Thread: Lower intake manifold blew

Lower intake manifold blew

I see lots of thread on the lower intake manifold but not on adjacent systems that may need maintenance. My engine is nasty and appearing unkept. The symptoms of intake were crazy idling hanging out around 2500. The engine is wobbly when running and shaking the entire car. Through a multiple misfire code and to engine to lean. Then with using a stethoscope and a solid rod I found the high pitched rpm driven whine coming from the lower I take manifold. A mechanic confirmed the leak. It is a very loud sound and at first I did not know what it was. Probably a seasoned mechanic could have diagnosed this from a block away.

What other things should I take care of while I have it apart?

Thermostat and gasket is one thought. Is the timing belt around there? Maybe checking the valve clearance? Sensors that should be cleaned? Id like this VX running freshly. Last owner did not show any signs of maintenance.

I think my question shows my proficiency level in this engine and any engine.
    Last edited by Vinnybin : 04/02/2014 at 07:04 PM Reason: to answer some essential questions other users asked which makes the thread more readable.

What do you mean in your title that the manifold "blew"?

Might as well replace the EGR since you had to pull it off to take off the IM. As you have found out, thing is a pain to get off *lol*. I'd replace the IM gaskets, too.

How many miles are on it?

Also if you plan on keeping it a while there is a remote thermostat housing so you could replace the one under the IM and that way if it goes bad won't have to take IM off again just to get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowgizmo99 View Post
    there is a remote thermostat housing so you could replace the one under the IM.
    first I've ever heard of this, tell us more please.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Here are a few examples sold by JEGS...others available from other suppliers as well...

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...77715/10002/-1
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Well, I guess mine blew out really badly because the engine is so erratic. Perhaps there are more problems then one kicking off. If I could figure out how to post a video Id show y'all. For the thermostat, how many degrees is a safe economical temp? I also may have some kind of engine or transmission mount loose. Its squeaking pretty bad. Which may explain the wobbly engine. By chance, are all of these common problems written out somewhere because I think I have them all. Im gonna pull the codes again and get them up. Just replaced the throttle position sensor and it had no effect. Also amongst all this the AC quit blowing cold. It has 116xxx. If this engine becomes junk Ill probably look into finding one of those old diesel trooper engines and make some biodiesel to run it.
    Last edited by Vinnybin : 04/02/2014 at 07:03 PM

Did you guys separate the IM and clean out the deposits?

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    Here are a few examples sold by JEGS...others available from other suppliers as well...

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...77715/10002/-1
    The one that deermagnet used was different from JEGS. His was a threaded housing (see pic) which means that you'd have to disconnect at least one of the hoses to replace the thermostat. The JEGS looks like a better approach.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I got the one deermagnet used, the one on the left above.