Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wheel offset

Wheel offset

Hello,

I tried my best trolling the forums for my answer so that I didn't have to inconvenience anyone, but I could not find my answer so it seems this is unavoidable. So here goes.

I have a 'visual' anomaly in regards to my passenger side wheel. Visually, the passenger side wheel looks like it is 'sucked in' while the other tires are identically sticking out. The wheels and tires are the same. The offset is the same. The frame and body are straight. The alignment is straight. I have the Calmini 3 inch suspension lift. I just replaced the factory CV/Axles with Precision brand.

My mechanic thinks that it could possibly be the A-rod. Has anybody had a similar issue? As far as my mechanic can tell, it is not harming my vehicle but I would like to get it fixed, even only for aesthetic purposes. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by Intrepid_Vanguard : 04/14/2014 at 07:04 PM Reason: word edit
    "Remember Tonight... For It is the Beginning of Always." - Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid_Vanguard View Post
    I have a 'visual' anomaly in regards to my passenger side wheel. Visually, the passenger side wheel looks like it is 'sucked in' while the other tires are identically sticking out. ... I have the Calmini 3 inch suspension lift.
    Front or back?

I know there's a little bit of a problem of the rear wheels becoming un-centered as you lift higher, just because of the geometry of the VX butt. Is that it?

Also, is it possible someone left a spacer on a wheel? The fronts wheel hubs are pretty space constrained, and someone may have used a spacer to get some aftermarket wheels on.

Quote Originally Posted by mdwyer View Post
    Front or back?

I know there's a little bit of a problem of the rear wheels becoming un-centered as you lift higher, just because of the geometry of the VX butt. Is that it?
    X2

Calmini actually includes a panhard rod drop bracket in their lift kit that I've not seen in any others. I'm not sure if that fixes the problem but mine has it & the rear axle isn't shifted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

It is the front passenger side. I bought the Vx with the lift so I'm not sure if it has the drop bracket. The mechanic took all of the wheels off and discovered no spacers. He lifted and reset it down on stands to see how the vehicle "spreads out'. he said it looked normal when he did it that way.

It is the front passenger side. I bought the Vx with the lift so I'm not sure if it has the drop bracket. The mechanic took all of the wheels off and discovered no spacers. He lifted and reset it down on stands to see how the vehicle "spreads out'. he said it looked normal when he did it that way.
    Improperly indexed passenger side torsion bar?

"I bought the Vx with the lift so I'm not sure if it has the drop bracket. "

Nah, the bracket I'm talking about is on the rear drivers side.

Your problem boggles the mind. If anything on the suspension was damaged to the extent to 'draw in' that wheel under load, your mechanic wouldn't be able to get it aligned properly.

Swap that rim to the drivers side front & see if the offset is the rim (only thing it could be in my mind).

BTW, what do you mean 'sucked in'? Is that tire farther inboard on the vehicle or is it tucked up into the wheel well?

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    Improperly indexed passenger side torsion bar?
    The way he's describing it, I don't think so. The torsion bar will only move it up & down, not in & out.

With our VXs being hand built the tolerences are a bit different from one VX to another. Possibly just a fender panel is off just a bit from one side to the other?
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Odd. I went to go take a picture of it and now it looks like it sticks out like the rest of them. The ground is slightly uneven but it looks level from the front...
    When I mean 'sucked in' I'm referring to the wheel being tucked in. I bought 5 wheels assuming that they were all of the same size. Well the mechanic discovered that the wheel on the front passenger side was an inch smaller. It was 7.5 instead of 8.5. I figured that had to be it. We swapped wheels and it looked good at first, but the more I looked at it, it looked like it was still off the same distance.
    Not sure what else to do. It looks normal now on uneven ground.

Odd. I went to go take a picture of it and now it looks like it sticks out like the rest of them. The ground is slightly uneven but it looks level from the front...
    When I mean 'sucked in' I'm referring to the wheel being tucked in. I bought 5 wheels assuming that they were all of the same size. Well the mechanic discovered that the wheel on the front passenger side was an inch smaller. It was 7.5 instead of 8.5. I figured that had to be it. We swapped wheels and it looked good at first, but the more I looked at it, it looked like it was still off the same distance.
    Not sure what else to do. It looks normal now on uneven ground.
    Are you saying that your wheels aren't stock? If you have one wheel that's an inch narrower than the rest, even if the tires are all the same size, the tire on the narrower rim will create a different overall look on that corner.

Apologies for any confusion. The wheels are not stock. I bought five not knowing that one of them was smaller than the rest. The 7.5 was on the passenger side but I never noticed until recently. Mechanic switched out tire to the spare 8.5 and I thought that would fix it. It didn't.

Apologies for any confusion. The wheels are not stock. I bought five not knowing that one of them was smaller than the rest. The 7.5 was on the passenger side but I never noticed until recently. Mechanic switched out tire to the spare 8.5 and I thought that would fix it. It didn't.
    And you know that the offset on all of the 8.5's is the same?

Yes. My mechanic measured all of the wheels.

Does the passenger side wheel measure as vertical as the drivers side wheel (same camber) if you use something like a bubble level against the rims themselves?

Apologies for the late reply. I have attached photos. I hope it helps.