Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LED headlights

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    In the first pictures, what bulbs were you using?
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

I honestly would love to modify my headlights to HID. Living in the backwoods of MD, my stockers are garbage, even with hi-beams on. Sadly, I have no experience working with HID kits and with headlight assemblies being a sought after rare commodity these days, screwing up isnt an option. I imagine I could find a shop to do it, but that means 2x the cost.

I did put some PIAA bulbs in my Crosstrek recently (the US got shafted on HIDs in them, boooooooo!) and they are excellent. I am gonna try them in my VX and if that doesnt do the trick, I will probably just bite the bullet on an HID transformation.

I sure do miss them in my old STi....
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    In the first pictures, what bulbs were you using?
    Sylvania Silverstar

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    I honestly would love to modify my headlights to HID. Living in the backwoods of MD, my stockers are garbage, even with hi-beams on. Sadly, I have no experience working with HID kits and with headlight assemblies being a sought after rare commodity these days, screwing up isnt an option. I imagine I could find a shop to do it, but that means 2x the cost.
    Why not convert the stock fogs to MicroDE HIDs? As you can see in the 2nd pic, it makes a world of difference, and price-wise, it isn't all that bad.
    www.thefundamentalelements.com

WormGod, switching to HID's is, literally, plug and play. The most difficult thing is trying to find a place for the ballasts that run the lights and getting the actual bulb into the headlight buckets. I had to remove my stock air cleaner box just to get enough room behind the driver side light to get the old bulb out and the new bulb in. There is no alteration to anything on the VX to get the HID's in so you could always go back to stock bulbs any time.

If you would like I can write up a step-by-step so you can see what's involved.

The HID's make a HUGE difference. I know our headlights weren't originally designed for HID's, and they can blind some oncoming drivers, but the light output is incredible even on "low" beam. If you switch over to high beam you could rival the sun.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by eternal21 View Post
    The correct kit arrived:
    The kit I received from Amazon.com ($69, Newsun Super Bright Car H4 LED Headlight High and Low Beam LED Head Lamp 6000k 1800lm 25w Cree-1512 Fog Light Kit Sold by Newsun Photoelectric Co.,Ltd) is identical to this one.

About a year after I bought my then new '99 Ironman, a headlight went out while on the road one night. Pulled into one of those late night auto parts stores, bought a new bulb according to the VX manual and installed it, all within about 15 minutes.

This morning just before dawn went into the garage, couldn't get either of the light bulbs out of their headlight bodies. Didn't know hitting 60 would bring an end to DIY pretty much anything beyond what a 10-year-old could do.

A great relief to see your kit worked fine. Will take mine to Alltech to have their pros install it.

I'll take "after" pictures this evening and post 'em so we can see the difference.
    Do you have "after" photos of the completed installation? I'm interested in seeing how you secured the 2 drivers. TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brown View Post
    Do you have "after" photos of the completed installation? I'm interested in seeing how you secured the 2 drivers. TIA.
    Zip ties are your friend I'll get some pics and post them this evening.

Thumbs up

Zip ties are your friend I'll get some pics and post them this evening.
    Great! I want to show the Alltech folks how you tied them down before they install mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brown View Post

Thumbs up Thank you

Thanks for taking the time to shoot and post these informative pictures.

Wrench

Glad I could help, Bill. I hope all goes well w/your install.

Unhappy not DOT approved

Alltech just called to advise they cannot install these LED lights, because they are not DOT approved. That was an unexpected curve ball.

Got mine installed last week. Much brighter and whiter than stock on the low beams.

High beams are so-so. Not much different than low beams.

Can they be used with projectors?

T.
    '01 Keiser VX/'85 Defender 110/'97 Disco XD

Did anyone have any issues with overheating?? My bulbs cut out on me but they were from another source so I'm back to the crummy stock ones...

Quote Originally Posted by Audacity View Post
    Did anyone have any issues with overheating?? My bulbs cut out on me but they were from another source so I'm back to the crummy stock ones...
    I've had no issues w/overheating, and I'm in south-central Tx. My buddy who has a set in his Trooper has been doing fine, as well.....no issues.