Thread: Calmini lift kit problems

Calmini lift kit problems

This is a Calmini lift which came on the VX when I bought it. The problem is the grinding sound during deceleration. happens around 50 or so. The 4x4 shop said it was a universal joint being of to great of an angle and just like the other thread on this topic and the fix is a teraflex shaft according to the sales people. 350 bucks worth of a new shaft just doesn't sound appealing. I don't think I need much bigger tires because Ive never been stuck in this car and I wouldn't appreciate a decline in fuel consumption. What are the cheapest fixes for this? Id consider buying a welder as a future investment on self sufficiency and changing the angle of some things on the axle. Also losing a few inches on the back side by grabbing some 913 springs wouldnt be to bad. Could torsion bar crank and diff drop fix the angle in the front as well as eliminate this clanking? The clanking sounds like a drive shaft sized ratchet being continuously turned and muffled by being outside of the car while I'm sitting inside. Thnx.

First off make sure your rear driveshaft zerk fittings arewell greased. There are 3 of them. This might alleviate some of the noise.
    However, the best fix is not cheap...adjustable rear links. With these you can adjust the angle ofthe rear axle/diff to correct the angle. Two places have them available for the VX....Independent 4x and Stinky Fab. Another optionis to have a local 4x4 fabrication shop build you a set.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Thanks Tri. Ill check into that. What is the cheapest fix? How about the 913 springs instead? Would take care of the stink bug looking lift.

Stock height springs is about the only cheap way to properly fix it. A high angle driveshaft will fix it also but they are also not cheap.

Good lord, 450 for those adjustable lower links; 350 for the teraflex shaft; seems like a major factor why this dude sold me his VX. Are the folks running 913 having this problem?

Have you greased the zerk fittings that Billy mentioned?? That fixes about 90% of VX's that have this problem.
    Might also need to replace the U-joints if they have been run like this for some time.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

15 year old limited production vehicle with no aftermarket is not the vehicle to own if you want cheap parts unfortunately.