Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: goodbye carpet

goodbye carpet

Several weeks ago my little boy decided to feed "Monsty" a bottle of milk. Suffice to say, the VX soon reeked like a dead thing. Tried power washing the carpet, baking soda sprinkled on carpet, you name it. No dice. Finally decided to rip the carpet out and go with something more durable. In the process of doing so right now. And I had an idea but wanted to run it past you guys to see if it sounded feasible. Home Depot and other like stores sell a rubber flooring material in various thicknesses which some people use as truck bed liners etc. My thought was to lay this stuff down and use that instead of replacement carpet. Alternatively, I suppose I will probably consider a spray on bed liner type product like Linex or Rhino Lining.

Before I pull the trigger one way or the other, your opinions would be most welcome.

Get a small sample of the rubber material you're thinking of using & see if it will conform to the corners in the floor pan. I'm kinda guessing that it won't fit as well as you'd like ... but it's worth a shot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    I bought a roll of material at Sports Authority that is designed for going under exercise equipment. Has a nice thick, yet flexible, structure. It's a great dark grey color and appears to be easy to trim.

It's my weekend project and I'll post pics as I go along.

It was about $40 for the entire roll that will be long and wide enough to go from the back of the front seat to the rear door.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

You're probably looking for MLV (mass loaded vinyl). Its heavy and durable. Used for sound insulation so there are additional benefits to using it.

I have a roll and will be installing it under the carpet later during the summer to also quiet down the road noise.

T.

Why not just replace the carpet?

Bart

Bart, wasn't it U who put down some rubber mat & THAT made your VX reek for weeks?
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

I know somebody here used rubber/vinyl (whatever) diamond tread plate to line their entire VX...anybody remember who that was? I recall pics too.

ALso, saw the big roll of this stuff at my local Costco this week.
    Recall they had it before, then it went away for a long time, now it's back...maybe for summer.
    Think it was $167 for 10'x12' or something like that.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

T'was I

After baking in the sun for 3 days, all was well.

No increase in throttle response though!!!!

T'was you! Well there ya go nutz bro!

Did the smell ever abate?

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Bart, wasn't it U who put down some rubber mat & THAT made your VX reek for weeks?
    LOL, yeah, I bought a rubber bed liner from Farm & Fleet way back when, for my cargo area. I still have it actually, and yes, it smelled like rubber for weeks. It was just an acrid, tar like smell that took a long time to fade. It wasn't like a nice new tire smell, it was nasty. But it did eventually fade away.

I used it over the carpet in the back too, so I did not remove my carpet.

I ordered replacement carpet for my Trooper from StockInteriors.com, and I figured they would have VX carpet but they do not.

Bart

I bedlinered mine 2 or 3 years ago. No problems, but there are pros and cons.
    Pros-no mess, no cleaning, easy to run wires and get to wires
    Cons-louder (not an issue for me on mud tires and loud stereo), gets hot due to no insulation over tranny, but not ridiculous with AC on or windows down, nice in the winter through )

I used herculiner, just yanked up all foam and carpet, poured the entire gallon and did the spread and smear method. No odor after it cured on the top, but it took a few weeks to cure through, it was squishy underneath but is now rock solid.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    I ordered replacement carpet for my Trooper from StockInteriors.com, and I figured they would have VX carpet but they do not. Bart
    Does anyone know which (if any) of the Isuzu floor pans is shared with the Vehicross? They offer replacements for the Amigo, Rodeo, and 2 door trooper which I think is common with the Vehicross.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    There's no 'I' in denial.

Some terrific ideas, thanks so much guys! Marlin, I'm intrigued by the approach you took. Actually, a friend who owns a body shop is helping me with this and his suggestion is quite similar, basically some form of spray in Rhino Liner like they use to line truck beds. Don't know if that's the best option. But maybe someone in the forum has had some experience with this approach? Otherwise, I might go the route Marlin took.