Thread: Transmission / transfer case blow by

Question Transmission / transfer case blow by

Hey all,
    First let me say thanks for your patience in answering my questions. I promise they will soon subside. I am doing a site search and Google before post.

Anyway - I finally got under Pearl last night and started checking fluids. There was a small drip of trans fluid on the ground when I looked under her. When I jacked the car from one side (passenger) fluid began dripping from the crossmember where it obviously had pooled. I couldn't locate a place where the fluid could be originating from except there is a lot of what looks like blowby on the underside of the VX body. Is there a vent on the top of the trans or transfer case? The leak looks like it is on top somewhere and dripping down because it is dripping from several locations on the underside of the transfer case.

1999 Astral 0074, 2001 Proton, 1999 Ebony, 1999 Astral 0163
    Yes there is a vent line on top of the transmission. These transmissions are well known for leaking out the front seal. Pull off the metal cover on the bottom of the bell housing and see if it is wet inside.
    "Cast away the unessential to find the essence..."

1999 Astral 0074, 2001 Proton, 1999 Ebony, 1999 Astral 0163
    By the way, my husband and I own a transmission shop in Arkansas.

Is it just a breather style vent or does the line terminate somewhere? I'm wondering if mine is either missing or disconnected. I'll also pull the cover off the bell housing but everything is dry at the front. The fluid seems to be concentrated around the top of the transfer case area.

"By the way, my husband and I own a transmission shop in Arkansas."
    I saw that. If weren't so far away in SoCal I'd be knocking on your door and have you do an inspection for me.

Another known leak area is the selector shaft seal on the drivers side of the trans.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by ahdoman View Post
    Is it just a breather style vent or does the line terminate somewhere? I'm wondering if mine is either missing or disconnected. I'll also pull the cover off the bell housing but everything is dry at the front. The fluid seems to be concentrated around the top of the transfer case area.
    On the passenger's side of the transfer case, there a part that juts out. This is where the low/high selector linkage is located. At the end of that "island" as I like to call it, there is a single line clamped into place, which is the vent line. If you start tracing it, you can find where it has a breather type fitting on it, located up towards the engine bay.