Thread: Catalytic Converters!

Catalytic Converters!

Okay I figured this was the best place to post this, I desperately need some advice.

I have a 1999 VX and recently while driving my car lost power when accelerating, started to overheat, and the passengers floorboard above the cat. began to get really hot. Along with the agreement of others I have decided that it is a clogged cat. converter.

Has anyone had this problem as well? Can you tell me if it was easy to change it? Or if you took it somewhere, how much did it cost?

I've been getting the same advice from a few people, and it's to take out the cats completely and put in a straight pipe... I don't want to do that because if i try to sell it outside of Kansas it won't pass tests, and it just doesn't sound like a great idea anyways.

Any advice is appreciated!!

didnt have that problem

But did have a total exhaust failure due to rust. The shop was able to do a custom rebuild with an aftermarket universal catalytic converter cheaper than the cost of an OEM mufffler
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

X2

Find a 'Mom & Pop' muffler shop in your area that can & will work with you to install the right components. Do not go to a 'Box' store muffler shop that will only install what their computer tells them to.

The exhaust is all welded together so unless you're set up for that kind of work, you'll have to take it in for a shop to do it for you. It's not a 'shade tree mechanic' type job.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Looks like replacement advice has pretty much been covered, so I'm just curious if you have any idea what caused it to go bad in the first place. Had you been seeing any CEL's (check engine light) on the dash lately?

And just an FYI, but if it will help source a replacement, the results I got when I ran an Ebay search for "Vehicross catalytic" indicated that catalytic converters from 98-99 Acura SLX 3.5L's will also work for a VX. Wouldn't be a bad idea for whatever shop you choose to verify that though.

I will, actually, have to replace my catalytic converters in the near future. I had a cylinder go out on my original engine and the shop believes that, during that time, the cat's got clogged up with un-burned fuel and burned/un-burned oil that was exiting through the burnt valve in the cylinder. I am starting to experience a lag in power under acceleration in certain gears, but I am also getting a check engine light at times. Most of the codes have to do with the sensors before and after the cat's so I had a shop check it out and they confirmed that the cat's aren't flowing like they should.

I have been doing some research on replacement cat's and if you get them from Isuzu they are not cheap ($1,400 per side). My local shop wanted to charge me about $1,400 to cut the old cats out and weld in new (universal) ones, but after looking around a bit it looks like there are a few companies that make the entire left and right cat assemblies for the VX (Benchmark, Bosal, Eastern Catalytic) and the prices aren't bad ($300-$400 per side). http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk.../BO099014.html That is one example, but I have found them for less money. These are the complete cat assemblies so there is no cutting and welding involved. You just unbolt your old ones (which might require some heat on the nuts and bolts to get them loose) and bolt up the new ones (with new gaskets).

Hope that helps.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    ...I have been doing some research on replacement cat's and if you get them from Isuzu they are not cheap ($1,400 per side). My local shop wanted to charge me about $1,400 to cut the old cats out and weld in new (universal) ones, but after looking around a bit it looks like there are a few companies that make the entire left and right cat assemblies for the VX (Benchmark, Bosal, Eastern Catalytic) and the prices aren't bad ($300-$400 per side). http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk.../BO099014.html That is one example, but I have found them for less money. These are the complete cat assemblies so there is no cutting and welding involved. You just unbolt your old ones (which might require some heat on the nuts and bolts to get them loose) and bolt up the new ones (with new gaskets).

Hope that helps.
    I saw of the same complete assemblies listed on Ebay for some similar prices, so that could at least be another source for replacement options.

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    I had a cylinder go out on my original engine and the shop believes that, during that time, the cat's got clogged up with un-burned fuel and burned/un-burned oil that was exiting through the burnt valve in the cylinder.
    I was just having problems a week or two before with my cylinder 2 misfiring! That would make perfect sense about what clogged it. I'm hoping to get out of this without spending $1,400, I definitely don't have that kind of money to spend on my car. I called Midas and their standard charge is about $325-$450 per side, but they would be one of the people to just follow the computer. The guy seemed pretty okay but I'm not sure.
    I got this vehicross on March 21st and I haven't had anything but problems so far. I've put some thought into selling it, it's just so hard to think about

Resurrecting this thread because I am in the process of trying to replace my cats before Moab. Just went to my local Midas shop today and got a quote of +/-$1300 just to replace the cats. If I add a muffler the total would be +/-$1800 out the door. Um, OUCH!

I have been hunting online for the bolt in catalytic converters that I mentioned in my other post, but I am having a bear of a time finding the passenger side cat. I have heard good things about Bosal (one of the manufacturers) so I would like to go with them, but so far I've had no luck. Does anyone have a line on cats for the VX? Will I have to go with another manufacturer or pay Midas the ransom?

Is midas the only muff shop in town? I think I would shop around.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Billy, fortunately/ unfortunately I live in a small mountain community and I don't have many options for mufflers (or much else). I called around a LOT and Midas was the only place that would do a "custom" job. I did find the bolt on replacements from Benchmark (anyone ever heard of them?) on Amazon so I will order those and give them a try. Have a friend who has a shop so he will do the install.

I have a 99 vx 3.5 with right hand drive...trouble light is flashing the catalytic symbol and i am sure it is plugging. I see others posting about cats on both left and right sides but my vx has only the one cat on the passenger side.
    It is a bolt on cat. Wondering if mine has been modified ?

1999, Victory White, Ironman, 1567, 1999, Astral Silver(Painted Green Mica), Vehicross, 1454
    I may have same issue. Low power after fresh rebuikd engine and lagging. here somethin rattling in my exhaust behind the cat on right side. Will attempt to purchase an aftermarket 2 bed Cat and weld into the stick locations as i cant find whole exhaust assemblies anymore. Will post pics and results later if i do the repair. First engine blew out the number 6 rod bearing so most likely oil in the cats .