Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Figured I should start a build thread

Figured I should start a build thread

As I have so many things going on and in the works, I figured I should get around to starting a build thread. This is my VX:

Current mods:

Drivetrain
    -5MT conversion
    -OEM manual fan delete
    -Ron Davis all aluminum radiator w/custom dual electric fans and shroud

Wheels
    -Gear Alloy 718B Blackjack 18x9, 6x135/5.50, Offset +18, w/5.71 backside
    -285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    -1.5" spacers

Suspension
    -OME 913s springs/torsion bar crank
    -Independent4x steering stabilizer
    -greaseable sway bar bushings
    -ball joint flip
    -Independent4x 1/4" ball joint spacers
    -1.5" diff drop brackets

Exterior
    -LED headlight conversion
    -custom Hella MicroDE Xenon conversion
    -c/f hood insert
    -Weathertech window guards
    -Sylvania 6000k 194 LED horn lights
    -winch plate and mount
    -Curt trailer hitch
    -Westin brush guard
    -Yakima bike racks
    -Yakima Load Warrior roof rack with extension and spare tire clamp
    -Trooper 3 pc skid plates

Interior

-custom floor/rear seat/hatch mats
    -custom LED interior hatch light
    -rear door popper

Upcoming Mods:
    -rear tire mount
    -Independent4x IFS tie rod ends

Odds n' ends I haven't installed yet, and other things I won't mention

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

My VX ownership started about 4 years ago @ 77k. I needed a vehicle to get around as my project car at the time was doing more sitting than driving. I wanted one a long time ago, but had forgotten about them, quite frankly. When it came time to start shopping, I remembered my fondness for them, and the rest is history.

This truck was a single owner vehicle for most of it's life. The second owner picked it up to flip, so he had it for 500 or so miles before he sold it to me. It was a clean truck; it had all maintenance records, no accidents, etc. It came with mismatched tires and these growing on the windshield (still can't figure this one out):

It was having an issue with a vacuum leak when I picked it up, so within the first 3 days, I had to tear into the engine. Turns out it was one of the intake manifold gaskets, so I had to pull the intake manifold and get them replaced.

The first year and a half, I didn't do much to the truck, as I was just using it to get back and forth. I rec'd a donated Curt hitch, and played around with the stereo. The stereo needed an upgrade, so I picked up some old-school horn speakers and some 6.5" mid-bass. I stuck the door speakers in, and that's been done before, so it's no big deal. Mounting horns, however, are a pain, as I found out. Steel strapping is the best bet from what I've been able to determine. It takes a lot of fit and refitting to get the straps all in place and the speaker solidly in place. I had to use a few straps, but the results speak for themselves. The speakers don't move, the straps aren't in the way, and there is more than enough room between the speaker and the pedals, even for the manual conversion.

Here's modification of the straps as the speaker was out during one of the test fittings....

And here it is in place....

Installation took a total of about 5 hrs. Around the same time, I found a 3 accessory outlet for ~$20 and picked it up.

My thought was that in could fit in my center console, and once I trimmed it up a bit, it did.

There are 2 screw holes on either side, so I drilled the console and stuck two bolts in there to hold it in place.

Since the truck has no head-unit, instead playing music through a mounted BT headset, I wanted to control the gain on the amp dedicated to the sub so that I don't advertise when I'm close to home, or driving through bad neighborhoods. I did some searching on eBay and found an RCA gain control.

A guy in GA makes them, and I paid $15 for this one. I liked it so much I bought 3 more for $30 shipped. I have one for overall volume control, and the other is for the sub amp. This is what it looks like under the console:

and when it was all said and done, this is the finished product:

I'm a lot more pleased now. The lid closes and there's no clearance issue. Coupled with no more wires running to the cigarette lighter, it was worth the $40 to knock this out.
    Last edited by eternal21 : 03/13/2016 at 09:23 AM

Thumbs up Kewlness!

I like the originality. Nice work!
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

I found 2 12v power outlets on eBay and wired those in, one in the front, one in the back. They both work like a champ, and are very, very convenient when having to air up the rear tires.

The first one is for the rear seat passengers, and is placed under the ashtray.

The second is in the rear compartment that houses the jack tools.

I also went to the junkyard and scored these from a Rodeo:
    1) The cubby hole blank for my dash so you don't see a bunch of wires where the radio used to be (it'll work for the old 6 CD changer on the bottom of the console, as well, as it has the special "brackets" needed to house both units built in. It looks like a great place to mount a small CB so that it'll blend in w/the truck...

2) and the switch pod to replace the cubby on the left side of the steering wheel. Notice that it has the tailgate release on it. Since we all know the VX doesn't have an automatic release, I eventually acquired a door popper unit to install the Rodeo switch.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

I've always had the belief that when the tires on a vehicle needed replacing, it's the perfect time to upgrade the wheels, as well. Around Feb, 2012, I picked up new wheels and tires.

Two weeks later, the springs and spacers came and up it went.

Last edited by eternal21 : 04/22/2014 at 10:00 AM

I've been wanting a light in the rear of the truck for awhile now, but I didn't want to stick a traditional light back there. I wanted to do something that hasn't been done before. I picked up a set of these www.ebay.com/itm/281279453523 for $40.00.

I pulled off the rear of the top near the back trim piece and drilled a series of small holes to accommodate the screws and clips the lights came with. I then added a drop of super glue on the back to make sure the screws won't back out. Clips installed:

I drilled another hole and installed a little on/off switch.

I had previously installed a 12v socket in the rear, so I tapped into the power/ground to power the LED.

I plan on removing the cabin light, recovering the headliner, and sticking the other one up front.

Installed:

Here it is lit a completely dark garage:

It's a LOT brighter than the pics denote, as is typical of trying to take pictures of lights with a camera.
    Last edited by eternal21 : 04/22/2014 at 10:00 AM

Hahaha & a beaut she is! I am so much more on-board now.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Ditto, that's a very nice looking VX. That first pic reminds me, I am (perpetually) in the market for an insert with a heat extractor (rear-facing) scoop so if anyone has one let me know. I can trade a Line-X'd unmodified insert or just pay cash...

Project day: new suspension bits and high output alternator

I've been having some problems with the battery dying after minimal use as of late. The battery isn't old, but my commute is short, and I'm running a lot of electronics during that short period of time (stereo, HIDs, a couple other odds/ends), and it the alternator has been taxed such that it hasn't been able to properly keep the battery charged. I decided to go ahead and upgrade to a 175amp alternator from www.qualitypowerauto.com It is a direct replacement. Some pics of the internals and a pulley comparison vs the OEM unit:

Installation took ~1hr. Once the wheel/tire comes off:
    a) lift up on the wheel well trim and you can see everything
    b) loosen the drive belt and pull it off the alternator pulley
    c) remove the 2 front facing bolts (14mm)
    d) remove the wire harness clip
    e) remove the plastic protector and loosen the nut (10mm) and pull off the wire
    f) disconnect the ground wire (10mm bolt) from the frame
    g) pull the alternator out from the top first, and work it through the opening.

Re-installation is as simple as reversing the steps above.

Here it is in place:

I had these parts powdercoated a few months ago, and finally got around to installing them today.

Using the Honda ball joint tool made this job a cakewalk.

great-looking truck. Love those rims.
    Had a question about the alternator. I went to qualitypowerauto.com and couldn't find a unit for the vehicross. Did you just use the Trooper alternator from the same year as your VX?
    Also, where did you buy your hood scoop from. I've gotta do that mod this winter.
    Plus... am i crazy (obviously) or did you originally have a Black and Red interior and are now running black and grey?
    1993 Trooper (gone but not forgotten - sniff), 1999 Vx, 2003 Yukon Denali - luv em' all.

Quote Originally Posted by ben-man View Post
    Had a question about the alternator. I went to qualitypowerauto.com and couldn't find a unit for the vehicross. Did you just use the Trooper alternator from the same year as your VX?
    Also, where did you buy your hood scoop from. I've gotta do that mod this winter.
    Plus... am i crazy (obviously) or did you originally have a Black and Red interior and are now running black and grey?
    I want that Hood Scoop too...
    What if the hokey pokey is what it's really all about!

Quote Originally Posted by ben-man View Post
    Sorry it took me so long to respond, I haven't checked this thread in a bit.
    1) Yes, I used the Trooper option.
    2) I had to buy another whole VX just to acquire the hood scoop for my truck. Seriously.
    3) I did have red seats, but when I purchased the aforementioned VX, I swapped interiors b/c I wanted something a bit more subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by eternal21 View Post
    Sorry it took me so long to respond, I haven't checked this thread in a bit.
    1) Yes, I used the Trooper option.
    2) I had to buy another whole VX just to acquire the hood scoop for my truck. Seriously.
    3) I did have red seats, but when I purchased the aforementioned VX, I swapped interiors b/c I wanted something a bit more subtle.
    Did you use the original belt, or does it come with a smaller one?
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

Quote Originally Posted by Knigh7s View Post
    Did you use the original belt, or does it come with a smaller one?
    Original belt. Sometimes the battery warning light comes on/goes off, but I know all is well. I have a new Optima Yellowtop in there (had if for the past 5 months or so) and I check it bi-monthly w/the Optima branded charger, which confirms that the battery is in excellent health and charging just fine.

Let there be light! 4 LEDs are on their way to replace the 4 individual bulbs. Write up to follow shortly.

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    Nice! I'm looking forward to the write up since I have this exact overhead console sitting in my garage.
    There's no 'I' in denial.

And here it is completed. I picked up some blue trim out of the UK, and then converted all the bulbs to LEDs. The interior is BRIGHT now. I wired the main center light to come on when the doors open, and I put an extra switch in to turn that off. The other 4 individual lights are hot all the time, and controlled by the on/off switch that each has wired to it from the factory. I'll get a better daytime pic. Overall, I'm extremely happy w/how this turned out.