Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Suggestions for a Daily Driver

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Location
    2001, Proton, 0617
    Posts
    367
    Thanked: 0

    Suggestions for a Daily Driver

    Ok, this time its a real thread.

    With parts getting harder to find, and mileage climbing. im wanting to make my VX a weekend toy instead of my daily driver.

    Im looking for something reliable and fun, prefer 2 door, but might consider a 4 if its sporty. my budget would be up to 6k...

    So what would you guys/gals try to get?

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Location
    2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Posts
    3,434
    Thanked: 27
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingV77 View Post
    Ok, this time its a real thread.

    With parts getting harder to find, and mileage climbing. im wanting to make my VX a weekend toy instead of my daily driver.

    Im looking for something reliable and fun, prefer 2 door, but might consider a 4 if its sporty. my budget would be up to 6k...

    So what would you guys/gals try to get?
    I'd try to get another 6K...just kidding...

    For me it would be a Suburu WRX. It's a four door but I really like them.

    Good luck with the decision.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Location
    2001, Proton, 0617
    Posts
    367
    Thanked: 0
    Its not cash, i got to find a privet seller willing to do trades for some "Man Toys" witch makes my search MUCH harder.

    I do like the WRX, almost got new one back in 03

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Location
    2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Posts
    3,434
    Thanked: 27
    Found an '01 the other day in WI that was slick for about $6500...dark blue and some nice mods.

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Location
    2000 Proton VX - 0776
    Posts
    9,258
    Thanked: 0
    That's a tough question. It's all about personal preference.

    The 2 DD's that I used to have that I miss the most are '93 Eclipse, & my old Samurai. Both were fun to drive & economical too.

    If you're looking to trade 'boy toy' stuff for a second car, I'd seriously look for an old Samurai. I'm thinking that you'll find more takers along those lines.


    Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Location
    1999, Ebony, VX, #1679
    Posts
    8,422
    Thanked: 3
    A bike! But you might have to spend a bit more than your budget for a good one!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

  7. #7
    Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Former owner of '01 Ebony #0739
    Posts
    1,579
    Thanked: 5

    Thumbs up Maybe this...



    Just put $6000 on your favorite number in Vegas, and there you go...
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.


    My VehiCROSS

  8. #8
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Location
    2000 Foxfire Red Mica, 0555 (RIP) & 0717
    Posts
    6,229
    Thanked: 3
    Is MPG a concern?

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Former Owner of 'ZEUS' aka 1031
    Posts
    3,185
    Thanked: 1
    An Amigo could fit your needs - seems to be the choice option here lately.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

  10. #10
    Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Location
    2001,Kaiser Silver, VX, 0563
    Posts
    4,767
    Thanked: 0
    I picked up an 04 9-3 Aero sedan as a daily driver in 2012 for $5500. Its been a great car over 18 months/20K miles. Its the 2.0T (not 2.0t) . I did a stage 1 tune on it for $200 and its got all the power I need and handles very well. No issues finding new parts yet but if that time comes there are so many out there, used parts are everywhere.


    "Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

  11. #11
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Location
    2000 Proton VX - 0776
    Posts
    9,258
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    An Amigo could fit your needs - seems to be the choice option here lately.
    I resemble that comment!

  12. #12
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    2001, PROTON YELLOW, VehiCROSS, 1451
    Posts
    1,955
    Thanked: 0
    FlyingV77--- I'm in the exact same situation. My Proton is my DD and my daily commute is a 50-mile round trip, so the miles are quickly racking up on the odometer and it stings my wallet everytime at the gas pump. Consequently, I'm looking for a DD with much better MPG, that's a 2-door coupe and fun to drive with a target purchase price of $10K.

    My sights are dead set on getting a gently used 2006 MINI Cooper "S" (the 2006 MINI was the last model year of the original "smaller" size version). I haven't found the exact MINI yet, but I'm searching everyday.

    I just checked-out Autotrader and Cars.com for MINI's under $6K and there are plenty out there. Perhaps a MINI Cooper might fit your goal.


  13. #13
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    SOLD!
    Posts
    7,255
    Thanked: 2
    Car or SUV? New (boring) or old (with character)?

    Bart

  14. #14
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Location
    2000 Foxfire Red Mica, 0555 (RIP) & 0717
    Posts
    6,229
    Thanked: 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    FlyingV77--- I'm in the exact same situation. My Proton is my DD and my daily commute is a 50-mile round trip, so the miles are quickly racking up on the odometer and it stings my wallet everytime at the gas pump. Consequently, I'm looking for a DD with much better MPG, that's a 2-door coupe and fun to drive with a target purchase price of $10K.

    My sights are dead set on getting a gently used 2006 MINI Cooper "S" (the 2006 MINI was the last model year of the original "smaller" size version). I haven't found the exact MINI yet, but I'm searching everyday.

    I just checked-out Autotrader and Cars.com for MINI's under $6K and there are plenty out there. Perhaps a MINI Cooper might fit your goal.

    No X-90? It is the twisted half sister of Tom's recommendation after all.

  15. #15
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Location
    2001, Proton, 0617
    Posts
    367
    Thanked: 0
    i talked to my shop today and asked his opinion. well an hour later still not sure what to get. but he did say he would keep an eye out and might even be willing to trade a car for something that goes "BANG"

Similar Threads

  1. My new daily driver
    By deermagnet in forum Chit-Chat ...
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11/07/2012, 07:31 AM
  2. Is the vx a reliable daily driver?
    By adsero in forum VX Talk...
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09/10/2011, 07:47 AM
  3. New baby and new daily driver
    By samneil2000 in forum Chit-Chat ...
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04/07/2011, 01:57 PM
  4. One of my favorite things to do daily
    By handeeman in forum VX Talk...
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11/18/2009, 08:54 AM
  5. My new Daily Driver
    By VehiGAZ in forum VX Talk...
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06/18/2008, 08:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
$lv_vb_eventforums_eventdetails