Thread: Way off topic, need mechanical help

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5

Way off topic, need mechanical help

Hey all! I need some help/advice on an issue on my runner. Normally I would go over to yotatech or ttora, but I know you all are fart smellers, and lets be honest, the guys on those other sites seem to have no regard for other peoples vehicles so sometimes the advice is off and they dont care.
    So I busted another (3rd set) ring and pinion in moab two years ago. I limped her by until two months ago she finally gave out. long story short, I decided to shave a few hundred dollars off the install and drop the axle myself and just pay a professional to do the shimming and spacing.
    Well, I got everything back yesterday and started re-assembling last night, got nearly everything back together, and in true form the last item to go on is the drivers side axle shaft and were in business. Well I go to slide the axle shaft into the housing and it stops about 1/8" short! Theres nothing in the way, the treads for the hub bolts are threaded halfway and I cant find any reason it wont go in the rest of the way. Now, if I spin the axle shaft everything is fine, if I snug up the hub bolts (not enough to suck the hub to the housing) the axle binds and wont turn.
    No bueno.
    So, I know that this isnt a vx, so it isnt exactly what you all are familiar with... But do you think maybe I just need to fiddle with the e locker a bit? (engage, disengage) for it to slide into place? That was my only thought was that maybe the locker is engaged and its blocking the axle shaft from sliding in?
    I read a thread on t4r that another guy had the same problem, they told him to quit being a pansy and suck it together with the bolts. His response was that it eventually popped loud and dropped into place. I dont really like the idea of a loud pop inside my axle where o cant see whats popping?!
    Let me know what you guys think, maybe nothing because these darn yota problems dont belong on an isuzu site
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Give the locker thing a try and if that doesn't work maybe try a few love taps ...maybe its just a tight fit. Thats all I can think of.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I have no idea if the yota axles are similar to ours but I did find one thing that caused a similar issue with the VX.

When putting the axles back in, the passenger side wouldn't insert all the way into the housing. It turned out that I had installed the bearing backwards (see page 5 of the attached pdf). The offset of the external C-Clip was just enough to cause the whole thing not to button up correctly.

Hope that helps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Ya, gonna give it a go tonight billy. I hope thats not true tom, I didnt touch the bearings, and because of it being an axle issue, I cant even have it towed to the shop because I cant bolt the last wheel on
    Id have to completely dissasemble everything again... In my 110 degree garage

Just trying to brainstorm the best I can before I go whacking stuff or forcing something into place. Im really hoping it has to do with the locker being engaged or disengaged

OK.

I had to remove that bearing in order to remove the axle (wouldn't slide past the diff bracket otherwise).

Like I said, I have no idea if the toytoter axle is even remotely similar. 'Sides, you asked for ideas ... you didn't specify that you were only looking for good ones.

Jack, oddly enough, I had the SAME problem with my 91 Trooper, you can read about it here:

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewto...ture&start=150

Never did solve it though.

Bart

Well that isnt very encouraging bart
    These are all 100% factory parts except the ring and pinion, so I hope I dont have the same woes as you!
    well, just got home, gonna give it a go with the rubber mallet and see what happens, called the shop and they said that every once in a while it will just be tight to get in and it just needs a tap. They also recommended unlocking the diff first before I slide the axle in, so ill try that before I get out the bfh and ldub this one into place!

Hope all goes well. Isn't Az summers wonderfull (you will get used to it)

Great news! Everything worked out fine, it was pretty snug, but the bfh got er done!

Kinda hard to explain, but it seems like the axle shaft was all the way in, but the axle hub needed to slide down the axle and seat.
    either way, happy guy! Back on the road, thanks all! Missed seeing you guys in moab this year.

So it all went together after all, and JUST when I was getting ready to tell you to quit being a pansy and suck it together with the bolts.

They must be similar in nature, because the cv's in my front wheel drive car also required some extra effort to get to pop into place. Yours on that Toyota probably just needed a bit more being heavier duty parts.

Good to hear that's all it was.

BFH FTW!!!!

Now stop jumping ledges on large hills at 30mpg. Its not a Jeep.
    --Dave

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo42 View Post
    Now stop jumping ledges on large hills at 30mpg. Its not a Jeep.
    If he's gitt'n 30 mpg, I'll eat one of your shoes...