Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommend Me Some Overland Upgrades

Recommend Me Some Overland Upgrades

This is a fun one...

I have drive to and from Alaska, all over Canada, California, Nevada, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, New Mexico, Colorado...I get around and I have had almost zero problems with my VX, love it. Here we are at 80K and I want to beef things up a little teeny bit. I will be buying some things this fall and i would like the advice of those who have come before me.

I will be doing mostly drive train mods as the camping stuff and general maintenance are taken care of. You can quote this list and suggest yay or nay on the necessity for these things as everything works a okay thus far

Warn Manual Hubs

Braided Stainless Brake Lines

Heavy Steering Links

Adjustable Lower Links

Favorite brake pads?

Drilled and slotted rotors

I already have OME 919, General AT2 285/75/16 some driveline buzz when we are not loaded up. Going with OME shocks as well as some new Supersliders.

Engine is good no oil burning used Mobil 1 since day 1

Any other parts you guys can suggest for me?
    Check out VehiCROSSAmerica on Facebook or @VehiXAmerica on Twitter

If you don't already have them...the 3 Trooper skid plates
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Thanks Triathlete after my tube bumper the skids wont fit any longer but I'm working on fabbing some heavy duty aluminum skids, got a buddy who builds race chassis and he's helping out on that project.

IMHO the best bang for the buck for you would be the HD Torsion Bars from Indy ... & maybe the HD ball joints.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Are the Warn hubs better than the Aisin hubs?
    Diff drop?
    Rear diff guard from Rocky Road?
    ARB tire plug kit?
    What kind of jack(s) are you toting?

Sounds like you will be having too much fun!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Are the Warn hubs better than the Aisin hubs?
    Diff drop?
    Rear diff guard from Rocky Road?
    ARB tire plug kit?
    What kind of jack(s) are you toting?

Sounds like you will be having too much fun!
    I trust Warn as an American Company

Rear diff guard is a maybe, not digging the weld on option

Have the tire plug kit as I don't travel with a spare (gasp)

I use the stock jack no problems with it on gravel, dirt, or pavement no need to carry a heavy *** farm jack or stupid exhaust jack

I don't really understand a Diff Drop or feel like I need one, I have maybe 1" lift in the front so those angles aren't too extreme. I like stock...stock=reliable

and tom4bren no heavy front end loads so I don't know about HD torsion bars isn't the front end stiff enough? Do you have them installed?

Quote Originally Posted by Ala5ka View Post
    I trust Warn as an American Company

Rear diff guard is a maybe, not digging the weld on option

Have the tire plug kit as I don't travel with a spare (gasp)

I use the stock jack no problems with it on gravel, dirt, or pavement no need to carry a heavy *** farm jack or stupid exhaust jack

I don't really understand a Diff Drop or feel like I need one, I have maybe 1" lift in the front so those angles aren't too extreme. I like stock...stock=reliable

and tom4bren no heavy front end loads so I don't know about HD torsion bars isn't the front end stiff enough? Do you have them installed?
    Hmm... I had a couple beers at lunch so sorry if this comes off snarky or whatever. No spare... that's how I rolled too - only carried fix-a-flat & tire plug kit - but I admit it was kinda dumb to think that was sufficient, even for the minimal time I spent away from home. No regard toward a real jack or spare says you don't expect to do anything all that challenging or rugged which means to me, HD links, diff guard, HD steering parts would all be a waste of money. I would agree with you, diff drop is unnecessary for your application. If you are not flat-towing then the hubs are also a waste of money (IMO). So it sounds to me like after brake upgrades you are just about ready to go!

tom4bren no heavy front end loads so I don't know about HD torsion bars isn't the front end stiff enough? Do you have them installed?
    Nope but others have. If you only have 1" of lift, then it's not worth it. Mebbe a steering stabalizer would be a nice option though considering your setup.

I like the Aisin hubs better than the Warns. Nothing really wrong with the Warns, but I think the Aisins are simpler, and they are more low profile, and they are very strong. Also, this is just my opinion, but I would get normal rotors. Ever have a rock stuck in a drilled/slotted rotor? It sucks. Just my 2 cents.

Bart

I like the input on the rotors did not think of that, never had anything except stock before

I have been considering the steering stabilizer pending Jo's torture test of them after Moab

Zeus I know what you mean as far as a spare and I used to think the same way. I weighed the positives of a fullsize spare against the weight and space restrictions of the cabin after a month on the road and decided a compressor, ARB patch kit, and a class on tire sutures were better for me coupled with brand new tires every 4-5k miles would do it. That and I never go out alone and most of my Toyota friends run the same size as I do. As far as not wheeling hard I agree, most of my time is spent on highway or fire roads, I don't want to break anything so I don't go to where it may usually happen but I do use the 4 low once every week to get to Vulture Mine Trailhead Wickenburg AZ which means very little to anyone who has never been there.

In conclusion I am not a rock crawler by any means I'm a fire road junky with a penchant for remote campsites, distant glaciers, and hidden fly fishing opportunities.

Jim Creek Alaska

Zeus I know what you mean as far as a spare and I used to think the same way. I weighed the positives of a fullsize spare against the weight and space restrictions of the cabin after a month on the road and decided a compressor, ARB patch kit, and a class on tire sutures were better for me coupled with brand new tires every 4-5k miles would do it. That and I never go out alone and most of my Toyota friends run the same size as I do. As far as not wheeling hard I agree, most of my time is spent on highway or fire roads, I don't want to break anything so I don't go to where it may usually happen but I do use the 4 low once every week to get to Vulture Mine Trailhead Wickenburg AZ which means very little to anyone who has never been there.

In conclusion I am not a rock crawler by any means I'm a fire road junky with a penchant for remote campsites, distant glaciers, and hidden fly fishing opportunities.

Jim Creek Alaska
    One can take a class on tire sutures?! Cool! At least you know you are taking a risk & have tried to plan accordingly. I took the risk & planned haphazardly! More power to ya if you can keep air in your tires thru some trail repair...

I took my stock Trailblazer off the beaten path yesterday. A mild trail can still be a challenge when you have minimal ground clearance & small street tires. I know the desire to beef up parts & customize so if you want all that stuff, go for it, absolutely, but if you were tempted because you think your VX perhaps needs it, in my opinion, for what it sounds like you are doing, it doesn't. What do I know tho!?

Are you working in AZ for a while or something? Exploring while you are in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    One can take a class on tire sutures?! Cool! At least you know you are taking a risk & have tried to plan accordingly. I took the risk & planned haphazardly! More power to ya if you can keep air in your tires thru some trail repair...

I took my stock Trailblazer off the beaten path yesterday. A mild trail can still be a challenge when you have minimal ground clearance & small street tires. I know the desire to beef up parts & customize so if you want all that stuff, go for it, absolutely, but if you were tempted because you think your VX perhaps needs it, in my opinion, for what it sounds like you are doing, it doesn't. What do I know tho!?

Are you working in AZ for a while or something? Exploring while you are in the area?
    Trail breakdown 101 or something like that at Overland Expo in Scottsdale. I spend my winters in AZ because my job is seasonal.

I agree mild trails can be difficult at times, I go out I never go alone

I don't really want to beef anything up so I think I may leave much of it alone for long highway travel (planning on driving the East Coast next winter stay tuned)
    I was under it today and I can say everything looks in ship shape minus some small drips from the transmission (very small) and cracking shock bushings.

I think at 80K I will do routine maintenance and drive till something breaks so brake pads, shocks, tires, serpentine belt, recharge ac (there is some gurgling) and carry extra parts just like last time.

I want an ARB fridge soon, lightweight sliders, front skid to round out my front bumper, and that steering stabilizer seems like it could work out great on gravel roads, and those locking hubs to see if it really does save any on highways.

I will update my build thread as I add things. They will be shipped to AZ to pick up in September after I make cash this summer.

From the pic above I'd put a snorkel at the top of the list. Also the trooer skids I refered to are not the front skid but the 3 that protect the tcase exhaust and tbars.. When combined with the front you get oretty good protection underneath.

...tying into Billy's observation... perhaps a spare alternator should be in your parts bin.

haha thanks guys, yeah the issues I had there was with Glacial Silt in the differentials and wheel bearings, not bad just squeaky.

I will look into those skids ZEUS

I wanted a snorkel but mostly for getting clean air above the dust in convoy situations. I don't cross water unless I must, and for that just having a snorkel would not be enough.

My mantra is fast and light, all of my camping stuff is backpacking and the mods have been lightweight. General AT2's were the closest to stock weight AT tires I could find, i think the inherent reliability of the older 4x4's was that they weighed very little.