Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It's ALIVE! After 10 Years In The Garage. Time To Get Back To Work?!

It's ALIVE! After 10 Years In The Garage. Time To Get Back To Work?!

Hey everyone. Dave here. Original 2001 Ebony owner. Had my VX since I was in high school and its spent the majority of the last 13 years parked. How parked? 32k original miles in 13 years. NOT BAD.

I've been a member here since 2003 when I was 19 years old and didn't have the time, means or money to do the things I wanted to do with my VX. Well, I'm almost 30 now, have relocated from NYC to San Diego and as of last month finally had my VX shipped out here to meet me. (It had been sitting at my mother's house for the better part of 10 years) However, before shipping it over I had it fully repainted like I always wanted. Cladding and all!

But that's just the start. I'm finally getting around the registering it here in CA (which is much different from NY) and I could use some help as well as some advice. Now that I've got the time and the means, I'd like to do all the things to my VX I always wanted to.

First of all: It needs to pass smog. With the Morgan-Tec intake that's not gonna happen unless the Morgan-Tec intakes are CARB certified. I'd love to ask Mike about it but it seems he hasn't been active here since 2006 or so and Morgan-Tec is no longer a thing. Advice? Any recommendations for a CARB certified cold air intake? Going back to stock is NOT preferable.

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/497180418655797248

Next up is the wishlist of sorts:

Looking for a hood scoop! I remember back in the day you guys had a company that was making WRX style hood scoops and everyone placed an order and that was that. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get in on that at the time - SO - recommendations? I MUST HAVE THAT SCOOP!

Supercharger! AFAIK the Alpine SCs are beastly, reliable and CARB certified. Can you still get them? Does Tone still have kits?! Any other recommendations if you can't? I GOTTA GO FAST!

Big brakes! Do they exist?! I have drilled/slotted rotors, custom calipers and stainless steel brake lines on my VX but the braking is still ****E. Any leads on a legit big brake kit for a VX? Having 20" wheels with tiny rotors isn't a great look

Meanwhile, I might end up jacking it up and turning it into a desert VX (it's lowered about 2 inches at the moment) but for now I think I'll keep the look just about as is. Also, anyone ever come up with a really great grill insert? Could use one of those.

Oh yeah, it's also [B]overheating[/B Considering how great it's been running but how long it's been sitting I assume maybe I need to clean out the radiator or redo all the coolant. Not too worried about it. She's running great so far!

SO: A few modifications, some tweaks and some road time and I think I'll finally be happy with this thing after nearly 13 years!

YOUR ADVICE, TIPS AND HELP ARE ALL WELCOME! It's good to be back on VX.info. I donated some money to the site as well

Feel free to bother me here via PM
    Email: Doshry@gmail.com
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/DaveOshry
    Last edited by CrzyFool : 08/09/2014 at 03:38 AM
    - To Err Is Human, To GET SOME is Divine -

Alpine SCs are no longer being made, very hard to find and therefore very pricey when on the rare occasion they go up for sale. Tone is no longer with us. He sadly passed a few years back.
    As for your intake...I am pretty sure the MT intake is not certified. He was a small home business and carb certification is quite expensive. If I were you I would put your stock intake on, get inspected and the put the MT intake back on.
    As for brakes. Give the sight a search. There is plenty to read on the subject. No "big brake" availability but S'S brake lines, slotted rotors and a few other mods are available.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

That's a beautiful looking VX! If the car has truly been parked for 13 years there's a lot you need to do just to wake it up properly! It would be a shame to have a catastrophic failure now that you have the time and money for it! Before you start driving it too much I'd check the following;
    1) if it's overheating do not continue to drive it! Flush the cooling system. At a minimum pull the radiator have it flushed and replace the thermostat. You might also need to replace the water pump as well. If it's overheating you could do some serious engine damage. Speaking of engine damage...
    2) replace all belts including your timing belt. If it sat for that long the belts are probably flat spotted and not tensioned properly. They can break. A broken serpentine belt is not a big deal but you don't want to break a timing belt!
    3) Have your brakes power bled by a shop. Old brake fluid is nasty stuff and can create problems with ABS.
    4) do a couple of short cycle oil changes. Put some Marvel Mystery Oil in or some other type of cleaner. Be sure to change your filter also.
    5) pour a bottle of Chervron Techron in to a full tank of new gas. Do that for about 3 tanks, every other tank. It will help to clear and lubricate the fuel system.
    6) replace fuel filter and all fuel lines.
    7) check all the rubber bits; hoses, fuel lines, brake lines, bushings. Make sure they all move freely. Pinch them. They should return to normal and feel flexible. Look for cracks as you do this. This is going to be important if you want to pass California smog. You'll need to make sure all of the related smog components are working properly. A vacuum leak can fail you. And as Triathlete stated your need everything under the hood to be California Smog compliant.
    8) Lube all lube points (u joints, etc.).
    9) check your wheel bearings and repack if necessary.
    10) unplug all wire connections and clean. If your car starts throwing any check engine codes this is the first place to start looking. That or leaks.

And lastly; wake her up slowly. No high rpm runs or hammer down driving. Welcome back.
    Current caretaker of The elusive 2001 "Pearl White" VX - The last one.
    1988 BMW 325ic

A supercharger was just posted this morning for sale

Nvm just an old posting that someone commented on

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Hiya CrzyFool

I'm in San Diego too..great to have another active VX'er here

I run a Morgan tech..and my smog guy ignores it ..so maybe he can help you.

ALSO..would love to shoot your VX for the 2015 Calendar.

My e-mail is :-

JoFotoz@san.rr.com

Give me a shout..lets meet up.

Cheers

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When you search the site for big brakes, also search for "4 spot callipers".
    One of our Russian members posted about his modifications using Chinese parts to upgrade the brakes. he quoted part numbers and just about every thing you need to know.
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Alpine SCs are no longer being made, very hard to find and therefore very pricey when on the rare occasion they go up for sale. Tone is no longer with us. He sadly passed a few years back.
    As for your intake...I am pretty sure the MT intake is not certified. He was a small home business and carb certification is quite expensive. If I were you I would put your stock intake on, get inspected and the put the MT intake back on.
    As for brakes. Give the sight a search. There is plenty to read on the subject. No "big brake" availability but S'S brake lines, slotted rotors and a few other mods are available.
    Shame about the Alpines and I think I remember hearing about Tone to come to think of it. Shame about that too. I remember we used to have some good convos when I was younger. He'll be missed.

Don't have my stock intake so I can't put it back on :-p Going to have to find a suitable replacement or go find Jo's guy here in SD!

Quote Originally Posted by ahdoman View Post
    That's a beautiful looking VX! If the car has truly been parked for 13 years there's a lot you need to do just to wake it up properly! It would be a shame to have a catastrophic failure now that you have the time and money for it! Before you start driving it too much I'd check the following;
    1) if it's overheating do not continue to drive it! Flush the cooling system. At a minimum pull the radiator have it flushed and replace the thermostat. You might also need to replace the water pump as well. If it's overheating you could do some serious engine damage. Speaking of engine damage...
    2) replace all belts including your timing belt. If it sat for that long the belts are probably flat spotted and not tensioned properly. They can break. A broken serpentine belt is not a big deal but you don't want to break a timing belt!
    3) Have your brakes power bled by a shop. Old brake fluid is nasty stuff and can create problems with ABS.
    4) do a couple of short cycle oil changes. Put some Marvel Mystery Oil in or some other type of cleaner. Be sure to change your filter also.
    5) pour a bottle of Chervron Techron in to a full tank of new gas. Do that for about 3 tanks, every other tank. It will help to clear and lubricate the fuel system.
    6) replace fuel filter and all fuel lines.
    7) check all the rubber bits; hoses, fuel lines, brake lines, bushings. Make sure they all move freely. Pinch them. They should return to normal and feel flexible. Look for cracks as you do this. This is going to be important if you want to pass California smog. You'll need to make sure all of the related smog components are working properly. A vacuum leak can fail you. And as Triathlete stated your need everything under the hood to be California Smog compliant.
    8) Lube all lube points (u joints, etc.).
    9) check your wheel bearings and repack if necessary.
    10) unplug all wire connections and clean. If your car starts throwing any check engine codes this is the first place to start looking. That or leaks.

And lastly; wake her up slowly. No high rpm runs or hammer down driving. Welcome back.
    Thanks for the info, already been doing some of this!

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    Hiya CrzyFool

I'm in San Diego too..great to have another active VX'er here

I run a Morgan tech..and my smog guy ignores it ..so maybe he can help you.

ALSO..would love to shoot your VX for the 2015 Calendar.

My e-mail is :-

JoFotoz@san.rr.com

Give me a shout..lets meet up.

Cheers

Jo
    Email sent!

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Looks Great!

You decided early to paint your cladding, so how did you come to that decision and are you happy with the results?

I've seen a few here in CO with it painted, but it always has spider cracks in the rounded edges.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

I have an Alpine SC and may be putting it up for sale shortly.

T.
    '01 Keiser VX/'85 Defender 110/'97 Disco XD

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    Looks Great!

You decided early to paint your cladding, so how did you come to that decision and are you happy with the results?

I've seen a few here in CO with it painted, but it always has spider cracks in the rounded edges.
    Oh yeah, I think it looks way better than stock and way classier. Almost like a Limited Trim edition of the VX. So far no cracks but I had it done at a very high end shop and it hasn't been painted for that long! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by VXCanada View Post
    I have an Alpine SC and may be putting it up for sale shortly.

T.
    PM'd! I AM THROWING MONEY AT YOU FROM CALIFORNIA!

CrazyFool, replied!

T.