Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cv/boot/half shaft removal question

Cv/boot/half shaft removal question

Yes, I know there is another thread on this subject but a lot of the reference pages and photos end up as error 404.
    Just a simple question (I hope). I need to replace inner and outer CV boots, maybe CVs as well. Can the CV/Half Shaft be removed as an assembly once boots are removed? Do the control arms need to be disassembled to get the half shaft out (with or without the CVs on the shaft)?

I've got the VX shop manual but I don't see anything there about CV/half shaft removal. At least not in sections 3 and 4?

I remember on VW with IRS rear suspension all that was needed was to slide the boots back, unbolt the CV joints and that allowed the CVs to be moved back out of the shallow cups and the whole assembly dropped right out. Any similarity with the VX?
    Last edited by Maddawg : 08/29/2017 at 11:16 AM
    3" suspension lift, shocks: Rancho 9000, tires 33"x11.5", wheels 16"x8", offset= 0, no front sway bar

Maddawg, the 404 errors are extremely annoying. I know tom4bren did a great write up on how to do a differential drop and in that write up he showed how to remove the half shafts.
    It has been a while since I have done it, but I replaced both of my half shafts AND replaced inner and outer boots at different times before and I don't remember disassembling the control arms to get them done. You will need to disassemble the hub at the wheel so you can remove the C-clip that holds the axle in place. You may also need to remove the brake disc to give yourself enough room. Once that is done you should be able to cut the clip holding the inner boot to the end of the axle (commonly called the green cup) and peel the boot back. If your inner CV's have not been serviced before, or if they were and they were put back together correctly, there should be a little wire that sits in a groove just inside the lip of the green cup. That little wire stops the inner CV joint from slipping out of the green cup.
    If memory serves, once that wire is out of the way there should be enough play to allow you to slide the whole half shaft away from the cup to get the inner CV joint apart. Then you can slide the whole half shaft back towards the VX to remove the shaft from the steering knuckle.
    Again, it has been a while and my memory ain't what it used to be, but I know that you don't have to disassemble the control arms to get the half-shafts out.
    I MAY have some pictures of all of this at home that I could hunt down and post if you would like.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

As I currently have a set of shafts on order, I would also like to see any pictures you may have.
    --------
    VX Status: Running Great! Build is coming along nicely...

Sure thing. I will see what pictures I can find. I may also have downloaded tom4bren's diff drop write up so I will see if I can find that too.

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Sure thing. I will see what pictures I can find. I may also have downloaded tom4bren's diff drop write up so I will see if I can find that too.
    Thanks for the response Hardeman! One pic is worth a thousand words the Chinese say. If you can I would surely appreciate it. The last time I had the CV boots replaced it cost me $1500 and I'm not doing that again if I can help it.
    Last edited by Maddawg : 08/29/2017 at 04:08 PM

Also I notice that the HOW TO thread is wiped clean. Who would know about whether it will be restored?

Even if it was just opened again and we had to rebuild it, it would be worth it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Thelgord For This Useful Post:

Maddawg (08/29/2017)

I'm pretty sure this link above will help..

Quote Originally Posted by Nikad92397 View Post
    I'm pretty sure this link above will help..
    Nope, just an error message: Not Found.

PM me your email and I will cut and paste it to you

Step 1: Jack up the front of the VX & remove both front wheels and place on jack stands. Put your jack under the lower control arm and lift just enough to relieve pressure.
    Step 2: Remove the 4 17mm bolts from the lower control arm & lower jack.
    Step 3: Reposition the ball joint bracket to the top of the lower control arm.
    Step 4: Careful with this step if you are re-using your CV boots. Remove the bands from the INNER CV BOOT. Move boot off of CV Joint.
    Tip: I was able to cut the bands with a pair of wire cutters but it took a while & I even managed to not cut the boot in
    the process. A small flat screwdriver helps to hold the band away from the boot whilst cutting. Heavy duty zip ties
    can be used in place of the bands during re-install (not endorsing this but it worked for me).
    Step 5: Locate the wire ring just inside the inner lip and slide a screw driver under it. Pop the ring out. This is the
    retainer ring that holds your CV joint and axle shaft in.
    Step 6: Pull the CV joint out by pulling the brake assembly outward. Cover the CV joint with plastic bag.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nikad92397 For This Useful Post:

Maddawg (08/30/2017)

Nikad, thanks for posting the write-ups. I had forgotten about both tom4bren and NFPgasmask's write-ups on the CV replacement. Very helpful.
    Now that I read your step-by-step above, I do seem to remember removing the lower control arm to allow everything to be removed.
    Thanks for holding on to all of this information.