much of a point load on the part of the window where its fixed? because that was the only thing I could think of that would have made my window go bang and shatter into a thousand pieces. I also noticed that the small bolt that holds the window fixing in was packed out with washers (by the factory perhaps to align it?)
    What is a JDM? What braces are you referring to? Where are you seeing a bolt packed out with washers? Just installing a bearing in the post above.