Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilt OEM shocks.

Rebuilt OEM shocks.

Now I happen to be a big fan of the ride that the OEM shocks provide when you lift the VX and add big tires. I think that the OEM shocks perform better than other shocks. The current VX that I am working over has some sad Rancho RS9000 shocks and I really don't care for the ride in comparison to the Ebony that I recently sold. One of the first things I am addressing on the Kaiser is the Shocks.
    I must express gratitude to Mile High VX for working with me to get the shocks and also assisting in lining up the rebuild in Golden Colorado. I do not have before pictures of these unfortunately, but I do have after pictures. They look beautiful and I can hardly wait to get them in place and see the difference in the ride. The rebuild is a little spendy, but to have the quality and performance of what the VX came with I think worth it. You have to remember that new these shocks retail for over 500 each, so in contrast the rebuild was minimal. I can't wait to get them dirty.
    If anyone is interested in rebuildt shocks Matt at info@rg3denver.com. I think that the work on these really look great. take a look and judge foor your self.

Thank you to everyone that helped this come together

I'd press the "Like" button if there was one!

They look great!

They look great ... but pretty is as pretty does. Make sure to post how they perform after you get them installed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

how much was it to rebuild them?

I agree with you. I just replaced my still fully functional RS9000's with a set of original OEM shocks (not rebuilt), and love the stock ride. Now I have four bad OEM shocks, including one with a snapped off upper stud, and would like to get them rebuilt for spares. I need to write him with photos to see if that one shock can be repaired.

I like how he resealed the canisters, and also like the looks of the black boots, although I would probably ask for red just for originality.

But, it all depends on whether it is cost effective...
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

First of all I have to say if you own the VX and are worried about cost buy a Honda.
    To rebuild the stock shocks it will cost more than any after market shocks.
    I wanted the stock performance, and the stock shock will last longer than after market shocks. Pluss after the rebuild the cost to rebuild is significantly less because parts that were replaced make future rebuilds less expensive after the initial investment.
    Matt will have to let you know the cost. The set I have was the first VX shocks he has rebuilt and he now he has a good idea what is needed for rebuilding a full set.
    He said that they are time intensive, and he had to fabricate the valve covers because they are no longer available.
    I also would like to have an additional set as a back up so I will be looking for another OEM set as spares. When I get them I'll be calling Matt to have them gone through.
    Black or red had no difference on cost on the boots if I remember correctly. I didn't care what color they were and am happy that they are black since red really isn't what I'm after.
    I will update this post on the performance as soon as I have the rebuilt shocks installed and a chance to get them off the pavement. This will mostlikely be when I visit Moab in May.

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    So BarcoLounga, what is your review of these OEM rebuilds after a year of service?
    There's no 'I' in denial.

arcobarco, how are those rebuilt shocks doing now? Do they perform the same as new? Looking to get mine rebuilt if so...
    Lucas

I really liked the ride difference after I changed out the non OEM shocks. The OEM socks perform great with the 2 inch lift and larger tires. The socks I took off were the adjustable Rancho shocks that are used by many on the forum, and they seem to be fans of them. I was not. The firm OEM ride is one of the traits I like. The wheels feel steady and when the road gets bumpy the shocks do a really good job of keeping the big tires under control. The price was worth maintaining the superior OEM shocks, and ride.
    Last edited by arcobarco : 01/14/2016 at 05:45 AM Reason: Typo

Thanks

Thanks for the update !

Quote Originally Posted by arcobarco View Post
    First of all I have to say if you own the VX and are worried about cost buy a Honda.
    To rebuild the stock shocks it will cost more than any after market shocks.
    Simple questions deserve simple answers. From Matt:

"The original rebuild is around $950, due to the need for 'rebuildable' aluminum seal heads from KYB. These are $70 each so they add $280 to the first rebuild price. After the initial rebuild, they can once again be rebuilt for just $140 per shock, which includes a new oil seal and oil. It can take approximately 2 weeks to rebuild. If you have any questions feel free to call or email."

I have a spare set that I'm about to send in for rebuild. After that, I'll be selling the set I currently have on the truck in the event someone wants to send those in for rebuild. I'm amenable to sending them straight to Matt to save on the extra shipping cost if you'd like.

I rode in Scott's VX (BartsmanS4) after he had his OEM shocks rebuilt at RG3 and they were awesome so I had my shocks rebuilt at RG3 and am installing them on Friday. I will let you know how they preform.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    How's that new ride?
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

The ride is sweet, I tested it out this after noon and it rides so much better I think it is worth the price and I would rebuild again I really like the OEM shocks.
    The cost was $889.77 the next rebuild will be $280 cheaper and I am sure I will do them again and maybe not wait 80K miles next time.
    Here is a picture of them with red boots

Here is one with out boots so you can see them better.

I posted this earlier today but I guess it did not post, strange.